Looking for HDMI switch with specific features - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-16-2018, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Looking for HDMI switch with specific features

Hey guys! I don't post a ton here, usually I post on Audiokarma, but this is more up y'all's alley I think.

I need an HDMI switch with somewhat specific features. If anyone has any they can recommend, please let me know! I've looked for about 30 minutes so far on various sites (eBay, Amazon, Best Buy) but not yet found exactly what I need.

Features needed:

- preferably a reliable "name brand" device (Monoprice, etc) but not 100% required
- DIGITAL COAX audio output - NOT TOSLINK/OPTICAL. Ideally it will just have one coax output...not one per output channel, as I have only one available coax input on my DAC. I've found plenty of units with optical out, but not as many with digital coax output.
- Must have at least 2 inputs x 1 output, but 4 inputs x 2 output would be best (for "future-proofing" - in case I add a projector down the road).
- MUST support 4k @ 60 hz - NOT 4k @ 30 hz (this one has been tripping me up a lot).
- Remote is preferred but not 100% required.

You would think it would not be hard to find a unit with these features, but so far I have not been able to...always been tripped up by one thing or an other.

Actually I did find one unit that is exactly what I need, but an Amazon reseller is trying to sell it for $999! No way!

I've found others that were very close, but not quite having ALL of the above.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-16-2018, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 3572
Hello

you are right that most of the HDMI audio extractors have Toslink outputs:

consider a Toslink to Coax digital audio adapter: they cost under $20.00 and work well

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

post #3 of 3 Old 07-16-2018, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
Hello

you are right that most of the HDMI audio extractors have Toslink outputs:

consider a Toslink to Coax digital audio adapter: they cost under $20.00 and work well
I always forget that those exist...LOL. Thanks. That should open up some possibilities for me, I think!

Will let you know which one I choose.

I need to keep my Toslink open for my Apple Airport Express...streaming my iPad through that. I use that so I don't have to turn my OLED TV on just to stream music. Not that I pamper it all that much, but no need to put hours on it for listening to music.

First coax is from a CD player. The second coax will be from the HDMI switch, which I will feed my Blu-Ray and Nvidia Shield into.

With that said, if anyone has a switch that they like well, let me know. I currently own one switch - a Monoprice - but it doesn't support 4k. I like to avoid "no brand" units if possible, but we'll see. Picture-in-picture might be cool too, I guess...not that I'll probably use it much, if any...might be cool for sports, if there's two games I want to watch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page