Non-Audiophile, Setup Suggestions - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-03-2018, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Non-Audiophile, Setup Suggestions

Hi guys,

I'm not an audiophile and dont have the room for a full proper 5.1 with reciever etc, but I do like things to be proper (space pending), so I would like some assistance with setting my stuff up correctly. I have:

PS4 Pro
Xbox One X
Nintendo Switch
Gaming PC with Sound Blaster Z connected via Optical to Logitech 5.1, supports Dolby/DTS.
GTX1080 with HDMI to the TV. Reports my TV as supporting six-channel Dolby only.
Astro A50S in Optical Passthrough Mode.

Sony KDL55W800B TV that has Auto and PCM mode for audio output. (I have it on Auto)
Sony HT-CT60BT Soundbar that supports Dolby only, not DTS and has surround emulation. (Usually, have that on)
All the consoles and PC are connected directly to the TV via HDMI.
TV Optical Out connects to the Optical In on the Astro A50
Astro A50 Optical Out connects to the Sound Bar Optical In.

Consoles/PC hdmi out ---------HDMI------------> TV ----------optical---------Astro---------Sound Bar
PC optical out -------> Logitech 5.1 system

With this setup, I can use the Astros as a wireless headset for late night viewing, for any device. (don't care for the Mic)
I have the Switch in Surround mode.
I have the Xbox HDMI audio set to "Bitstream out" and the Bitstream format set to "Dolby Digital."
I have the PS4 set to "Bitstream (Dolby Digital)

The Nvidia Audio Out is set to 5.1 speaker setup in Windows Sound Panel
I use Kodi for my media, I have that set to 5.1 channels.
I have passthrough enabled for Dolby Only. Can tell its working because when I push the "Info" button on the TV remote, it comes up with "Dolby Digital 1080p 12bit", when it's not working, its just "1080p 12bit."

My main question is, with things like surround emulation, does it (the soundbar/a50s) need to be fed a 5.1/7.1 source to achieve this? I have found if I set everything to stereo and turn off any emulation, everything is louder and up front if that makes sense. I still get that left side/right side audio.
If I set what I can to 5.1 and turn on the emulation, get the same experience, but some things sound further away/quiter.

I know it comes down to personal preference pretty much, but should I have anything set to anything else, thoughts/suggestions etc!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-04-2018, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 153
I would ask that question (about input 2.0 vs 5.1/7.1)on the sound bar section, or better luck asking it on an Amazon page that sells it and has current owners.
But in my experience any device that matrixes a signal makes it quieter than good old stereo. I believe us purist call it washed or smeared!

Music, more music.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
a50 , ps4 , setup , soundbar , Xbox

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page