Is this possible: Speaker Wiring - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By bigguyca

post #1 of 4 Old 09-28-2018, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Is this possible: Speaker Wiring

So please forgive me if this is the dumbest question ever asked here, but here we go:

Theoretically, let's say that I'm having a very hard time deciding on speakers and if some will be towers, some bookshelves, and if the latter, if they'll be wall mounted or on a stand. Let's also say that time frame for drywall going up is quick and I don't want that to rush me into a decision.

So, would it be possible, using 4 conductor speaker wire, to use 2 of the conductors that would terminate to a wall plate for wall mounting and then the other two conductors to terminate near the floor in case of tower usage? Effectively have the 4 conductor wire act as its own splitter without having to mess with anything on series/paraell? Only one "placement" would be run at a time.

If this is possible, is it advisable? Any potential downsides?

Thanks, and be gentle!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-28-2018, 10:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 5741 Post(s)
Liked: 4091
Quote:
Originally Posted by matpal View Post
would it be possible, using 4 conductor speaker wire, to use 2 of the conductors that would terminate to a wall plate for wall mounting and then the other two conductors to terminate near the floor in case of tower usage? Effectively have the 4 conductor wire act as its own splitter without having to mess with anything on series/paraell? Only one "placement" would be run at a time.
Yes.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-30-2018, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4815 Post(s)
Liked: 2852
Quote:
So please forgive me if this is the dumbest question ever asked here, but here we go:

Theoretically, let's say that I'm having a very hard time deciding on speakers and if some will be towers, some bookshelves, and if the latter, if they'll be wall mounted or on a stand. Let's also say that time frame for drywall going up is quick and I don't want that to rush me into a decision.

So, would it be possible, using 4 conductor speaker wire, to use 2 of the conductors that would terminate to a wall plate for wall mounting and then the other two conductors to terminate near the floor in case of tower usage? Effectively have the 4 conductor wire act as its own splitter without having to mess with anything on series/paraell? Only one "placement" would be run at a time.

Thanks, and be gentle!
It's probably too late, but (if at all possible) you should consider running single-pair speaker wires wherever you think you might want to have speakers in the future. Modern 3D surround-sound speaker systems can have as many as 9 ear-level speakers, 6 overhead speakers and several subwoofers.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 10-01-2018, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1238 Post(s)
Liked: 1046
Quote:

Thanks, and be gentle!

Wires are nice, but if you still have access to the wall spaces then running conduit, in this case plastic pipe from a central location in say in the attic or some other assessable location, to locations where you may want something in the future; a TV, an Ethernet drop, speakers, whatever, will give you ultimate flexibility. Just cover the conduit outlets with plastic wall plates. Plans and usage scenarios change, conduit provides a lot optionality going forward.
18Hurts likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page