REW EQ 1-position or multiple position - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-08-2018, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
REW EQ 1-position or multiple position

I'm ready to do the REW measurements, I have PC set up with software installed and operational, a calibrated UMIK-1, mic stand boom, and I've read the "Getting Started with REW Rev 5.48 Sept 7 2018" document.

The document appears to only take one set of measurements for the MLP and EQ what you can and room treat what you can.

Is that all?

I'm trying to set-up a Home Media Room with a 5.2 set-up.

Looks like all that work is for a "1-position" set-up.

What do y'all do after the "1-position" REW, UMIK set up? Do you then run Audyssey multiple position set up? Or does running Audyssey ontop of REW EQ too much signal processing? I'm trying to optimize sound for a 4' x 2' area on a sectional couch.

What do you guys recommend to optimize sound over the single "1-position" location or is the "1-position" EQ the best it gets?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-09-2018, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4815 Post(s)
Liked: 2851
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerTOOLsu View Post
I'm ready to do the REW measurements, I have PC set up with software installed and operational, a calibrated UMIK-1, mic stand boom, and I've read the "Getting Started with REW Rev 5.48 Sept 7 2018" document.

The document appears to only take one set of measurements for the MLP and EQ what you can and room treat what you can.

Is that all?

What do y'all do after the "1-position" REW, UMIK set up? Do you then run Audyssey multiple position set up? Or does running Audyssey ontop of REW EQ too much signal processing? I'm trying to optimize sound for a 4' x 2' area on a sectional couch.

What do you guys recommend to optimize sound over the single "1-position" location or is the "1-position" EQ the best it gets?
A 1 position measurement is appropriate if you want to optimize your main listening position and let the other seats get whatever they get. In most cases, this is appropriate, since few visitors would notice the difference.

If you want to improve the audio (especially flatten the bass response) you can make separate measurements in multiple locations and tweak things "appropriately". The DSPs that I'm aware of which can be controlled by REW's output only work for a single position, but one can adjust the positions of room treatments and furniture to get better results. If that's too much of a pain, then you probably should consider using an automated room EQ system like Dirac Live or Audyssey. Then you can use REW to find out just how good a job it did. Both Dirac and the current version of Audyssey (with the $20 MultEQ smartphone app) provide ways to shape the desired frequency response.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #3 of 3 Old 11-09-2018, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerTOOLsu View Post

Is that all?

These screen captures might help to decide. My Rotel receiver allows to put some EQ filters for 20Hz to 200Hz and 1 K Hz to 16 k Hz. Since I use the average of 9 measures, I use less filters for better results than whe I used only one measurements. The 9 measures are taken "à la Dirac" i.e. 9 ositions of the mic in a diameter of 1 meter around the MLP.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	One measure vs 9 pos FL.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	2480228   Click image for larger version

Name:	One measure vs 9 pos SUB.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	2480230   Click image for larger version

Name:	One measure vs 9 pos FR.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	2480232  

My system 5.1 :ROTEL RSX-1562 /Fronts: B & W 804 D2; surround : B&W 704 and center B&W HTM4d2 /sub SVS PC 2000 / TV Samsung UN55ES8000
/BD player Cambridge CXU/ set-top (cable box) rented from cable co. PEQ by nanoAvr-DL Dirac Live between CXU and receiver
Bis Audio cables and power bar from the wall to the receiver
My room:15'4" x 11' 6" x 7'6" tv near the center of the long side wall
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page