MiniDSP in/out put level and choice of plugin - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-25-2018, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
MiniDSP in/out put level and choice of plugin

Will do a multisub config and have a 2x4 balanced version, in 0.9/2 V in, 2 V out. I bought the 4 way crossover plugin (recommended in a forum thread I read) but wonder now if this was wrong to buy, should I have bought the 2x4 advance? In the 4Way plugin I´m missing the inout/output matrix.

Been reading the “Using MiniDSP 2x4 to Time-Align Multiple Subs On One Channel before Room Correction” guide written by AustinJerry. Link:
https://www.oaudio.de/out/media/Mult...2x4.pdf#page37

According the guide one should first gain matching the sub, step 1, and in a later step determining the gain structure, step 7. Is this really correct, if the gain is off in step 1 it might cause damage to the miniDSP?

Anyway I did it the other way around. Now wondering if I should go for the 0.9 or 2 V input in the Minidsp since my output is more than 2 V?
Marantz SR 5006 stereo mode. pre-out sub set at 0dB, AVR master volume 0dB, REW -3dBFS, connected by HDMI from PC to AVR. Crossover 80Hz main / sub, Measured voltage on AVR pre-out sub connector: 2,4 V
If lowering pre-out sub level to -2 dB -> 1,922 V
If lowering pre-out sub level to -8,5 dB -> 0,902 V

After reading about measuring I tried to change the crossover to 250Hz and measured again, now I had to lower the pre-out sub level to -11 dB to get 0,882 V. I don´t know what crossover to use today so I left the -11 dB setting. Right or wrong?

Please also check these print screens, if it looks okey levelwise?

Input with 0,9 V

Output

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-30-2018, 08:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 2974 Post(s)
Liked: 1734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niklasmagnus View Post
should I have bought the 2x4 advance? In the 4Way plugin I´m missing the inout/output matrix.
Do you need the matrix? It looks like the setup you posted performs global EQ on all 4 outputs, and lets you adjust time delay in each output. Is that not what you wanted to do?

Quote:
According the guide one should first gain matching the sub, step 1, and in a later step determining the gain structure, step 7. Is this really correct, if the gain is off in step 1 it might cause damage to the miniDSP?
You will not damage it with input signals.

Quote:
Anyway I did it the other way around. Now wondering if I should go for the 0.9 or 2 V input in the Minidsp since my output is more than 2 V?
I would probably have selected the 2V sensitivity setting to best match with your preamp output level. After you get everything running, see if you can calibrate the system (SPL using the AVR test signals). If you can do so without applying more than +10 on the AVR subwoofer trim, you're good to go. Otherwise, raise the gain on all the subs.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
post #3 of 7 Old 12-15-2018, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Do you need the matrix? It looks like the setup you posted performs global EQ on all 4 outputs, and lets you adjust time delay in each output. Is that not what you wanted to do?
Will use the 4 way then.

Quote:
You will not damage it with input signals.
Okey, great to know.

Quote:
I would probably have selected the 2V sensitivity setting to best match with your preamp output level. After you get everything running, see if you can calibrate the system (SPL using the AVR test signals). If you can do so without applying more than +10 on the AVR subwoofer trim, you're good to go. Otherwise, raise the gain on all the subs.
So you mean after all is running with 2V input on minidsp, use the AVR internal test signal procedure for setting the speaker levels. And if AVR wants to boost the sub level more then +10 dB I should increase the gain on the Sub amps to keep the AVR sub level below +10 dB?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-16-2018, 12:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 2974 Post(s)
Liked: 1734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niklasmagnus View Post
So you mean after all is running with 2V input on minidsp, use the AVR internal test signal procedure for setting the speaker levels. And if AVR wants to boost the sub level more then +10 dB I should increase the gain on the Sub amps to keep the AVR sub level below +10 dB?
Based on your earlier data:
Quote:
If lowering pre-out sub level to -2 dB -> 1,922 V
If lowering pre-out sub level to -8,5 dB -> 0,902 V
it looks like the 2v setting for the MiniDSP input sensitivity is best for the S/N. But for subwoofers there's no hiss problem so it is really not a critical choice.

Whichever setting you use, you will eventually calibrate the subwoofer SPL with the AVR test tones, and if you have to make extreme boost or cut adjustments to the gain trim in the AVR, might want to try the other input sensitivity setting.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
post #5 of 7 Old 12-16-2018, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Based on your earlier data:
it looks like the 2v setting for the MiniDSP input sensitivity is best for the S/N. But for subwoofers there's no hiss problem so it is really not a critical choice.

Whichever setting you use, you will eventually calibrate the subwoofer SPL with the AVR test tones, and if you have to make extreme boost or cut adjustments to the gain trim in the AVR, might want to try the other input sensitivity setting.
Thanks
post #6 of 7 Old 02-05-2019, 11:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 11
MiniDSP in/out put level and choice of plugin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 7 Old 06-25-2019, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter

Gain on power amp

So after buying a new old AVR (Marantz SR7009) I need to go back to the guide and redo a few of the steps, and now I also have the Pre-out from all LCR.
"Using MiniDSP 2x4 to Time-Align Multiple Subs on One Channel before Room Correction"

Been thinking about the steg 1, gain matching subs. Since I run two Crown amps for subs and LCR I was reading about how the gain works. And as I understand it, if setting the gain on power amp lower then 0 (unity) I want get full power from them? So, coming back to steg 1 i guide, should I really adjust the MLP level by changing on power amps gain?

Edit: maybe this is a non question. I read this on Crowns FAQ:
Should I have the level controls on my amplifier turned all the way up?
It depends on the system and how much gain you have prior to the amplifier. The level control can be thought of as an input attenuator. It does not limit the power available from the amplifier. With the level controls turned down the amplifier can still reach full rated output power, it just takes more drive level from your mixer to achieve it. Generally, you should set the mixer's individual channel fader and master gain to 0 dB, then adjust the amplifier level controls to the desired sound level.

Last edited by Niklasmagnus; 06-25-2019 at 04:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page