Dolby Headphone/Atmos and Sonic w Headphones on MPC+LAV - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By KurianOfBorg
  • 1 Post By bdht

post #1 of 4 Old 11-30-2018, 01:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Dolby Headphone/Atmos and Sonic w Headphones on MPC+LAV

Hello,

What are the correct settings for using Dolby Headphone, Atmos/ and Windows Sonic on a headphone setup on MPC HC/BE + LAV filters? Sound card is Xonar DGX, headphones (Sennheiser 380 Pro) plugged into headphone jack. The source will be 5.1, 7.1 or either of these with Atmos.

So far I have been using the Dolby Headphone feature on the sound card, but I'm not sure I'm doing it right:
In windows (10 x64) I set up the speakers as 5.1. I select 6 channels in the sound card, and headphone for analog out.

In the LAV Audio Decoder Properties - Status I can see the bars for 6/8 channels in the Input and Output going up and down (during playback).
Do the mixers in MPC/LAV need to activated? If so which one?

For Windows Sonic I know that the output of the player needs to be set as 7.1.
What about Dolby Atmos.

Lastly, how do the Atmos and Sonic compare to the Dolby Headphone feature?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-30-2018, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 90
According to these 2 threads the Dolby Atmos in Windows cannot decode Atmos signals.
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/ind...topic=114861.0
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-ho...-madvr-55.html

I'm still not sure if I'm using the Dolby Headphone feature right via MPC HC.

Last edited by noob00224; 11-30-2018 at 05:24 PM.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-18-2019, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 35
The sound card should be set to plain Stereo / Headphones mode and have all processing turned off, including Dolby Headphone.
Enable Windows Sonic for Headphones / Dolby Atmos for Headphones in Windows' Spatial sound settings.
The media player should use the System Default or MPC Audio Renderer and have mixing turned off.
LAV Filters should have mixing turned off.

You can now hear spatialization from up to 7.1-channel audio, and can test it by toggling Spatial sound on and off in Windows.

Third-party applications do not support decoding Atmos streams as there is no decoder, so they cannot pass object-based audio to Spatial sound. You will only hear a spatialized version of the 7.1-channel mix. I believe there is an official Atmos decoder that works in conjunction with Dolby Atmos for Headphones, but it only works in supported applications like Edge, Films & TV, Netflix, etc.
noob00224 likes this.

Last edited by KurianOfBorg; 03-18-2019 at 12:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-19-2019, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurianOfBorg View Post
The sound card should be set to plain Stereo / Headphones mode and have all processing turned off, including Dolby Headphone.
Enable Windows Sonic for Headphones / Dolby Atmos for Headphones in Windows' Spatial sound settings.
The media player should use the System Default or MPC Audio Renderer and have mixing turned off.
LAV Filters should have mixing turned off.

You can now hear spatialization from up to 7.1-channel audio, and can test it by toggling Spatial sound on and off in Windows.

Third-party applications do not support decoding Atmos streams as there is no decoder, so they cannot pass object-based audio to Spatial sound. You will only hear a spatialized version of the 7.1-channel mix.
Perfect advise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurianOfBorg View Post
I believe there is an official Atmos decoder that works in conjunction with Dolby Atmos for Headphones, but it only works in supported applications like Edge, Films & TV, Netflix, etc.
O! Interesting I hadn't seen that, I'm going to have to try this, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
Lastly, how do the Atmos and Sonic compare to the Dolby Headphone feature?
You may want to try some other renderers as they may work/sound better for you.

https://www.waves.com/nx/mac-windows-app

https://fongaudio.com/out-of-your-head-software/

Also, it's recommended to equalize headphones to have a generally flat uncompensated response when using hrtf binaural convolution.

enjoy
noob00224 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page