HDMI and fiber optic cables neccessary? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By Nobr8ks
  • 1 Post By nycmat
  • 2 Post By Madmax67
  • 1 Post By BassThatHz
  • 1 Post By godfatherip

post #1 of 12 Old 12-21-2018, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
HDMI and fiber optic cables neccessary?

Hi I'm currently upgrading my system to 4K. I've purchased a 65" OLED and a Yamaha rxa760 receiver. I've also purchased 10' 4K hdmi cables. I went into a store to purchase a monster surge protector and the salesmen was trying to sell me a fiber optic cable for sound hard. I said no. But I wanted to ask anyone to give me unbiased info regarding. So if I am running a HDMI 4K- do I need fiber optic cable to receiver for sound? Any help and guidance regarding this is much appreciated Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-21-2018, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Google "Monoprice" inexpensive and prompt shipping. They have any cable you'd ever need.
Muphasta likes this.
post #3 of 12 Old 12-21-2018, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Love mono price thank you very much
Muphasta likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 12-21-2018, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2217 Post(s)
Liked: 2515
Short answer is no for runs under 25 feet. Monoprice Certified Premium is best for runs under that and CP slimline versions are available for lengths up to 8 feet. Hybrid Fiber is mostly recommended for runs over 30 feet.
ChromeJob and GoZags13 like this.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #5 of 12 Old 12-22-2018, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2084 Post(s)
Liked: 1093
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycmat View Post
Hi I'm currently upgrading my system to 4K. I've purchased a 65" OLED and a Yamaha rxa760 receiver. I've also purchased 10' 4K hdmi cables. I went into a store to purchase a monster surge protector and the salesmen was trying to sell me a fiber optic cable for sound hard. I said no. But I wanted to ask anyone to give me unbiased info regarding. So if I am running a HDMI 4K- do I need fiber optic cable to receiver for sound? Any help and guidance regarding this is much appreciated Thanks in advance

Next time ask them if they sell unicorn farts and leprechaun boogers. They’re great for speaker connections and audio clarity.

"Exceedingly odd," said the butler.
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #6 of 12 Old 12-26-2018, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Lol
post #7 of 12 Old 12-30-2018, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked: 4294
They do make optical HDMI cables, but that is for people with projectors at are more than 20ft away.
People with 10,000cuft rooms etc.
It's not something a normal person needs.

If they are talking SPDIF, that's a 90's era technology dude. That doesn't support HD7.1, and certainly not DTS:X or Dolby Atmos. It maxes out at Dolby 5.1 or PCM 2-ch, VHS/DVD-era.

Quote:
I went into a store to purchase a monster surge protector and the salesmen was trying to sell me a fiber optic cable for sound hard. I said no.
SurgeX is one of the top shelf surge suppressors. It suppresses almost unlimited surge energy. https://www.ametekesp.com/surgex/hom...eater-120-208v

Most of the Monster, Furman, Panamax etc use parallel MOV's which die after the first blast of lightning in a storm (not only that, they let 600volts through STILL), SurgeX is designed to handle a minimum of 1000 6000V strikes without failure of the device or the protected load, and 100's of thousands of strikes at slightly lower voltages. 0V let through.

MOV's work by directing the surge from the hot into the ground (the same ground that the whole audio system uses EEK! ). SurgeX doesn't redirect the surge anywhere, it absorbs it, in opposed magnetic fields and stores any excess in capacitor banks rated for it. Worst-case: for RMS swells beyond half a cycle it actives Omega relays until the utility goes back to normal.

If you want to "condition" the power, I'd recommend a CyberPower or APC online pure-sine UPS.
Stabilizers are ok but they don't protect against sustained brown outs or black outs.

Online UPS's are expensive though, their entry-level puresine line-interactive ones are <$200 on amazon.
(SurgeX also makes UPS's, but I'm sure they ain't cheap.)

The electronics in my Home Theater costs tens of thousands, I only trust SurgeX to protect my UPS's, and the UPS then protects my projector and everything else. I also have multiple whole-house surge suppressors for additional added protection. My internet and TV are optical so no surges can come through that. (I ain't messing around )
18Hurts likes this.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-01-2019, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 401
How did we get to surge protection and line conditioning... no OP, you don't need tos if your receiver has HDMI input.

Astell&Kern Futura SE100-Klipsch x11i-Klipsch x20i-Focal Clear
Pioneer SC85-NOS Valves NBS Preamp-NOS Valves Magnequest VRD
Klipsch Cornwall-Heresy II Signature-SW115-La Scala II 70th
Wyred4Sound DAC 2v2se 10th Anniversary-OPPO UHP203
Samsung PN64D8000-LG C7/65"
post #9 of 12 Old 01-01-2019, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2084 Post(s)
Liked: 1093
OP said that's what he went to the sto' fo', some power protection. @BassThatHz shared some tips.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-16-2019, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 110
I wish I bothered to to read the source/display label.... before... I ran my 50 foot cable through and behind walls.... 🙄
post #11 of 12 Old 04-17-2019, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
If you are getting a clean image free of any zits and dropouts, and sound free from clicks and pops, that's as good as it gets. No cable is going to improve the image or sound further.

Like stated in above posts, fibers is needed for long runs over 25 feet but even then if you have a 50ft cable that works at 4K, just use it. No need to upgrade.
post #12 of 12 Old 04-17-2019, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Was he trying to sell you a fiber optic HDMI cable or a toslink optical audio cable?

Anyway for a 10' run you don't need fiber optic HDMI, any good quality HDMI cable should be fine.

A toslink optical audio cable is probably unnecessary too unless you have problems with HDMI ARC (audio return channel). The single HDMI cable you run from the AVR to the TV should allow the TV to send an audio signal back to the AVR when you are using the TV's built in smart apps. Sometimes ARC is finicky though and there can be problems with audio dropouts over ARC. In this case an optical cable can be a good solution to send audio from the TV to the AVR. For other devices that you hook up to the AVR an HDMI cable is all you need and in fact gives better audio quality than a toslink optical audio cable.
ChromeJob likes this.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| LG OLED65C8P | Pioneer VSX-LX503 | Def Tech BP9040 + CS9040 + A90 + SR9080 | Klipsch R-112SW |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page