Bedroom sound - should I go sound bar or Receiver 2.0? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Wayne A. Pflughaupt

post #1 of 8 Old 12-27-2018, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Bedroom sound - should I go sound bar or Receiver 2.0?

Here's my situation: I have my better TV, C8 OLED in my bedroom, and I wanted some good sound to go with it. I really don't want to clutter the room up with too many components or speakers, but I wanted the best sound possible as I would do most of my movie watching here.

I already do have some speakers from the living room I could use, Bowers and Wilkins. In the bedroom Currently I have 2 Apple Home Pods in there that are OK for Apple TV, but not enough.

1.) Do I get a sound bar? Was thinking either a Bose 700 - but possibly that Nakamichi as I'd like Atmos and it seems really well reviewed for the price. Did consider the Sony ones as well.

2.) I could get a slim receiver like the 1609 Marantz, and use a few of my existing speakers from another setup. I have a pair of the BW 685 S2, and M1. (With center channel/sub too)

I didn't want to use all of those speakers in my bedroom, though - so I thought if I would be happier with a good sound bar, or just using 2.0 - maybe 2 Bowers and Wilkins 685s.

I don't want a subwoofer, don't want too loud of a system in there so I'd be OK with 2.0, maybe 3.0 with some virtual DTS X/Atmos simulation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-27-2018, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashtest3 View Post
Here's my situation: I have my better TV, C8 OLED in my bedroom, and I wanted some good sound to go with it. I really don't want to clutter the room up with too many components or speakers, but I wanted the best sound possible as I would do most of my movie watching here.

I already do have some speakers from the living room I could use, Bowers and Wilkins. In the bedroom Currently I have 2 Apple Home Pods in there that are OK for Apple TV, but not enough.

1.) Do I get a sound bar? Was thinking either a Bose 700 - but possibly that Nakamichi as I'd like Atmos and it seems really well reviewed for the price. Did consider the Sony ones as well.

2.) I could get a slim receiver like the 1609 Marantz, and use a few of my existing speakers from another setup. I have a pair of the BW 685 S2, and M1. (With center channel/sub too)

I didn't want to use all of those speakers in my bedroom, though - so I thought if I would be happier with a good sound bar, or just using 2.0 - maybe 2 Bowers and Wilkins 685s.

I don't want a subwoofer, don't want too loud of a system in there so I'd be OK with 2.0, maybe 3.0 with some virtual DTS X/Atmos simulation.
Also I'd be open to suggest for a good amplifier to power the 685 s2s, smallest possible. The Marantz slim line is still really large for a bedroom in my use case. Anything that would play nice with my LG C8 and let me use the passive speakers without a huge receiver/amp?
post #3 of 8 Old 12-27-2018, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Well, here's what I did. It's a little different than what you're thinking about though but something to consider anyway.

I've got a wall-mounted 65" LCD in the bedroom and struggled with the same dilemma regarding sound. I decided to go with wall-mounted bookshelves for LCR (Axiom Audio) and two in-ceiling speakers for surrounds. I was lucky enough to have room in the master closet for all the gear.

If I didn't have the room to stash the gear, I'd try harder to find a place to stash the gear. If I still couldn't do it, I'd probably have done what you're considering; get a good soundbar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-28-2018, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 333
If you aren’t interested in surround sound, I’d just get a soundbar.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Ratman likes this.

Equipment List
"A nice mid-fi system," according to an audiophile acquaintance.

Reviews and Tech Articles
post #5 of 8 Old 12-28-2018, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 717
While a bedroom makes for the PERFECT use of a sound bar, I personally went the 2.0 route in my newest home. A fairly inexpensive Yamaha AVR paired with some really nice bookshelf speakers on stands and I am one happy camper. Biggest reason I love them is because due to the clarity, I feel like the dialogue is crystal clear at low volumes, which is something I haven't always been able to say about various active soundbars I've used over the years. This is perfect for when the kiddos are all asleep in the rooms down the hall. In our bedroom we just have the speakers flanking a dresser and it looks great. They're fabulous looking speakers so they rank high with the spousal unit too. Win-win.

Not to dissuade you from the soundbar route since a bedroom is great for that and it can make for a sleek install, BUT I've just been so happy with my 2.0 setup that I thought I'd throw in my $0.02. I also think you'll get better bass at low volumes from a pair of books without the "boominess" I sometimes associate with soundbars. Especially since we're talking going sub-less in your case. However, not all bars are made alike so I don't want to over-generalize. Some are pretty good these days for just your situation.

But you have some B&W books already? Yeah, go that route hands down. Should be no contest in my opinion.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-28-2018, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Go with 3.0 system for best overall sound in a bedroom. I have installed many bedroom systems including my own. I have had Niles DS7 5.1 In ceiling speakers, Atlantic 7.1 soundbar with sub and now I have gone back with 3.0 NHT M5 bookshelf speakers on stands, 3C Center channel, Denon 3311 and the sound field is just better overall. I prefer a little more Mid range since I eliminated the sub. As well being able to control the volume levels and eliminate the rear sound effects especially at night, just annoying.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-28-2018, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Bedroom sound - should I go sound bar or Receiver 2.0?

+1 for a 2.0 system for choosing dramatically better dialigue clarity over moderately better sound effects from a soundbar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundCrack View Post
Go with 3.0 system for best overall sound in a bedroom. I have installed many bedroom systems including my own. I have had Niles DS7 5.1 In ceiling speakers, Atlantic 7.1 soundbar with sub and now I have gone back with 3.0 NHT M5 bookshelf speakers on stands, 3C Center channel, Denon 3311 and the sound field is just better overall. I prefer a little more Mid range since I eliminated the sub. As well being able to control the volume levels and eliminate the rear sound effects especially at night, just annoying.

I don’t see a reason to go 3.0 over 2.0 unless your bedroom is set up wierd. You’re generally far away and centered on the screen in a bedroom. Thus, you don’t need good off axis support to anchor dialogue to the screen.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-28-2018, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8592 Post(s)
Liked: 5791
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashtest3 View Post

Just use your current speakers with this SMSL amp.

https://www.amazon.com/SMSL-AD18-Blu.../dp/B01M3ULDG9

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page