7.1.4 setup and speakers placement suggestion
I'm planning to move to a bigger apartment and evaluating to build my first home theatre setup. I've been studying the dolby/atmos speakers placement guide and reading quite a lot setups on this forum, and finally did some drawing to understand which setup fits better in my room.
The room (33 ft. by 14 ft.) is a living/dining/kitchen room, so it will not be fully dedicated to the home theatre. Considering the size of the room I would setup 7.1 speakers, but I would not discard the possibility for a 5.1 setup.
A couple of restrictions/preferences from my (and my wife) side:
1) I can't have rear surround speakers always in place (they will stand too close to the dining table); I will position them when a 7.1 movie requires it (one or two times a week). Most of the content I watch are still in 5.1.
2) I would rather prefer a compact/stylish speakers setup (for surround and rear surround speakers, I have 3-way floor stand speakers to use for L and R channels) vs a better sounding/bigger bookshelf speakers.
As you can see at the end of the document attached, I'm evaluating 2 options:
1) free-standing speakers. PRO: setup is very close to what Dolby suggests for a 7.1.4 Atmos speaker placements. CONS: rear surround speakers will be placed only when 7.1 content requires it
2) wall-mounted compact speakers: PRO: setup and forget kind of placement. CONS: different distances among different speakers and lower sound quality.
Here a couple of questions for you:
1) do you see any major mistake in the placement?
2) do you see any major concern with the wall-mounted compact speakers setup (e.g. different distances among speakers)?
3) would you rather advice the free-standing solution considering placing 2 speakers every time a 7.1 content will be watched is not a big deal?
4) would you rather advice for a 5.1 setup to avoid placing rear surround speakers every time?
Thank you so much for you help, any advise would be much appreciated.
Last edited by sundonak; 09-02-2019 at 02:58 AM.