Does anyone just run audio from TV to AVR - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
  • 2 Post By CrusherW9
  • 2 Post By holl_ands
  • 1 Post By Espo77
  • 1 Post By tatumjon
  • 1 Post By Nobr8ks
  • 1 Post By rocky1

post #1 of 13 Old 01-17-2019, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Does anyone just run audio from TV to AVR

I haven't set up my Yamaha Aventage RX-A870 AVR yet. I was trying to educate myself about the plethora of HDMI inputs on the back of these newer AVR's. I still question if using these are such a good idea. I'm not sold on running everything through the receiver. I view it as another source that the signal has to pass through. I'd still prefer a direct link from my DVD or game system to the TV and just using the optical out from the TV to the receiver. Is my logic outdated or should I not consider it? If I ran my DVD player directly to my TV and ran audio out from the TV to my receiver, would the receiver still be able to decode and decipher the surround format?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-17-2019, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 127
HDMI is digital so there isn't any signal degradation. If you run optical from the TV to the AVR, you can't take advantage of the >5.1 channel and lossless formats/codecs. This is a result of optical not having enough bandwidth to support them. If you really want to run everything from the TV to your AVR, AVRs have ARC so you can get audio back to an AVR via HDMI that way and still get the support for those other formats.
speedknot and ChromeJob like this.

"Becoming educated is more than just acquiring knowledge. It involves the ability to see the world in ways never before conceived."
post #3 of 13 Old 01-17-2019, 08:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Using AVR as switching center ensues that audio and video signals experience the Same Delay...AND allows the AVR's LIPSYNC Correction feature to be used as designed (if it exists).

Whereas, Optical+AVR Delay is likely to be Different than Delay thru the HDMI+TV....and may or may NOT be correctable using LIPSYNC Correction feature in AVR.
Espo77 and speedknot like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 01-17-2019, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedknot View Post
I haven't set up my Yamaha Aventage RX-A870 AVR yet. I was trying to educate myself about the plethora of HDMI inputs on the back of these newer AVR's. I still question if using these are such a good idea. I'm not sold on running everything through the receiver. I view it as another source that the signal has to pass through. I'd still prefer a direct link from my DVD or game system to the TV and just using the optical out from the TV to the receiver. Is my logic outdated or should I not consider it? If I ran my DVD player directly to my TV and ran audio out from the TV to my receiver, would the receiver still be able to decode and decipher the surround format?
This is what I like.
My entertainment center is on the left wall, as viewed from the seating area. My receiver, separate amplifier ( to connect later), Blu-Ray Player, Fire TV, and any new added sources go in there. I use the receiver as the docking station for everything. All connected with HDMI.
The TV is wall mounted on the front wall, straight ahead.
Then HDMI ARC out of the receiver to the TV input ARC. The audio from the TV apps can be sent upstream back to the receiver.
When you activate ARC along with CEC, hitting one power button turns everything on, and off.
Any other connection requires the use of multiple remotes to turn everything on. No big deal, but I love this. The wife can’t figure out how to turn everything on, so this keeps her happy.
You may have all of your equipment and TV together on the front wall, and the thought of connecting stuff directly to the TV seems doable.
Your Yamaha does a great job of controlling everything, so I think you should try using the receiver as the docking station first before trying your idea.
Let us know what happens.
speedknot likes this.

Espo77's living room equipment: RECEIVER: Yamaha RX-A3030- SPEAKERS: Boston Acoustics M350, M25 center, surrounds, and front heights-
BLU-RAY: Oppo BDP103D- SUBWOOFER: HSU VTF-15H MK2- dedicated circuits for A/V- TV: Vizio P55C-1
Auralex Acoustics LENRD - Auralex Acoustics Roominator

Last edited by Espo77; 01-17-2019 at 09:07 PM.
post #5 of 13 Old 01-18-2019, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
All my sound sources are connected to the AVR, via HDMI or RCA (that’s for the Turntable). Use the ARC output for video output from AVR to TV. And for using the TV with an antenna, the TV optical out is connected to the AVR. I setup the audio for the TV source in the AVR settings to use the respective optical input.
For reference, my AVR is an older Denon, just assume other AVRs can assign input ports to sources.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #6 of 13 Old 01-18-2019, 06:39 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedknot View Post

Your logic is outdated. You're not understanding digital video. And to further answer your question, your TVs optical output is not capable of passing hi res audio formats to your receiver. So not only would you gain NO advantage, you'd actually introduce a disadvantage. This is of course assuming you have the capabilities to properly utilize these formats but even if you don't the logic is still flawed and introduces no advantage.
post #7 of 13 Old 01-18-2019, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by viorel View Post
All my sound sources are connected to the AVR, via HDMI or RCA (that’s for the Turntable). Use the ARC output for video output from AVR to TV. And for using the TV with an antenna, the TV optical out is connected to the AVR. I setup the audio for the TV source in the AVR settings to use the respective optical input.
For reference, my AVR is an older Denon, just assume other AVRs can assign input ports to sources.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you're using ARC there's absolutely no reason to use the TVs optical out to connect to your AVR. In fact, it's the inferior way to set it up. ARC stand for Audio Return Channel. It's there to return all audio formats from your TV to your receiver when the audio is not passing through the receiver first (OTA, smart TV streaming).
speedknot likes this.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-18-2019, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
To answer the question, in my garage, I have an amplifier from the late 80's that I use audio out from the tv to power a set of speakers, and it works just fine. Of course, this does not allow me to use anything other than 2 channel audio. But I only did this because the amplifier does not have HDMI input - if it did, there is no reason not to go directly through the AVR.
post #9 of 13 Old 01-18-2019, 07:23 AM

Location: North Shore of central Long Island, NY (Stony Brook)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Like many others here, I use my AVR as the control center, with all sources going through it to the TV. The one exception is when I use the TV via its antenna (OTA) connection, then I connect the audio output from the TV to the AVR (usually the TV signal is from a Direct TV box through the AVR but sometimes that fails or the channel I want is not supported by DirectTV).
post #10 of 13 Old 01-19-2019, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Does anyone just run audio from TV to AV ?
I do, via HDMI (ARC).

Quote:
I'm not sold on running everything through the receiver.
Give it a test and see what works best for you. I personally don't use DVD players or set-top boxes, wasn't impressed with my Yamaha rxv683 video processing using my RaspberryPi (Now located behind TV) (Kodi/HDHomeRun Prime/FiOS cable cards) (Movie collection is stored on server thats accessed from Kodi). For me, I like having my tv tuned on some show while playing music from another source (Another RaspberryPi with RCA out to rxv683) in the background.

Quote:
I'd still prefer a direct link from my DVD or game system to the TV and just using the optical out from the TV to the receiver.
As others have said, thats a no go for optical unless it's 2 channel music.

Quote:
If I ran my DVD player directly to my TV and ran audio out from the TV to my receiver, would the receiver still be able to decode and decipher the surround format?
Using HDMI? Yes. (Pretty sure...) Seems to work with my RPi playing movies.
speedknot likes this.
post #11 of 13 Old 01-19-2019, 09:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 3589 Post(s)
Liked: 2022
I tried my soundbar with hdmi and toslink. in my case hdmi worked better. vizio tv and focal soundbar

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #12 of 13 Old 01-19-2019, 09:39 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Optical out of the TV cannot do more than 5.1. The worse news is that, for some TV's, TV optical out doesn't even do 5.1 properly. HDMI ARC is better than optical if your TV and AVR supports it. I think ARC is worse audio-wise than direct HDMI from sources to your AVR (I have no experience with ARC, this is what I read in documentation from Nakamichi's soundbar).

Routing HDMI through the AVR can make it more complex to operate, but everything becomes very easy if you use a Harmony Remote to simplify it. If you don't already have one, the Harmony 650/665 is only $50 and can simplify everything. I like the 650/655 much better than the $300 Elite (unless you need RF control, which the 650/655 don't support).
post #13 of 13 Old 01-20-2019, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 125
everything thru the AVR out to the TV.I Dont bother with ARC.Dont use the internal apps either.(but can if I want to).So easy peasy.
speedknot likes this.

Sony XBR65A1E,(Pioneer 500m relocated), AppleTv 4K,Marantz sr7012, System Audio Loudspeakers( sa1750 mains), ML Grotto.
Eastern Electric Minimax cd, Oppo UDP-203, Toshiba HD, Pro Ject 1expression Carbon TT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page