Jury Rig, without the jury. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-10-2019, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Jury Rig, without the jury.

OK, ...here is what I'm trying to accomplish: We have an older Clavinova keyboard. It only has RCA OUT's and no HDMI or USB. I want to set something up where we can record and playback from the keyboard to a DAW in a large tablet, and hear the playback. I can RCA out to a nearby receiver as there are unused terminals like CD or TAPE IN. The receiver is older and has nothing digital to use, but....I do have an unused USB audio interface (Steinberg UR12). It has an XLR mic input and a Hi-Z input. On its back panel are a USB 2.0 and RCA line outputs.

Do you know of any way to wire this up to give me the above results?
Can I go with an 'RCA to XLR' cord to go from the receiver's OUTs into the interface? If so, then could I use the interface's USB 2.0 to connect to the tablet? That should give me two way transmission, resulting in the keyboard into the DAW, then out to .....a speaker, headphones or back out into the keyboard's speakers.

Any opinions here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-11-2019, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Is there an analog to digital converter anywhere in the chain? I like to rig up stuff like this, but this one sounds like a cluster. Then again I'm not very smart. Good luck, but if I had to bet, even if it were workable it would sound like crap.

Sony ES600VW Projector, 110" motorized screen, Yamaha 2060 AVR, Parasound Halo Hint, KEF LS50s, Focal 926 Arias, PS Audio Power Plant, Velodyne 12" Sub-Woofers (2), PSB In Wall Surrounds (4), Music Hall 7 Turntable, Grado Gold, Apple TV, Sonos (6 Zones), , 55" Samsung Q6F, Klipsch Forte IIIs, 75"Sony 940E , Crown Li1500 power amp...330WPC @ 8 ohms
post #3 of 11 Old 04-11-2019, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

I believe my interface ..IS..a DAC, as that's what I was using it for before. I don't need the results to sound great, at this point. If it proves to, at least, work,....I will upgrade later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-11-2019, 11:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound22Card View Post
I believe my interface ..IS..a DAC, as that's what I was using it for before. I don't need the results to sound great, at this point. If it proves to, at least, work,....I will upgrade later.
You'll need an ADC in there somewhere. A DAC alone won't do it.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-12-2019, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 435
The USB interface is the DAC.

I think you want to use the HiZ input on that interface. Get an RCA to 1/4" unbalanced cable. Is the keyboard output stereo? Get dual RCA's to 1/4" TRS.

The trick is, can your tablet act as a USB host and actually use that USB interface as an audio input/output?
post #6 of 11 Old 04-13-2019, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I guess that's the trick: Can the tablet take in the audio, have it show up in the DAW, then play it back. At this point I don't even want to use the DAW for any adjustments, just recording.
I guess no-one has ever done this before.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-15-2019, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Since the Clavinova is a digital piano, might the output through the RCA plugs be digital, ...or are any RCA plugs always analogue?

Just read where the Clavinova's AUX OUT: says 600-300 ohm/-7 dBm , if that's any help.

Last edited by Sound22Card; 04-15-2019 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Added info
post #8 of 11 Old 04-15-2019, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked: 489
You didn't SAY which Tablet you intended to use as the Recording Device running DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) software.

IF it has USB I/F, then your Steinberg UR12 should work (use Hi-Z Input 2 as mentioned above).

However, it it only has Apple Lightning I/F, then you might want to pick an A/D Converter from fol. lists:
https://www.gearank.com/guides/ipad-audio-interface
https://cloodjo.com/best-ipad-audio-...top-10-reviews

Last edited by holl_ands; 04-15-2019 at 04:57 PM.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-15-2019, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

I'm using a Samsung tablet with Android (I believe). The only port is the small USB which is used to charge it. (USB-C?) I have installed a small phone DAW which seems to work ok.
I'm using a mic through an XLR connection in my interface to just test one section of the path. The phone is recording through the mic and playing back through the headphones plugged into the interface.
Now, all I need to do is switch to the piano output feed (RCA) and find out how to shunt the piano's signal into the interface. I'd guess RCA (left) to get mono, then into the interface through a 1/4 inch mono plug into the Hi-Z.
Sound about right?

Last edited by Sound22Card; 04-15-2019 at 09:11 PM. Reason: dropped letter
post #10 of 11 Old 04-16-2019, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmccorm View Post
The USB interface is the DAC.

I think you want to use the HiZ input on that interface. Get an RCA to 1/4" unbalanced cable. Is the keyboard output stereo? Get dual RCA's to 1/4" TRS.

The trick is, can your tablet act as a USB host and actually use that USB interface as an audio input/output?
Aren't you confusing a DAC with an ADC? the RCA's coming out of his piano are 99% sure to be analog. You've got to convert the analog to digital before you can do what you're trying to do unless I'm missing something.

Sony ES600VW Projector, 110" motorized screen, Yamaha 2060 AVR, Parasound Halo Hint, KEF LS50s, Focal 926 Arias, PS Audio Power Plant, Velodyne 12" Sub-Woofers (2), PSB In Wall Surrounds (4), Music Hall 7 Turntable, Grado Gold, Apple TV, Sonos (6 Zones), , 55" Samsung Q6F, Klipsch Forte IIIs, 75"Sony 940E , Crown Li1500 power amp...330WPC @ 8 ohms
post #11 of 11 Old 04-17-2019, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

The interface I'm using, ...the UR12 by Steinberg, converts analogue to digital and back again. If I go into it through the Hi-Z port, as a guitar would, then the USB 2.0 on the back will take the converted signal through to the DAW. Am I wrong here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page