Anybody have tinnitus or hyperacusis? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-15-2019, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anybody have tinnitus or hyperacusis?

How does it affect you? And your home theater choices? Use any tech in your coping strategies?

Tinnitus usually only bothers me at night, when everything is quiet. I've found playing a podcast on my Google Home speaker as I fade to sleep has all but eliminated the problem.

Hyperacusis is far worse. In the last two years, I've become very sensitive to loud music and/or loud voices in crowded places, such as popular restaurants and bars, especially in proximity to loud laughing or shouting women. I think it may have something to do with reflected sound, as the same level of loudness in an open place is less of a problem. I have to wear ear plugs about 50% of the time when I go out for dinner. (Earpeace with clear tips, ~16db reduction is just right for me). Often I pick my seat according to how far away I can get from a music speaker. Even in places like a gym/etc, I'll move to a quieter area. I completely avoid any restaurant with a live DJ. Since my lifestyle includes a lot of going out and socializing in loud places, its kind of a bummer and sometimes my friends make fun of the ear plugs but I wouldn't trade them for anything. Unfortunately the doctors say there is no known cause, and no known cure.

Curiously, home theater never causes issues for hyperacusis. Even frequencies in the range of female voices haven't been an issue, but I don't go above about -29db. Traditional movie theaters on the other hand can be uncomfortable at max volume.

PS - I've been diagnosed with these issues, but my overall hearing is perfect and even across both ears. My job tests me every 2 years and in January I sought independent hearing tests and again, my private doc said my hearing levels were "teenager" level. So thankfully, I haven't lost any hearing.

AVR: Denon X4400H 7.1.4; 80% gaming, 20% movies, <1% music
Speakers: Klipsch RP-450C; L/R Klipsch RP-250F; Side & Rear: Klipsch R-51M; Height: JBL 2.5" satellites; SVS PC-4000;
Platform: Xbox One X on LG E8 55" OLED
Room from hell: 16x16x18' open loft, thin walls, hard surfaces, lots of street noise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-15-2019, 10:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4426 Post(s)
Liked: 2770
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZL1 View Post
How does it affect you? And your home theater choices? Use any tech in your coping strategies?

Tinnitus usually only bothers me at night, when everything is quiet. I've found playing a podcast on my Google Home speaker as I fade to sleep has all but eliminated the problem.

Hyperacusis is far worse. In the last two years, I've become very sensitive to loud music and/or loud voices in crowded places, such as popular restaurants and bars, especially in proximity to loud laughing or shouting women. I have to wear ear plugs about 50% of the time when I go out for dinner. (Earpeace with clear tips, ~16db reduction is just right for me). Often I pick my seat according to how far away I can get from a music speaker. Even in places like a gym/etc, I'll move to a quieter area. I completely avoid any restaurant with a live DJ. Since my lifestyle includes a lot of going out and socializing in loud places, its kind of a bummer and sometimes my friends make fun of the ear plugs but I wouldn't trade them for anything. Unfortunately the doctors say there is no known cause, and no known cure.

Curiously, home theater never causes issues for hyperacusis. Even frequencies in the range of female voices haven't been an issue, but I don't go above about -29db. Traditional movie theaters on the other hand can be uncomfortable.

PS - I've been diagnosed with these issues, but my overall hearing is perfect and even across both ears. My job tests me every 2 years and in January I sought independent hearing tests and again, my private doc said my hearing levels were "teenager" level. So thankfully, I haven't lost any hearing.
I've had tinnitus in both ears for years but as long as there's any sound I'm ok. At night, I sleep with ear plugs and white noise playing at same time. Luckily I can't notice it *at all* when even quiet sounds are playing. I've had bouts of slight hyperacusis which seemed to get much worse the more I thought and worried about it. One day I decided I really didn't have this (because there's no known cause) and honestly it sort of went away. That was 2 years ago.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-16-2019, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
I've had bouts of slight hyperacusis which seemed to get much worse the more I thought and worried about it. One day I decided I really didn't have this (because there's no known cause) and honestly it sort of went away. That was 2 years ago.
Wow! That's great! That's encouraging and I'm happy for you. My doc did tell me it may resolve itself if I "push through" it. It's only gotten worse but I'm also keeping his advice and your experience in mind.

Speakers: Klipsch RP-450C; L/R Klipsch RP-250F; Side & Rear: Klipsch R-51M; Height: JBL 2.5" satellites; SVS PC-4000;
Room from hell: 16x16x18' open loft, thin walls, hard surfaces, lots of street noise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-16-2019, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4426 Post(s)
Liked: 2770
Quote:
Wow! That's great! That's encouraging and I'm happy for you. My doc did tell me it may resolve itself if I "push through" it. It's only gotten worse but I'm also keeping his advice and your experience in mind.
So I found the more I babied hyperacusis with ear plugs and such the worse it got. Mine was pretty minor. I didn't get bothered by female voices. But sitting 25 feet away from the kitchen hearing dishes clank or silverware clank was bad. And I no longer enjoyed any bass in my theater. My left ear also felt sort of pressurized and I was constantly popping it. I forced myself to stop popping my ear at the same time I told myself repeatedly that hyperacusis wasn't a real thing and only in my head.

I really do hope you can get through it. It's really miserable.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-16-2019, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2753 Post(s)
Liked: 1714
Quote:

My doc told me the opposite - that tinnitus generally does not resolve. Have had for several years now, no better. It does only bother me (well, I notice it) when in the quiet, but with "normal" sounds going on or listening to music, watching TV, etc., I really don't notice it that much, but we're all different in how we respond.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #6 of 7 Old 04-16-2019, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post

My doc told me the opposite - that tinnitus generally does not resolve. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/IMG] respond.
To clarify, my doc said hyperacusis may resolve itself.

post #7 of 7 Old 04-16-2019, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2753 Post(s)
Liked: 1714
Quote:
To clarify, my doc said hyperacusis may resolve itself.

I should have read more carefully....

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page