Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 1. Jönköping Sverige / 2. DFW
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
HDMI Audio Extractor: All HDR formats and Lossless Audio?
My search is as hard as finding rainbowed tri-horned, double tailed unicorns at your local Home Depot.
I am looking for the highest quality HDMI Audio Extractor out there, price not a factor. I just need it to be functional, work out of the box, solid build quality, no muss, no fuss.
Yes, I've seen that HDFury products are somewhat common here, and that on paper would seem to satisfy what I need. But as a matter of fact, I've extensively tried it (HDFury Vertex) for my setup but unfortunately it didn't work for me one bit...and I've tried many excruciating and painful days on end to get it to fully work (it never sent any audio to my audio processor, TV image was great though)!
- TV is capable of displaying all the major current types of 4k, HDR flavours: HDR10, HDR10+, HLG, Dolby Vision
- however, my processor can handle a maximum 1080p only, and I'm using it for audio only, not as an HDMI switch
My requirements for this HDMI Audio Extractor:
- 1x HDMI IN that can input and decode all of the above HDR formats
- 1x HDMI OUT (video ONLY) that can output to my TV all of the above HDR formats
- 1x HDMI OUT (audio ONLY) that will be able to send my processor lossless audio, bitstream such as DTS Master Audio or Dolby True HD
My sources are twofold: a Cambridge Audio CXUHD and an Apple TV 4k. The CXUHD has an essential HDMI slitter/extractor, so playing a physical disc, I'm good. Essentially I'm looking for a similar external device that I can connect my ATV4K to and extract lossless audio from it (don't care and won't be able to properly play any Atmos sound).
So what advice do you guys have for me? Dr. Google searches keeps sending me to 'el cheapo' HDMI switches/audio extractors that are readily available on Amazon which won't seem to do all HDR formats and not of high end quality. Most fellow AVS members here like the HDFury, but since that didn't work for me (even with their support help I couldn't get it to work) I need something else.
Also, before anyone else suggests it, I am not interested in upgrading my processor: for any lossless audio (not including Dolby Atmos) it is a monster that is extremely hard to beat quality wise at essentially any price level...so it stays!
I appreciate your help - cheers!
Last edited by no_cure; 04-22-2019 at 07:08 AM.