How much difference does banana plug quality do? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 42Likes

post #31 of 44 Old 04-26-2019, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4671 Post(s)
Liked: 3470
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post
If I actually participated in a blind test and couldn't distinguish something I thought I was hearing, I would of course question whether or not I was actually hearing it..
I've conducted blind testing on people and some , when they fail to hear a difference, don't change their mind at all. For instance they attribute their failure on the music used [which is why I make them pick it before the test, not me].
DonoMan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 04-26-2019, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
I've conducted blind testing on people and some , when they fail to hear a difference, don't change their mind at all. For instance they attribute their failure on the music used [which is why I make them pick it before the test, not me].

So what. I fail to see the relevance.
post #33 of 44 Old 04-26-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
If I actually participated in a blind test and couldn't distinguish something I thought I was hearing, I would of course question whether or not I was actually hearing it.
[bold text emphasis mine, to show what part I am discussing]

I suspect you are mistaken with your words "of course" and instead there's a possibility you would attribute your failure to hear a difference to something else, like, for example, the one I mentioned in my last post [the music selected for the test suddenly being deemed "inadequate to show the distinction", post test].
DonoMan likes this.

Last edited by m. zillch; 04-26-2019 at 03:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 44 Old 04-26-2019, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
[bold text emphasis mine, to show what part I am discussing]

I suspect you are mistaken with your words "of course" and instead there's a possibility you would attribute your failure to hear a difference to something else, like, for example, the one I mentioned in my last post [the music selected for the test suddenly being deemed "inadequate to show the distinction", post test].

I'm not mistaken, and I've articulated my points and overall point of view clearly. Other AVS member can decide for themselves what is logical and/or credible for the subject of this thread.
post #35 of 44 Old 04-26-2019, 08:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Quote:
They always have an excuse.
post #36 of 44 Old 04-26-2019, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
NAKED wire?! Please, this is a family friendly web site.
Is bare wire better?
post #37 of 44 Old 04-26-2019, 09:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
.... I recommended bananas from Vampire that can be had for $10 per pair, which is hardly a lot of money. Yes, ones can be had for a less, but jeez -- I'm hardly advocating anything unreasonable here. IMO at least.
Well, a pair at $10 at each end of the cable would be $20 per cable times n cables can add up quickly.
ps. what is the vampire number as I didn't see a $10 banana plug.

Last edited by CharlesJ; 04-26-2019 at 09:10 PM.
post #38 of 44 Old 04-26-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesJ View Post
Well, a pair at $10 at each end of the cable would be $20 per cable times n cables can add up quickly.
Maybe they are called vampire because they suck you dry of funds.
post #39 of 44 Old 04-27-2019, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 238
I use a lot of these, handy for testing:

Pomona red banana plug #1825-2 at alliedelec.com

They come in at least ten colors.

And of course lots of these:

Pomona black dual banana plug #1330-0 at alliedelec.com

They fit nicely in my test gear and amps with standard jack spacing. They've got strain reliefs on one side and ID tabs, but I still paint one side red to keep track.

Anything ferrous in the signal path (plugs, jacks, relay parts, gold-plated steel) will introduce a tiny amount of measurable but certainly inaudible distortion. No need to worry, the distortion pales in comparison to that from solid-core inductors in the passive crossover or the drivers themselves...

Probably the most important criteria for speaker connections is that they are tight and don't fall out. The inductive kick from a disconnection under load isn't healthy for amps (especially those without flyback diodes) or crossover caps. I use "locking" banana plugs, ring and fork terminals.

Speakon connectors are the greatest thing since canned bread, but they can be a pain to retrofit to some amps.

Sources/processing: stack of stuff that if it isn't vintage now, it will be soon!
Amps: stacks and stacks of old iron
Main speakers: big DIYSG
Surrounds: Bose graveyard
Subs: a bunch
post #40 of 44 Old 04-27-2019, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1032 Post(s)
Liked: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by fill35U View Post
I use a lot of these, handy for testing:

Pomona red banana plug #1825-2 at alliedelec.com

They come in at least ten colors.

And of course lots of these:

Pomona black dual banana plug #1330-0 at alliedelec.com

They fit nicely in my test gear and amps with standard jack spacing. They've got strain reliefs on one side and ID tabs, but I still paint one side red to keep track.

Anything ferrous in the signal path (plugs, jacks, relay parts, gold-plated steel) will introduce a tiny amount of measurable but certainly inaudible distortion. No need to worry, the distortion pales in comparison to that from solid-core inductors in the passive crossover or the drivers themselves...

Probably the most important criteria for speaker connections is that they are tight and don't fall out. The inductive kick from a disconnection under load isn't healthy for amps (especially those without flyback diodes) or crossover caps. I use "locking" banana plugs, ring and fork terminals.

Speakon connectors are the greatest thing since canned bread, but they can be a pain to retrofit to some amps.
Yup, Pomona is exactly one the the brands I was talking about in my last post here. They have been making banana plugs forever. A top choice in the rest of the electronics industry.
fill35U likes this.
post #41 of 44 Old 04-28-2019, 05:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3278 Post(s)
Liked: 1789
I started with Monoprice banana plugs. After a short time, I noticed they got loose from either the screwing together or the tip started to unscrew.

My choice was to try locking banana plugs, and I got them from Blue Jeans Cable. Theirs have twin set screws, but also a wide area between those where I can solder the connection. I had to get a more-powerful soldering station (60 watt) to be able to heat them up enough to flow solder, but it works. When you buy finished cables from BJC, they weld the wire in that same space.

I make NO claim that they sound better than the cheap Monoprice connectors, only that the connection is more secure. By contrast, the bare wire connection I have to use on my Atmos-enabled speakers (to reduce how far they stick out the back) do get loose and I have to snug them up occasionally. The speakers are KEF R50, and the binding posts are very good quality. They still get loose.
m. zillch likes this.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red, Bluesound Vault2, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Desktop: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b. Guest room: Hafler 200 L-R, KEF reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, M&K V-90 sub.
post #42 of 44 Old 04-28-2019, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat-tias View Post
Hello!

I bought 5m of QED Reference xt40 and QED Airlock bananaplugs 4mm but the website I bought em from didn’t tell me that I needed a special tool to fit my cables in the QED airlock. I am now stuck with my old banana plugs which I bought from a local electronics store which I assume isn’t of very good quality. SO I am wondering, am I bottlenecking the crap out of my speaker cables by using a, I assume, bad set of banana plugs.

Thank you for reading.

0. No.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #43 of 44 Old 04-28-2019, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 603 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3769 Post(s)
Liked: 3552
no difference
an excellent site to learn why!
http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm
m. zillch and 18Hurts like this.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
post #44 of 44 Old 04-28-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
no difference
an excellent site to learn why!
http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm
Russell's site is breath of fresh air in an industry riddled with lies, distortions, and snake oil.

Assuming it is gripping onto the wire correctly that's true that there's no sound difference but I would agree with KenM10759, above: they do differ in build quality and wire connection methodology. This would hardly matter in most typical consumer use where you connect them and then they remain untouched and not jostled for perhaps even years at a time, but for a hobbyist who moves things around a lot and experiments with different setups it can be annoying when they lossen and need to be re-tightened all the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page