subwoofer makes all speakers hum - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 2 Post By ChromeJob
  • 1 Post By Glimmie
  • 3 Post By DonH50

post #1 of 7 Old 04-21-2019, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 3
subwoofer makes all speakers hum

I just got a denon x4400h because my sony za1000es is not meant for the 4 ohm speakers that I have.
Now, whenever I plug my subwoofer into the denon, (to either subwoofer 1 or 2), it makes all the speakers hum. This does not happen when
I duplicate the setup with the Sony.
The receiver I got was a refurbished one, and when I first got it, the menu wouldn't come
up, and the screen looked like the picture below. Then it just randomly started working, after power cycling it 4 or 5 times.
Is it possible this is from a faulty receiver?
And more importantly, could that humming cause damage to my speakers?
it's not that loud, but wondering if whatever is causing the interference could cause internal issues in the speaker components.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EDCCDB4A-0E75-47B9-806B-216004845B82.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	2556676  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-21-2019, 11:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4639 Post(s)
Liked: 2943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Brueshaber View Post
I just got a denon x4400h because my sony za1000es is not meant for the 4 ohm speakers that I have.
Now, whenever I plug my subwoofer into the denon, (to either subwoofer 1 or 2), it makes all the speakers hum. This does not happen when
I duplicate the setup with the Sony.
The receiver I got was a refurbished one, and when I first got it, the menu wouldn't come
up, and the screen looked like the picture below. Then it just randomly started working, after power cycling it 4 or 5 times.
And more importantly, could that humming cause damage to my speakers?
it's not that loud, but wondering if whatever is causing the interference could cause internal issues in the speaker components.
No humming won't damage the speakers. No it's probably not caused by defective receiver.

Most likely you have a ground loop since both the sub and the receiver plug into the wall in separate outlets. Try lifting the ground leg on the subwoofer power if it has a 3 prong plug. Most subs should utilize a 2 power plug to prevent this sort of ground loop. Usually the receiver is the only component with 3 prong cord. At least this is a good place to start. Another option may also be to run a small wire from the ground on the receive chassis to the ground on the plate amp on the powered sub.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-22-2019, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1989 Post(s)
Liked: 1054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Brueshaber View Post
…The receiver I got was a refurbished one, and when I first got it, the menu wouldn't come up, and the screen looked like the picture below. Then it just randomly started working, after power cycling it 4 or 5 times.

Does that sound TO YOU like the refurb was working to factory specs?

Trick question. It doesn’t, to me.
fill35U and Graustark like this.

"Sell crazy some place else -- we're all stocked up here."
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 04-22-2019 at 09:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-22-2019, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked: 949
Don't leave the sub cord ungrounded!

Yes, it's Ok to lift the ground on the power cord to test and see if this is causing a ground loop but don't use that as the fix. It's setting up a dangerous future shock hazard.

Blue Jeans Cable now sells a $50 transformer isolator for sub woofers. This is a great solution for most home systems. The other sure way is to run balanced lines but that is expensive and the facilities are not found on most consumer gear.

Some people just use sub woofer cables with heavy grounds, like video grade coax cable. This partially works because there is less resistance on the ground wire and therefor less ground loop current can flow. But IMO, this is only a partial fix. The best bet is to use an audio isolation transformer.
fill35U likes this.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-22-2019, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 4671 Post(s)
Liked: 3470
As I understand it, although I'm not dead sure, it would be safe to use a cheater plug to bypass the third prong (ground) if there is a GFCI upstream to protect you.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-22-2019, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 3
thank you everyone for the great advice. I will do these tests tomorrow and see you about getting that isolator if need be. I do have a GFCI so I hope to be good with that if i get rid of the 3rd prong.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-23-2019, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 3141 Post(s)
Liked: 3099
I've seen too many GFCI's fail over the years to trust my life to one, even though technically I do anyway whenever I am in the woodshop... I would not use a cheater plug as a long-term solution.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page