• 1 Post By gajCA
  • 1 Post By gajCA

post #1 of 11 Old 04-26-2019, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Speaker Setup Help

Not sure if this is the correct area to post, please let me know if it is not and I will move it to the right area.

I have a small room I am trying to convert into a small home theater room. I was wondering what is the best speaker setup I can have? I would like to have Atmos but not sure if 5.1.4 or even 7.1.4 is even possible in this room. Anyone have any suggestions on what the max number of speakers I can have?

I have attached the room layout. I only have 2 options for TV placement. It can either be on the wall to the left of the door or on the far wall with no windows. Those are 2 windows on the right. I am trying to avoid placing a speaker in the door way as it would get in the way of entering or leaving the room. I would not mind if the speaker was 1 or 2 feet into the room so it is not right at the entrance.

I am thinking I may only have enough room for 5.1.2? Is 5.1.4 possible or 7.1.4? Something like, TV on the left wall. 2 towers next to it and a center below. 2 surrounds in the top right and bottom right corners (not in the closet). And then 2 overhead speakers above my sitting location. My sitting location can be flexible, put it more into the room. Not sure I would have enough space to put the overhead speakers in front and behind the sofa even if I pushed it more into the room.

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Room Dimensions.png
Views:	36
Size:	3.3 KB
ID:	2558652  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-26-2019, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsp123 View Post
Not sure if this is the correct area to post, please let me know if it is not and I will move it to the right area.

I have a small room I am trying to convert into a small home theater room. I was wondering what is the best speaker setup I can have? I would like to have Atmos but not sure if 5.1.4 or even 7.1.4 is even possible in this room. Anyone have any suggestions on what the max number of speakers I can have?

I have attached the room layout. I only have 2 options for TV placement. It can either be on the wall to the left of the door or on the far wall with no windows. Those are 2 windows on the right. I am trying to avoid placing a speaker in the door way as it would get in the way of entering or leaving the room. I would not mind if the speaker was 1 or 2 feet into the room so it is not right at the entrance.

I am thinking I may only have enough room for 5.1.2? Is 5.1.4 possible or 7.1.4? Something like, TV on the left wall. 2 towers next to it and a center below. 2 surrounds in the top right and bottom right corners (not in the closet). And then 2 overhead speakers above my sitting location. My sitting location can be flexible, put it more into the room. Not sure I would have enough space to put the overhead speakers in front and behind the sofa even if I pushed it more into the room.

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
Also, the ceilings are only 8 feet tall. Not sure if that makes a difference.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-26-2019, 10:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 226
What is the decor going to look like in there? Furniture?
9x10’ish Room...certainly a 5.1.2 system would work, but even Dolby recommends going with four overhead speakers.
Dolby Labs has a great web site...keep navigating through the site looking for something like “Speaker system setup”...
They have just about every speaker configuration imaginable drawn out as very nice diagrams.

Espo77's living room equipment: RECEIVER: Yamaha RX-A3030- SPEAKERS: Boston Acoustics M350, M25 center, surrounds, and front heights-
BLU-RAY: Oppo BDP103D- SUBWOOFER: HSU VTF-15H MK2- dedicated circuits for A/V- TV: Vizio P55C-1
Auralex Acoustics LENRD - Auralex Acoustics Roominator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-27-2019, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 View Post
What is the decor going to look like in there? Furniture?
9x10’ish Room...certainly a 5.1.2 system would work, but even Dolby recommends going with four overhead speakers.
Dolby Labs has a great web site...keep navigating through the site looking for something like “Speaker system setup”...
They have just about every speaker configuration imaginable drawn out as very nice diagrams.
I will be optimizing the decor for the best TV/Sound experience. I will probably just have a 2 seat sofa. I took a look at the dolby's website but it only includes angles and not distance.

If I do 4 overhead speakers for my small room, i think I would need to put the overhead speakers over the 2 floor standing and the 2 surround speakers. One in every corner. Is that a problem? An issue?
post #5 of 11 Old 04-27-2019, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9080 Post(s)
Liked: 6221
Quote:
I will be optimizing the decor for the best TV/Sound experience. I will probably just have a 2 seat sofa. I took a look at the dolby's website but it only includes angles and not distance.

If I do 4 overhead speakers for my small room, i think I would need to put the overhead speakers over the 2 floor standing and the 2 surround speakers. One in every corner. Is that a problem? An issue?
I'd put it on the wall with no windows and get good shades for the windows; maybe fully opaque cellular shades.

Strive for this arrangement if going 5.1.4.

BluesDaddy56 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #6 of 11 Old 04-27-2019, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
I'd put it on the wall with no windows and get good shades for the windows; maybe fully opaque cellular shades.

Strive for this arrangement if going 5.1.4.

Thanks for the information so far. With my room being so small. There is no issue with the overhead speakers being nearly on top of my floor speakers?
post #7 of 11 Old 04-27-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the information so far. With my room being so small. There is no issue with the overhead speakers being nearly on top of my floor speakers?
Not really.

Small room means you should be fine with a smaller sub, sealed might be the best choice.

Stick to 5.1.4 as the room is so small, the move to 7.1.4 is minimal in terms of sound and the costs rise dramatically between a 9 channel and 11 channel receiver.
BluesDaddy56 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #8 of 11 Old 04-27-2019, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 226
...please also research “Dolby Atmos Enabled” Speakers.
Some Tower speakers have them built in as part of the speaker.

Espo77's living room equipment: RECEIVER: Yamaha RX-A3030- SPEAKERS: Boston Acoustics M350, M25 center, surrounds, and front heights-
BLU-RAY: Oppo BDP103D- SUBWOOFER: HSU VTF-15H MK2- dedicated circuits for A/V- TV: Vizio P55C-1
Auralex Acoustics LENRD - Auralex Acoustics Roominator
post #9 of 11 Old 04-27-2019, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Not really.

Small room means you should be fine with a smaller sub, sealed might be the best choice.

Stick to 5.1.4 as the room is so small, the move to 7.1.4 is minimal in terms of sound and the costs rise dramatically between a 9 channel and 11 channel receiver.
Awesome thanks! I already have 5.1 pioneer speakers and sub. The audio sound from them are good enough for me and/or I cant tell the difference between better systems. Any suggestions on some in ceiling speakers I can use for the overhead? Not sure if it matters but I found a bunch on amazon for around $100 a pair. Not sure if that would be good enough for atmos.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-27-2019, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 View Post
...please also research “Dolby Atmos Enabled” Speakers.
Some Tower speakers have them built in as part of the speaker.
I have heard these are not nearly as good to having actual in ceiling speakers. I live alone and have no spouse so I don't have to worry about that! =)

I like to watch a lot of movies so I just want the best setup I can have.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-28-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Awesome thanks! I already have 5.1 pioneer speakers and sub. The audio sound from them are good enough for me and/or I cant tell the difference between better systems. Any suggestions on some in ceiling speakers I can use for the overhead? Not sure if it matters but I found a bunch on amazon for around $100 a pair. Not sure if that would be good enough for atmos.
Anecdotally on AVS one guy who upgraded from "decent" in ceilings for Atmos to "very good" in ceilings for Atmos thought that for most a "decent" pair of in ceilings was all that might be needed.

Something from a name brand should suffice with these being a good choice.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107RC6...eiling+speaker

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page