• 1 Post By Espo77
  • 1 Post By godfatherip

post #1 of 10 Old 04-27-2019, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
In over my head

I jumped in the deep end went from nothing to a marantz sr 7012 I think ?last years model..doesn’t matter for what I need help with pleeease..I have two definitive tech bp9080 towers 9060 center and two dr 7’s bookshelf’s for side surround...1rst do I go side or rear? 2nd.lfe+main? I’m running lfe jacks from both fronts to receiver so setup is what? Front small or large ? I have heard arguments to do each? Lfe+main? Do I run direct or pure direct or auto? Should I even run the lfe jacks for the subs or just run each tower to front left and right..is it preference? I’ll go with the majority if so what is the right or best way I guess??...amd cross over levels are a separate issue maybe o can seek help with later for now help me set up my home theater properly please someone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-27-2019, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

Pleeeeeze help me!!!!
post #3 of 10 Old 04-27-2019, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 13958
LFE channel in 5.1 audio (and others) is meant to be a discreet channel for low frequency effects in movies. Do you want to mix that with you L/R front speakers (if I interpret your post correctly)? Although, without a separate subwoofer, it's your only choice to hear the LFE channel.

For 5 speakers, side surround is usually used instead of rear surround.

I would set your L/R fronts to 'large' - even if you had a subwoofer. Setting speakers to 'small' will send low frequency audio to the LFE (subwoofer) output.

So, without a subwoofer and connecting the LFE channel(s) to your L/R speakers, LFE channel and all low freq audio (below crossover setting) from any speakers set to 'small' will be sent to front L/R speakers. The L/R speakers will be doubling as a subwoofer.
ChromeJob likes this.

Make me grow brainiac fingers, but with more hair!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-27-2019, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cha77enger View Post
I jumped in the deep end went from nothing to a marantz sr 7012 I think ?last years model..doesn’t matter for what I need help with pleeease..I have two definitive tech bp9080 towers 9060 center and two dr 7’s bookshelf’s for side surround...1rst do I go side or rear? 2nd.lfe+main? I’m running lfe jacks from both fronts to receiver so setup is what? Front small or large ? I have heard arguments to do each? Lfe+main? Do I run direct or pure direct or auto? Should I even run the lfe jacks for the subs or just run each tower to front left and right..is it preference? I’ll go with the majority if so what is the right or best way I guess??...amd cross over levels are a separate issue maybe o can seek help with later for now help me set up my home theater properly please someone?

No need for panic. You will figure all this stuff out in time and with experimentation. Based on what you have, I would recommend running your 9080's as Large (since they are rated down to 17hz) and just running speaker cable to them as Left and Right. By setting to Large, they will get a full range signal, including LFE, and since you don't mention a sub you don't need to worry about the LFE or LFE + Mains setting. If you had a sub, the typical setup would be to set the towers to small and cross them over at 60 or 80Hz and then set LFE only so the subs could handle the LFE. In your case, you probably want to set everything else to crossover at 80Hz and let the towers handle LFE and mid/low bass. As for the rears, in a typical 5.1 setup, you want them to be anywhere from 90 degrees (directly at your sides pointing toward you) out to 110 degrees (slightly behind and angled toward you). I prefer 110 degrees over 90 degrees, just because I get more sense of things happening behind and to the side of me vs. just to the side of me, but you can experiment and see which way you like it best. I would recommend auto as that should play the proper mode based on the signal you are sending to it. So, if you are sending an atmos signal to it, it would play atmos, and if dts-x, it would play dts-x, etc.
ChromeJob and altpensacola like this.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-27-2019, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post
LFE channel in 5.1 audio (and others) is meant to be a discreet channel for low frequency effects in movies. Do you want to mix that with you L/R front speakers (if I interpret your post correctly)? Although, without a separate subwoofer, it's your only choice to hear the LFE channel.

For 5 speakers, side surround is usually used instead of rear surround.

I would set your L/R fronts to 'large' - even if you had a subwoofer. Setting speakers to 'small' will send low frequency audio to the LFE (subwoofer) output.

So, without a subwoofer and connecting the LFE channel(s) to your L/R speakers, LFE channel and all low freq audio (below crossover setting) from any speakers set to 'small' will be sent to front L/R speakers. The L/R speakers will be doubling as a subwoofer.
.............?????!?!!!!!!!!sir I want to hook this up for the best experience watching movies? Do I go lfe jacks or not if so what do I tell my receiver as far as subwoofers??
post #6 of 10 Old 04-27-2019, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
.............?????!?!!!!!!!!sir I want to hook this up for the best experience watching movies? Do I go lfe jacks or not if so what do I tell my receiver as far as subwoofers??
Separate Subwoofers generally have built in high power amplifiers because bass needs a lot of power. A subwoofer is also placement critical. Generally where you place your main left and right speakers will not be the best location for awesome bass response.
I used to own similar Def Tech towers, and after trying all of the different methods for connecting, I ended up doing the simple speaker wire only connection. Using a separate Subwoofer, placed properly for impact, I set the receiver to “small” and used an 80 Hz crossover setting. (deep bass from 80Hz down will be the Subwoofer’s job, and everything above 80Hz goes to the other speakers.)
Do you grasp the “room correction” features on the receiver? Any changes that you make to the system requires a fresh room correction to be executed.

If you’re not using a separate Subwoofer, and wish to use the built in “ Powered Woofers” then you can try the LFE input (RCA). Use “Large” setting for the main left and right speakers, small for the others. Your mains will get a full signal.

I hope you are going to be using a separate Subwoofer, as the large speakers are “Powered Woofers” with a volume control, and no other adjustments.

Espo77's living room equipment: RECEIVER: Yamaha RX-A3030- SPEAKERS: Boston Acoustics M350, M25 center, surrounds, and front heights-
BLU-RAY: Oppo BDP103D- SUBWOOFER: HSU VTF-15H MK2- dedicated circuits for A/V- TV: Vizio P55C-1
Auralex Acoustics LENRD - Auralex Acoustics Roominator
post #7 of 10 Old 04-28-2019, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2091 Post(s)
Liked: 1096
In over my head

Good advice above, but from your description, you haven’t connected the subwoofers correctly. Read the manual for your receiver for recommended setup. You’re asking so many basic questions (and cross-posting) that I suspect you need to take a chill pill, sit down with it, and follow the step by step setup instructions. If you need someone to just tell you what to do, you’ll do well hiring Geek Squad or similar to assist you in person.

Further questions about your AVR can be asked here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...-s-thread.html
Espo77 likes this.

"Exceedingly odd," said the butler.
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 04-28-2019 at 07:38 AM.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-28-2019, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 7259 Post(s)
Liked: 6296
Quote:
Do I go lfe jacks or not if so what do I tell my receiver as far as subwoofers??
All 3 of your front speakers have powered subwoofers built in, which Def Tech recommends crossing over at 80Hz (would be a good crossover point for ALL your speakers, including surrounds and heights). In your receiver, set up all speakers as Small, crossed over at 80Hz. Split the Subwoofer output on your receiver 3 ways to feed the subs. Feeding the same signal to all 3 subwoofers will result in smoother bass response than feeding the independent left/right/centre signals.
drh3b and Espo77 like this.

Sanjay
post #9 of 10 Old 04-28-2019, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
All 3 of your front speakers have powered subwoofers built in, which Def Tech recommends crossing over at 80Hz (would be a good crossover point for ALL your speakers, including surrounds and heights). In your receiver, set up all speakers as Small, crossed over at 80Hz. Split the Subwoofer output on your receiver 3 ways to feed the subs. Feeding the same signal to all 3 subwoofers will result in smoother bass response than feeding the independent left/right/centre signals.
Yes, and for the OP this would mean RCA type cables for the subs, plus regular speaker wire also.
sdurani likes this.

Espo77's living room equipment: RECEIVER: Yamaha RX-A3030- SPEAKERS: Boston Acoustics M350, M25 center, surrounds, and front heights-
BLU-RAY: Oppo BDP103D- SUBWOOFER: HSU VTF-15H MK2- dedicated circuits for A/V- TV: Vizio P55C-1
Auralex Acoustics LENRD - Auralex Acoustics Roominator
post #10 of 10 Old 04-29-2019, 07:11 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
If you run the subwoofer cables to the LFE inputs of the BP9080s then you want to set the 9080s as small with an 80Hz crossover and turn off LFE+Main since the towers' woofers are getting a separate signal for LFE through the LFE input, no need to send it twice (in fact it would be worse to send it twice). If you just run speaker wire (no sub cable to LFE inputs) then set the towers as Large. Since you'd have no sub in this case I don't think there will be an LFE+Main option (set it to off if it is still there). DefTech recommends to start with the powered woofer dial set at about 50% and then tune the bass up or down as desired for either configuration.

Neither configuration is necessarily better, but DefTech's standard recommendation is just speaker wire with the speakers set to large, but you can judge which you think sounds better. If you hook up the LFE cable then it gives the AVR more control over frequency blending while if you hook it up with speaker wire the towers' internal crossovers control the blending.

I'd set all of the other speakers as small with 80Hz crossover.

Although the 9080s have fairly capable powered woofers you might still consider a dedicated subwoofer as it will give the best low end.

There is a dedicated DefTech owner's thread in the speaker section where you can find more discussion about DT speakers and whether or not to use the LFE inputs on the BP9080s.
ChromeJob likes this.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| LG OLED65C8P | Pioneer VSX-LX503 | Def Tech BP9040 + CS9040 + A90 + SR9080 | Klipsch R-112SW |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page