Audio Output comes from both TV & HT when connected via Optical Audio - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-16-2019, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Audio Output comes from both TV & HT when connected via Optical Audio

Hello all,

I have an Onkyo HT and I was using it with an old TV with Coaxial Cables.

However, I got a new TV which has a optical out port. So i connected it through that.But the problem is that the audio comes from both TV and HT. Both are independent of each other. So muting one does not mute the other. Changing the volume on TV does not change the volume on HT.

Since its too cumbersome to manage audio through two remotes and independent of each other. What am I doing wrong here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-16-2019, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8581 Post(s)
Liked: 5783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjoylife1788 View Post
Hello all,

However, I got a new TV which has a optical out port. So i connected it through that.But the problem is that the audio comes from both TV and HT. Both are independent of each other. So muting one does not mute the other. Changing the volume on TV does not change the volume on HT.

Since its too cumbersome to manage audio through two remotes and independent of each other. What am I doing wrong here?
Usually a modern TV has an audio menu where you can switch off the TV speakers and another area where you can synch your receiver to the TV remote so that the TV remote controls the receiver's volume control.

Geoff A. J., California
post #3 of 7 Old 05-16-2019, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Usually a modern TV has an audio menu where you can switch off the TV speakers and another area where you can synch your receiver to the TV remote so that the TV remote controls the receiver's volume control.
So the only options I get under SPDIF are PCM, Auto and Off. PCM and Auto works the same. Off turns off the output to HT.

And I dont have options for syncing remotes.

Btw is it normal for TVs to outtput sound through both TV and HT. Earliers while using them through RCA cables, I didnt face such an issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-17-2019, 05:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 124
somewhat confused.I'm assuming you have an older receiver no hdmi? If they were independently from each other why not just keep the tv volume at its lowest point(mine is 0) when your using the receiver.When the receiver is off you can just use the tv volume.Unless the receiver has to be on when in use.

Sony XBR65A1E,(Pioneer 500m relocated), AppleTv 4K,Marantz sr7012, System Audio Loudspeakers( sa1750 mains), ML Grotto.
Eastern Electric Minimax cd, Oppo UDP-203, Toshiba HD, Pro Ject 1expression Carbon TT.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-17-2019, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8581 Post(s)
Liked: 5783
Quote:
So the only options I get under SPDIF are PCM, Auto and Off. PCM and Auto works the same. Off turns off the output to HT.

And I dont have options for syncing remotes.

Btw is it normal for TVs to outtput sound through both TV and HT. Earliers while using them through RCA cables, I didnt face such an issue.
What TV do you have.

I guess in retrospect I don't understand the issue.

I just turn the volume down all the way on my TV when using my Home Theater speaker system and the very few times I use the TV speakers I just turn the volume back up.

Geoff A. J., California
post #6 of 7 Old 05-17-2019, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked: 2572
Quote:
Hello all,

If your AVR has HDMI, just connect via HDMI.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-23-2019, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Hello all,

Are both components ARC or eARC ready? If they are, and it works correctly, your TV remote will operate the receiver’s volume.

You could also use a universal remote to operate your stuff.

You should turn the volume to zero on the TV because having audio play from both components will create a nightmare.

Espo77's living room equipment: RECEIVER: Yamaha RX-A3030- SPEAKERS: Boston Acoustics M350, M25 center, surrounds, and front heights-
BLU-RAY: Oppo BDP103D- SUBWOOFER: HSU VTF-15H MK2- dedicated circuits for A/V- TV: Vizio P55C-1
Auralex Acoustics LENRD - Auralex Acoustics Roominator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
optical audio , optical digital output , optical input

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page