Think I need to make some changes!!! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-21-2019, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Think I need to make some changes!!!

I think I have some rework to do with my speaker setup.

The good news is I picked up a 2nd Sub to match the existing one I have.

The bad news is over the last couple months I have moved my Seating position a lot closer to the screen. I originally had planned to sit 14’ away from my 160” scope screen. Since then I now sit 9’6” to 10’ away. The issues are all my speakers are set up way back from where I sit. I’ve attached a pic.

If might have enough slack in the side speakers to move them up. Or can I join speaker wires if I don’t have enough length??? Was thinking of just moving the rear speakers up to 9-10’ and then just use the front side speakers as the rear at 14’. This seems easy and best fix.

For atmos speakers are a issue as I have a duct run right above the new seating position and it’s a sealed drywalled chase. So was thinking that. Again the front atoms speakers can stay and use as the rear atoms speakers. I then think I can move the rear to about the 7’ mark. But then I would have to join the speaker wires. Or start cutting lots of holes to rewire

Any thoughts?

Side speakers are adjustable and I have them pointed towards the seats right now. Atmos are not adjustable. I think for best results I would have to move. Or do should I save the hassle and leave everything as is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-14-2019, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncabw View Post
I think I have some rework to do with my speaker setup.

The good news is I picked up a 2nd Sub to match the existing one I have.

The bad news is over the last couple months I have moved my Seating position a lot closer to the screen. I originally had planned to sit 14’ away from my 160” scope screen. Since then I now sit 9’6” to 10’ away. The issues are all my speakers are set up way back from where I sit. I’ve attached a pic.

If might have enough slack in the side speakers to move them up. Or can I join speaker wires if I don’t have enough length??? Was thinking of just moving the rear speakers up to 9-10’ and then just use the front side speakers as the rear at 14’. This seems easy and best fix.

For atmos speakers are a issue as I have a duct run right above the new seating position and it’s a sealed drywalled chase. So was thinking that. Again the front atoms speakers can stay and use as the rear atoms speakers. I then think I can move the rear to about the 7’ mark. But then I would have to join the speaker wires. Or start cutting lots of holes to rewire

Any thoughts?

Side speakers are adjustable and I have them pointed towards the seats right now. Atmos are not adjustable. I think for best results I would have to move. Or do should I save the hassle and leave everything as is?

relocate the back two speakers and use this wireless connection instead of running wires

two of these would take care of wire issues
https://www.logitech.com/en-us/produ...-audio-adapter

you would also have to change your speaker assignments at your AVR

Hope this helps

Jim Meader
post #3 of 7 Old 06-15-2019, 01:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked: 487
I would move the left side speaker forward so that it is directly above the left subwoofer in the sketch, then move the right side speaker opposite it on the right wall.

Before I moved the rear speakers, I would experiment with the Rear Surround modes on a 7.2 AVR. Due their larger operating space back there, you might get some well-diffused "spaciousness" rear surround out of them -- I would go with that for awhile before moving them.

In most cases it's just easier to run low-voltage speaker wire rather than AC power lines -- no electrician involved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-16-2019, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2593 Post(s)
Liked: 2344
More info required. Are the circles the atmos speakers? Are the rectangles along the side walls the 4-7 surrounds?

Seems to me you need to move the rears forward of the new seating. Same with the Atmos. In this scenario, both wires will be longer than necessary, so only rewiring, no splicing.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 06-16-2019 at 03:33 PM.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-17-2019, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

So I have made some changes and here is how it lines up now

10’ MLP

Side speakers are right at 10’

Rear speakers are all the way back in side wall around 20’ mark

Front atmos 4’ in front which is a 45 degree angle

Rear atmos about 2’ behind me. Not sure of angle.

Main concerns. I can move back atmos speakers back if it would be best.

The rear speakers which are on the side wall seem to be in the correct angle of that Dolby setup picture everyone shares. My issue is on that pic it shows the rear speakers in the rear. Not side wall. Isn’t 20’ to far back? So should I pull the rear speakers closer to MLP? I still have old side wall speaker cutout at about 4-6’ behind me. Saves me from cutting any more drywall.

Also side wall speakers I can angle the tweeter in my direction. Atmos speakers fire straight down only.

If this is confusing I can draw it out tomorrow.

Thank you

post #6 of 7 Old 06-18-2019, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncabw View Post
So I have made some changes and here is how it lines up now

10’ MLP

Side speakers are right at 10’

Rear speakers are all the way back in side wall around 20’ mark

Front atmos 4’ in front which is a 45 degree angle

Rear atmos about 2’ behind me. Not sure of angle.

Main concerns. I can move back atmos speakers back if it would be best.

The rear speakers which are on the side wall seem to be in the correct angle of that Dolby setup picture everyone shares. My issue is on that pic it shows the rear speakers in the rear. Not side wall. Isn’t 20’ to far back? So should I pull the rear speakers closer to MLP? I still have old side wall speaker cutout at about 4-6’ behind me. Saves me from cutting any more drywall.

Also side wall speakers I can angle the tweeter in my direction. Atmos speakers fire straight down only.

If this is confusing I can draw it out tomorrow.

Thank you

I'm not an expert by any means, but here are my thoughts based on my experiences. Doing some quick math, I would estimate your rear atmos are at roughly 117 degrees. That's a little shy of the minimum Dolby recommended angle of 125. Ideally, you want the front and rear atmos equidistant from the MLP. My bigger concern, though, would be your rear surrounds. 10' behind MLP seems a little far away, and I don't usually see them recommended to be on the side walls. Per Dolby, they are behind, on an angle of 135 - 150 degrees in relation to your center speaker (45 to 60 degrees from MLP). You might be better off using the side cutouts you mentioned that are 4' - 6' behind MLP. I think I'd rather have them closer if on the side walls.

Pre/Pro: Anthem AVR 60 | 5.2.4 Config: MartinLogan ElectroMotion ESL X FL/FR, ESL C Center, Motion LX16 Surrounds, Motion 4i Atmos | Subs: Velodyne DD-15, Martin Logan Dynamo 1100x | Amplification: Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1 FL/C/FR, Emotiva A-700 Surrounds and Atmos

Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
post #7 of 7 Old 06-25-2019, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyRider View Post
I'm not an expert by any means, but here are my thoughts based on my experiences. Doing some quick math, I would estimate your rear atmos are at roughly 117 degrees. That's a little shy of the minimum Dolby recommended angle of 125. Ideally, you want the front and rear atmos equidistant from the MLP. My bigger concern, though, would be your rear surrounds. 10' behind MLP seems a little far away, and I don't usually see them recommended to be on the side walls. Per Dolby, they are behind, on an angle of 135 - 150 degrees in relation to your center speaker (45 to 60 degrees from MLP). You might be better off using the side cutouts you mentioned that are 4' - 6' behind MLP. I think I'd rather have them closer if on the side walls.
Thanks for your response. I will move the 2 rear Atmos speakers back so they will be 45 degrees behind me to match the front. I will also pull up the back surround speakers into the old side cutout and see how this sounds.

Also not sure how big of a deal this is but reading someone else's build thread they showed a calculator showing where sound nulls are. Looks like I'm not sitting in the best spot. And I should move my subs up to 5' 1/4".

On the length graph I'm sitting around 9'6"-10'(the purple mark). if this is a major issue should I move up to the 9' Mark?

Seems like every time you try to fix one problem you run into another problem. lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	audio nulls.png
Views:	7
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	2584280  

Last edited by ncabw; 06-25-2019 at 06:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page