Room Mode, Speaker Reflection, T60 Beta version Spreadsheet - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 2 Post By knappster007
  • 1 Post By madams5000
  • 1 Post By sdurani
  • 1 Post By knappster007
  • 1 Post By knappster007
  • 1 Post By knappster007

post #1 of 8 Old 05-22-2019, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Room Mode, Speaker Reflection, T60 Beta version Spreadsheet

Linked to this thread is a beta version of a room simulation spreadsheet. The spreadsheet:

+ Allows entry of room dimensions, listener location and independent placement of right and left speakers
+ Calculates the location of the first reflection points along each of the side walls (for both speakers)
+ Calculates the speaker boundary interference frequencies
+ Calculates the room modes based on the dimensions of the room
+ Estimates the untreated room frequency response curve at the listener location
+ Estimates the T60 (time for a sound to decay -60db) based on the surfaces in the room (using Sabine's formula)
+ Calculates the Schroeder frequency for the room (room crossover frequency from resonator to reflector)
+ Calculates main speaker listening angles
+ Allows screen size and aspect ratio selection from a dropdown menu and calculates viewing angles

This was created to help me do all of these things as I'm designing a new home theater. There are various tools that do some of these things, but I didn't find one (that was free) that did all of them. I have done my best to validate the calculations, but there could be errors. The estimated frequency response curve at the listener is a rough estimate as I had to use linear interpolation for the location on the sinusoidal wave instead of a more precise calculation.

Feel free to use this for your own home theater adventures. Comments are welcome, but please be kind. It may not be perfect, but it meets my needs and might help others as well.

Spreadsheet Link Here

Updates
vb02 - Changed room width data entry to be direct, with secondary entry on listener distance from left wall.
vb10 - Added main speaker angle calculations. For home theater, viewing angle calculations along with a dropdown to select home theater screen size has also been added. The data entry was also simplified.
madams5000 and sdurani like this.

Eletronics: Yamaha 3050 RX A-3050 | Emotiva XPA-5 | Parasound A21 | Parasound P5 | Auralic Aries Mini (music server) | Oppo 205
Speakers: Paradigm Signature S6 v3 (mains) | Paradigm Signature C3 v3 (center) | Paradigm Signature S2 v3 (surrounds) | Paradigm CI Pro 65-R (Atmos ceiling) | Subs SVS SB Ultra 13
Room Treatments: Acoustimac wall and bass traps

Last edited by knappster007; 05-23-2019 at 05:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-22-2019, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Nice, thanks for pulling this together. Will be playing with this over the next few weeks as we just moved into a new place, so new setup. :0)
knappster007 likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-22-2019, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 6932 Post(s)
Liked: 5900
Excellent work! Maybe allow Room Width to be entered (like Room Length and Ceiling Height) rather than solely relying on adding Left Distance + Right Distance. Otherwise, calculated first reflection points (ipsi-lateral and contra-lateral) ended up matching real world locations in my room. Thanx.
knappster007 likes this.

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-22-2019, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
Excellent work! Maybe allow Room Width to be entered (like Room Length and Ceiling Height) rather than solely relying on adding Left Distance + Right Distance. Otherwise, calculated first reflection points (ipsi-lateral and contra-lateral) ended up matching real world locations in my room. Thanx.
That is a good suggestion. I'll try to add this. Not sure why I went with width based on each side of the listener position.
sdurani likes this.

Eletronics: Yamaha 3050 RX A-3050 | Emotiva XPA-5 | Parasound A21 | Parasound P5 | Auralic Aries Mini (music server) | Oppo 205
Speakers: Paradigm Signature S6 v3 (mains) | Paradigm Signature C3 v3 (center) | Paradigm Signature S2 v3 (surrounds) | Paradigm CI Pro 65-R (Atmos ceiling) | Subs SVS SB Ultra 13
post #5 of 8 Old 05-22-2019, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 6932 Post(s)
Liked: 5900
Quote:
Originally Posted by knappster007 View Post
I'll try to add this.
Thanx. Once you know room width, you'll just have to enter Left Distance to figure out listener location. Same way that entering Distance from Front Wall and entering Ear Height automatically subtracts from Room Length and Ceiling Height, respectively, to figure out listener location.

Sanjay
post #6 of 8 Old 05-22-2019, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
Thanx. Once you know room width, you'll just have to enter Left Distance to figure out listener location. Same way that entering Distance from Front Wall and entering Ear Height automatically subtracts from Room Length and Ceiling Height, respectively, to figure out listener location.
Updated to enable room width data entry. Link revised to point to the latest version (b.02). Thanks again for the feedback.
sdurani likes this.

post #7 of 8 Old 05-23-2019, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

The sheet has been updated (vb10) to include main speaker angle calculations. For home theater, viewing angle calculations along with a dropdown to select home theater screen size has also been added. The data entry was simplified a bit as well.

I plan to include optimal ATMOS ceiling speaker location calculations based on room ceiling height with THX standard angles.

More comments and suggestions are welcome.
sdurani likes this.

post #8 of 8 Old 05-24-2019, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Moved to Dedicated Home Theater Design & Construction forum based on all of the home theater specific additions I have made.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page