Help with 5.2.2 surround placement - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By sdurani
  • 1 Post By sdurani
  • 1 Post By sdurani
  • 1 Post By RayGuy
  • 1 Post By RayGuy
  • 1 Post By RayGuy
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 06-03-2019, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Help with 5.2.2 surround placement

Hi, we recently moved and I am working on getting my media room setup as best I can. The room poses a number of problems, most of which won't be able to resolved without construction.

I'm currently addressing the limitations of the built in by pulling out all of the speakers. This has helped a lot already.

With such a short and unusual layout, I am effectively limited to a 5.x.2 setup. Anything more and I fear I will lose adequate separation between the surrounds and heights. Maybe I'm wrong.

I have a pair of RBH SV-61R's on the way for my surrounds, but need help with appropriate placement. The red blobs on the pics is where I'm planning placing these bad boys, but wanted to see if any of you have any tips for the best results.

I have a tons of additional pics and can supply whatever data would be helpful, just let me know.

Thank you

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
bretcoe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 06-04-2019, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hmm...is there a more appropriate place for me to ask this question?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
bretcoe is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 06-04-2019, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
sdurani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Monterey Park, CA
Posts: 27,561
Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6964 Post(s)
Liked: 5944
If you're going to do a 5.1 set-up with a single pair of Surround speakers, they would be less distracting if placed in the back corners of the room, a foot or so above seated ear height, aimed towards the listening area. With your seating away from the back wall, you're an ideal candidate for a 7.1 set-up, with the Side speakers slightly forward of the listeners and Rear speakers in the back corners. In fact, on the right side, I would place the speakers just above the light switch plates (and copy those locations on the left side). This will give you wrap-around envelopment and side-vs-rear separation in the surround field that is not possible with only one pair of Surrounds.

If doing one pair of height speakers, then mount them on or in the ceiling a couple feet or so forward of the listening area. Again, with your seating away from the back wall, you are an ideal candidate for two pairs of height speakers, with each pair at roughly 45 degrees elevation forward & rearward of you (measure from your ears to the ceiling, that same distance forward & rearward of you on the ceiling is 45 degrees elevation). One pair of heights will let you hear left-vs-right movement overhead. Two pairs of heights will let you hear left-vs-right AND front-vs-back movement above you.

So even if you stick with a 5.2.2 set-up, keep in mind that your choice of seating location makes it easy to do a 7.2.4 set-up and take good advantage of what the additional speakers bring to the table.
bretcoe likes this.

Sanjay
sdurani is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 Old 06-04-2019, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
If you're going to do a 5.1 set-up with a single pair of Surround speakers, they would be less distracting if placed in the back corners of the room, a foot or so above seated ear height, aimed towards the listening area. With your seating away from the back wall, you're an ideal candidate for a 7.1 set-up, with the Side speakers slightly forward of the listeners and Rear speakers in the back corners. In fact, on the right side, I would place the speakers just above the light switch plates (and copy those locations on the left side). This will give you wrap-around envelopment and side-vs-rear separation in the surround field that is not possible with only one pair of Surrounds.



If doing one pair of height speakers, then mount them on or in the ceiling a couple feet or so forward of the listening area. Again, with your seating away from the back wall, you are an ideal candidate for two pairs of height speakers, with each pair at roughly 45 degrees elevation forward & rearward of you (measure from your ears to the ceiling, that same distance forward & rearward of you on the ceiling is 45 degrees elevation). One pair of heights will let you hear left-vs-right movement overhead. Two pairs of heights will let you hear left-vs-right AND front-vs-back movement above you.



So even if you stick with a 5.2.2 set-up, keep in mind that your choice of seating location makes it easy to do a 7.2.4 set-up and take good advantage of what the additional speakers bring to the table.
Hi @sdurani ,

I appreciate your response, it is very helpful.

I want to make sure I understand what you are saying. The left side is the real problem because of the distance to the wall. Is this kind of what you are talking about?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
bretcoe is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 06-04-2019, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
sdurani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Monterey Park, CA
Posts: 27,561
Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6964 Post(s)
Liked: 5944
Didn't realize the left wall was so far away. In that case. probably better to do a single pair of Surround speakers and place them like in your 5.2.2 drawing. However, I would still take advantage of your couch being away from the back wall by doing 4 height speakers (5.2.4 set-up).
bretcoe likes this.

Sanjay
sdurani is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 06-04-2019, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I'll get some distances to the wall.

Are the areas for the x.x.4 IC's about right?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
bretcoe is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 06-04-2019, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
sdurani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Monterey Park, CA
Posts: 27,561
Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6964 Post(s)
Liked: 5944
Quote:
Originally Posted by bretcoe View Post
Are the areas for the x.x.4 IC's about right?
Did you follow the instructions from my earlier post for height speaker placement?
robbyc30 likes this.

Sanjay
sdurani is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 06-04-2019, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,387
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2596 Post(s)
Liked: 2351
Light Blue dots in the diagram. This more defines the diagonal speaker placement scenario. Five channel configuration.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RearChannels.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	2575970  
bretcoe likes this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
RayGuy is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 06-04-2019, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Light Blue dots in the diagram. This more defines the diagonal speaker placement scenario. Five channel configuration.
Hi Ray,

Thanks for the drawing!

I'm racking my brain coming up with good solutions. I did redo a gorilla style drawing with the couch for scale, and a better representation of the built ins angle.

I can't see anyway to cram 7 bed channels, or 4 heights and still have adequate separation. The room is just too small.

It seems like I'll need a stand for the left, and then just make the right match.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
bretcoe is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 06-04-2019, 10:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,387
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2596 Post(s)
Liked: 2351
Given that the angle is not as great as originally thought, that config looks to be more than adequate. Just experiment and see what works best. Let your ears decide.
bretcoe likes this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
RayGuy is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 06-15-2019, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
This where I'm at now, 5.2.4

I'm having trouble with the low end now though. I'll get some REW graphs to show what I mean, but in general the 5.x.4 piece is performing pretty well.

I was hoping I could get away without needing the minidsp sub eq, but now am going to get one ordered. Plus, it's time to evaluate the replacement options for my Sunfire hrs-12's. I'm leaning toward dual svs sb3k's.

I think my ceiling area is just a bit too cramped for x4 overheads, and am leaning toward 5.x.2 again. It seems like there is not enough separation between the bed and overhead channels to ensure solid definition.



Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by bretcoe; 06-15-2019 at 07:28 AM.
bretcoe is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 06-15-2019, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,387
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2596 Post(s)
Liked: 2351
I would try two things for the surround speakers. First, try them toed-in a bit more, so they are almost facing each other. The other thing to try is having them raised a bit higher. Both these options are an attempt to avoid the "speaker in your ear" effect that you get when seated close to one or the other surround.

Given you are having bass issues with the subs in their current positions, it might make some sense to try separating them, perhaps one in the back and one in the front? This might give you a more even frequency response across a broader area of the room. Another option would be to have them on the sides of the room, facing each other. Given the non-rectangularness of the room, placing the subs is more of a challenge and experimentation is definitely in order.
bretcoe likes this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 06-15-2019 at 03:33 PM.
RayGuy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off