[TECH SUPPORT] Can't Use 5.1 Surround Sound on Compatible System - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ratman

post #1 of 9 Old 06-07-2019, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question [TECH SUPPORT] Can't Use 5.1 Surround Sound on Compatible System

I am trying to use 5.1 surround sound on my setup, but it's not working properly.

SETUP:
Home theatre: Samsung HT-J450 (samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/home-theater/home-theater-systems/ht-j4500-home-theater-system-ht-j4500-za)

Projector: Optoma GT1080 (optoma.com/us/product/gt1080/)

Splitter: Proster HDMI Splitter (amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B073TT8JGN?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title)

Operating System: Windows 10

CONNECTIONS:

HDMI cable from computer's HDMI out to the splitter's HDMI in.
HDMI cable from splitter's HDMI out to the projector's HDMI in.
Optical audio cable from splitter's optical out to the home theatre receiver's optical in.

The splitter's switch is set to "5.1CH", the receiver is in "D-IN" mode, and I have selected 5.1 output in Windows' sound settings.

However, when I use Windows' sound test to check the speakers, only the front left and front right speakers play a sound. What could be wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-07-2019, 09:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Okay let’s try to make this simple...for right now.
The receiver (the one you linked) does not have an HDMI input. It has a built in Blu Ray/DVD Player.
Forget the splitter, and the computer for now.
Connect the HDMI output from the receiver to the Projector.
Play a Blu-Ray.

How did that go?
Will deal with the computer later.

Espo77's living room equipment: RECEIVER: Yamaha RX-A3030- SPEAKERS: Boston Acoustics M350, M25 center, surrounds, and front heights-
BLU-RAY: Oppo BDP103D- SUBWOOFER: HSU VTF-15H MK2- dedicated circuits for A/V- TV: Vizio P55C-1
Auralex Acoustics LENRD - Auralex Acoustics Roominator
post #3 of 9 Old 06-07-2019, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply. I hope you can help me solve this issue.

1: Yes, that's right. The receiver does not have HDMI In, but it does have optical audio in. The splitter has an HDMI Out to the projector, and an optical audio out to the receiver's optical audio in. Does that make sense?

2: I don't own any physical Blu-Ray discs, but I can get one if needed. I assume you're asking so that we can test whether the receiver on its own has any issues outputting 5.1 sound. Do you have any other instructions for me while I get a Blu-Ray disc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-07-2019, 11:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadOfJarg View Post
Thank you for your reply. I hope you can help me solve this issue.

1: Yes, that's right. The receiver does not have HDMI In, but it does have optical audio in. The splitter has an HDMI Out to the projector, and an optical audio out to the receiver's optical audio in. Does that make sense?

2: I don't own any physical Blu-Ray discs, but I can get one if needed. I assume you're asking so that we can test whether the receiver on its own has any issues outputting 5.1 sound. Do you have any other instructions for me while I get a Blu-Ray disc?
I guess I’m minimizing the components just for simplicity...for troubleshooting.
Stick with me for a minute...forget the Optical Audio cable.
Play a Blu-Ray or DVD.
The connections will be HDMI out of the receiver, to the HDMI input on the Projector.
See if this performs 5.1. You might need to go into the receiver’s menu to properly configure so you can fire it up.
Remember, the receiver has no HDMI input...

Espo77's living room equipment: RECEIVER: Yamaha RX-A3030- SPEAKERS: Boston Acoustics M350, M25 center, surrounds, and front heights-
BLU-RAY: Oppo BDP103D- SUBWOOFER: HSU VTF-15H MK2- dedicated circuits for A/V- TV: Vizio P55C-1
post #5 of 9 Old 06-08-2019, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 2543 Post(s)
Liked: 2354
The OP has an issue with the audio extractor (splitter) and the PC.

I'd suspect that the EDID or HDMI handshake between the PC and extractor is telling the PC to "downshift" to 2 channel (PCM Stereo).
1) Have you tried setting the extractor's setting to "Pass"?
2) Does the PC have an optical output?
3) Does the Audio receiver and PC have digital coax you can try?

If options 2 or three work... then perhaps you won't need the extractor. Just throwin' out some thoughts.

EDIT:
Looked at the specs of the AVR and extractor. Oh well, options 1 and 3 at out. Sorry, looks like option #2 may be worth a try, if possible.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein

Last edited by Ratman; 06-08-2019 at 08:43 AM.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-08-2019, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

[QUOTE=Ratman;58156794]The OP has an issue with the audio extractor (splitter) and the PC.

Maybe l’m not following this. In post #1 the OP says he tried the windows sound check, so I was assuming that he hasn’t actually heard a Blu-Ray etc..

post #7 of 9 Old 06-08-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 View Post
Maybe l’m not following this. In post #1 the OP says he tried the windows sound check, so I was assuming that he hasn’t actually heard a Blu-Ray etc..

I think we are all confused somewhat.

1) If using the DVD player that's built in to the HTiB, there's no need for the audio extractor. Just run HDMI from the AVR to the TV and let the AVR work it's 5.1 magic.

2) If using the PC for video and audio, then the audio extractor is necessary to get HDMI (video) to the PJ and extract the 5.1 audio (DD/DTS) to the AVR.

If #1 , you're done.
If #2 , someone needs to determine/suggest where the problem lies; the PC, the extractor, the AVR, etc.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #8 of 9 Old 06-08-2019, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
I think we are all confused somewhat.

1) If using the DVD player that's built in to the HTiB, there's no need for the audio extractor. Just run HDMI from the AVR to the TV and let the AVR work it's 5.1 magic.

2) If using the PC for video and audio, then the audio extractor is necessary to get HDMI (video) to the PJ and extract the 5.1 audio (DD/DTS) to the AVR.

If #1, you're done.
If #2, someone needs to determine/suggest where the problem lies; the PC, the extractor, the AVR, etc.

I am trying to get option 2 working. I won't be using the receiver's built-in Blu-Ray player because I want to use my laptop for all video and audio.

Like I said, I don't have any Blu-Ray discs, but I can get one to troubleshoot the receiver. I can update the thread with the results of that test in a few days.

Also, in post #5 you asked whether my PC has optical out and it does not--it only has HDMI out.

Thanks again for your time and help.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-08-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadOfJarg View Post
Like I said, I don't have any Blu-Ray discs, but I can get one to troubleshoot the receiver. I can update the thread with the results of that test in a few days.
Doesn't have to be Bluray. Any DVD will suffice to test 5.1 audio of the AVR. It will probably be fine.

Need to determine if the optical input of the AVR is set properly for DD/DTS 5.1.
Need to determine Win10 settings of the HDMI audio output of the PC.
Need to determine if the audio extractor/HDMI/Laptop are playing nice.

All that is known... it passes "stereo". So that's a start.
Espo77 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
5.1 , Optoma , Samsung , support , surround

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page