Atmos amplifier options - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-11-2019, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Atmos amplifier options

I currently have a 7.1.4 Atmos setup. The front left and right speakers are Mission 735. They are rated to 150W, are 8 ohms, and have a sensitivity of 85 to 90 db depending on where you read. I have a RZ830 (120wpc @ 2 driven) driving the left, right and center, two side surrounds, and the four upper. I have a NR906 (145W @ 2 driven) running the rear surrounds.

Now the questions:

1. It seems like I should also drive the three front with the NR906. This is in addition to the two rear surrounds. Logical?

2. Another thought is to bridge the NR906 for the left and right front, and still use it to run the center and rear surrounds.

3. Lastly, I could bridge the NR906 for the left and right front, and center (not bridged). I would then get another two channel amp for the rear surrounds.

(For those not familiar, I must use some external amp for the rear surrounds on the RZ830)

Summary:

Current
RZ830 L/C/R, two side surrounds and four upper
NR906 Two rear surrounds

RZ830 Two side surrounds and four upper
NR906 L/C/R and two rear surrounds

NR906 Bridged L/R, non bridged center, and two rear surrounds

NR906 Bridged L/R and non bridged center
M-282 Two rear surrounds

Opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-12-2019, 02:04 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 70
It might be best to keep it like you have now but its impossible to know unless you try. Do you play very loud or feel the receiver is stressed a lot?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 Old 06-12-2019, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeliemix View Post
It might be best to keep it like you have now but its impossible to know unless you try. Do you play very loud or feel the receiver is stressed a lot?

Thanks. I will likely try the combinations when I put banana plugs on the speaker wires as I will have the components moved out and readily available. Actually, I am not disappointed with the current setup, but I have five good amps in the 906 sitting there doing nothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-12-2019, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 83
You will not notice any difference going from 120 wpc. to 145 wpc, so I would say #1 isn't worth the hassle. Bridging will give you more headroom in FL/FR and you might notice a slight improvement there. Of the options you listed, I'd go with #2 . Unless you already own the M-282, then go with #3 . I just wouldn't buy a 2-channel just to run rear surrounds for scenario 3.

Pre/Pro: Anthem AVR 60 | 5.2.4 Config: MartinLogan ElectroMotion ESL X FL/FR, ESL C Center, Motion LX16 Surrounds, Motion 4i Atmos | Subs: Velodyne DD-15, Martin Logan Dynamo 1100x | Amplification: Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1 FL/C/FR, Emotiva A-700 Surrounds and Atmos

Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
post #5 of 5 Old 06-12-2019, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyRider View Post
You will not notice any difference going from 120 wpc. to 145 wpc, so I would say #1 isn't worth the hassle. Bridging will give you more headroom in FL/FR and you might notice a slight improvement there. Of the options you listed, I'd go with #2 . Unless you already own the M-282, then go with #3 . I just wouldn't buy a 2-channel just to run rear surrounds for scenario 3.
That was in line with what I was thinking. I like what I have, but thought the change "might" be better.

There is one other option I may look at. It would be #2 , but leave the center on the 830. The 4 uppers and 2 side surrounds are not that active. Additionally, only 7 of the 9 amps would be in use. Thus, the center would be the only demanding speaker on the 830. It would also ease the load on the 906.

Thanks for the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page