Having wires ran behind the walls, need a sanity check - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Espo77

post #1 of 5 Old 06-11-2019, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Having wires ran behind the walls, need a sanity check

Hey gang,
Bought my first house, and for the first time in 19 years I won't be running speaker wires along baseboards and in stick-on conduit!

We're having all the work done in a few weeks, and wanted to check out my placement/measurements/math. Setting up for 5.1.x, all Klipsch Reference Premiere speakers, and Hsu VTF-2 MK5. Everything will be terminated to wall jacks (all of the A/V equipment will be in the storage room right behind the TV), so I want to make sure the placement of everything is right to try to minimize visible wires.

The spacing of the front surrounds should allow for a ~120" projector screen in the future. I'm having them install a power outlet and a smurf tube to dead center on the ceiling at the far wall the couch is against.

Also, I'd like opinions on the never-ending debate over 5.1.2 vs 5.1.4 Atmos with the couch against the back wall. While I may be able to move the couch out a foot in the future, the currently the WAF will not allow it. I've done the geometry for .2 and .4, with the rear heights just being as far back as I can have them installed. Is it even worth it? Is incorrect 5.1.4 still better than 5.1.2?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear channels.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	2579002   Click image for larger version

Name:	overhead.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	331.5 KB
ID:	2579004   Click image for larger version

Name:	front channels.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	2579006   Click image for larger version

Name:	atmos 4.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	222.3 KB
ID:	2579008   Click image for larger version

Name:	atmos 2.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	2579010  

Click image for larger version

Name:	side atmos.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	2579012  

Last edited by therippa; 06-11-2019 at 10:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-12-2019, 06:14 PM
DT4

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by therippa View Post
Hey gang,
Bought my first house, and for the first time in 19 years I won't be running speaker wires along baseboards and in stick-on conduit!

We're having all the work done in a few weeks, and wanted to check out my placement/measurements/math. Setting up for 5.1.x, all Klipsch Reference Premiere speakers, and Hsu VTF-2 MK5. Everything will be terminated to wall jacks (all of the A/V equipment will be in the storage room right behind the TV), so I want to make sure the placement of everything is right to try to minimize visible wires.

The spacing of the front surrounds should allow for a ~120" projector screen in the future. I'm having them install a power outlet and a smurf tube to dead center on the ceiling at the far wall the couch is against.

Also, I'd like opinions on the never-ending debate over 5.1.2 vs 5.1.4 Atmos with the couch against the back wall. While I may be able to move the couch out a foot in the future, the currently the WAF will not allow it. I've done the geometry for .2 and .4, with the rear heights just being as far back as I can have them installed. Is it even worth it? Is incorrect 5.1.4 still better than 5.1.2?
Congrats on your new home! I would highly recommend pulling out the couch a foot or more if you can. Since the other side of the room is closed, only purpose to entering the room would be to watch TV. It wouldn't block any through traffic if you will. The space behind the couch can be filled with a hall table or similar to make it usable and more WAF friendly. Let her pick the table if she agrees to compromise to pull out the couch a foot or two. =)

RE 5.1.2 vs 5.1.4 I would wire as many as you can afford, especially if the walls are not finished. Wire is cheap and easy to run when its just studs when doing it yourself or if finished and someone else is doing it for you. Even if wired for .4 you may only start with .2 but have options in the future to expand on its ready to go. Thats what I chose to do but with front & rear heights vs ceilings as in your case. As far as using .4 with the couch against the wall, the more speakers the better IMO, even if it is not exactly to "recommendations" if you will. The receiver will use what speakers you have available to give the best experience from the MLP. Remember everything is a guideline and not set in stone. I have my surrounds placed where most people would put Rear Surrounds traditionally and it sounds great to me. Have fun and enjoy your new space!

5.4.4 - Subs: SVS PB16-Ultra x 4 | AVR: Denon AVR-X4200W | Ext Amp: Emotiva BasX A-150 | L&R: Polk RTiA7 | F&R Heights: Polk RTiA3 | SL&SR: Polk RTiA7 | C: Polk CSiA6 | Display: Sharp LC-70UH30U | UHD Source: Sony UBP-UX80
post #3 of 5 Old 06-12-2019, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by therippa View Post
Hey gang,

Nice drawings.
If you search for sound quality with “sofa on back wall” you and the wife will understand why moving it forward definitely produces better audio.
As for placement of speakers, print off something from Dolby’s web sight showing the correct pattern for the configuration you’re looking for. You can give that to the installer, and see that he follows the layout.
Wire for 5.1.4. It will be there when you are ready.
Make sure he uses approved in wall speaker wire...CL2/CL3. Many of us here recommend spools from www.monoprice.com
You can check pricing yourself.
Make sure you use the proper gauge wire...longer runs need lower gauge.

“Front surrounds”?? What’s this?
The 4, is 4 in the ceiling. See www.Dolby.com
BTW, 4 is better than 2.
Would love to see you pull the towers forward a bit, and the sofa away from the wall too! It’s proper.
DT4 likes this.

Espo77's living room equipment: RECEIVER: Yamaha RX-A3030- SPEAKERS: Boston Acoustics M350, M25 center, surrounds, and front heights-
BLU-RAY: Oppo BDP103D- SUBWOOFER: HSU VTF-15H MK2- dedicated circuits for A/V- TV: Vizio P55C-1
Auralex Acoustics LENRD - Auralex Acoustics Roominator

Last edited by Espo77; 06-12-2019 at 06:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old Today, 05:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
My advice would be to wire it with as much as you possibly can. Plan for the future now before the walls go on. Spending $200 now on wire will save you a ton of money and hassle later trying to get to that 9.2.6 we are surely heading to. If I were to do it all over again, I'd fill my walls with PVC runs so that I could fish wire through and cut in wherever I wanted.

I know that this is probably out of the question, but could you rotate the theater area 90 degrees clockwise so that the screen is on the left wall? That would give you a ton more room to place the speakers closer to where they should be.
post #5 of 5 Old Today, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon C View Post
I know that this is probably out of the question, but could you rotate the theater area 90 degrees clockwise so that the screen is on the left wall? That would give you a ton more room to place the speakers closer to where they should be.
I agree with turning the orientation. You don't need a rear wall for Atmos but that missing side wall is a bigger issue. Having open space behind you saves you the awkward space to the wall behind the couch as the couch will be in the center already. When you do go to a projector you will appreciate having room to add a second row of seating, even if as simple as a bar behind couch or beanbags in front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page