Trying to find the right switch for selecting speakers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-14-2019, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Trying to find the right switch for selecting speakers

Getting some help over in the Home Automation forum, but thought this forum might be able to help me find what I'm looking for. I'm basically setting things up to get audio from my PC to a couple different rooms. Might go wireless, but thinking wired might be easier/better. Landed on audio over Ethernet, as it seems like I can do some long runs and I've already got that between a couple of the rooms. The most basic version would be taking the 3.5mm out from my PC, splitting it into 3 channels, and then using Ethernet adapters to run Cat cable, with the other Ethernet adapter before my speakers.
Ideally, I would like a switch that can choose any combination of the 3 channels on or off. I've searched through Amazon, but quickly got confused about if the switches were one or the other or could do multiples, etc. Can someone save me some time and point me in the right direction? If there are only this type of switch for 2 channels (again using A and/or B) I could make that work probably. Also, if it is easier to convert to Ethernet then use some kind of switch, that's fine as well.
Just trying to keep costs down and get my music playing.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-14-2019, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 5538 Post(s)
Liked: 3979
Converting line level audio, such as RCA audio cords or 3.5mm mini plug audio cords, into Ethernet transmission via just mechanical adapters can have serious audible problems. There are devices, I believe, that will electrically convert one to the other safely, however I have never worked with them personally.

Here's a random example I googled up:https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/used/...SABEgLiKvD_BwE
post #3 of 4 Old 06-18-2019, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked: 2728
Seems to me you are making it harder than it needs to be. Just take the output from the PC and run it into an 8 channel zone amp (one extra for later expansion or bridge for outdoor speakers), then run speaker wire to the speakers. Many zone amps have on/off/volume control.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-18-2019, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I know there are products like these: http://www.ambery.com/strcaaubaexo.html

They convert single ended analog to balanced analog, might do the trick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat