Wide Dispersion Speakers as side surround a bad idea in my 5.1.4 setup? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By DT4

post #1 of 4 Old 06-17-2019, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wide Dispersion Speakers as side surround a bad idea in my 5.1.4 setup?

I am trying to figure out which rear speakers to use in my system and am leaning towards either the Klipsch R-5650-S (In-wall) or RP-402S (on-wall). I already have Klipsch Reference for the LCR and thus am looking at Klipsch primarily. My question is whether using these "bi-pole" type Wide Dispersion speakers would be a bad idea for my side surrounds? Planning to eventually do a full 5.1.4 Atmos setup which may make either of these a bad choice, but beyond that I'm thinking more of just the room layout itself. I will mount this only as side surrounds and need them either on wall or in wall (preferred) due to needing to walk next to the RL speaker to enter the main seating area (my old bookshelves are too big).

My concern focuses mostly on the RR speaker and the potentially odd reflections that could happen being so near the wall (especially as opposed to the RL which has no wall near by). Hopefully the diagram I've drawn up is clear enough to help offer any advice

Should I forget the wide dispersion types and go direct radiating monopole instead?

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture - Copy.PNG
Views:	28
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	2581364  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-18-2019, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked: 5941
Quote:
Originally Posted by marffeus View Post
My concern focuses mostly on the RR speaker and the potentially odd reflections that could happen being so near the wall (especially as opposed to the RL which has no wall near by). Hopefully the diagram I've drawn up is clear enough to help offer any advice
IF you are going to use dipole surrounds, then put a some broadband absorption on the small piece of wall next to the right surround speaker. Or use monopole speakers, but place them slightly rearward of the listeners (not directly to the sides).

Sanjay
post #3 of 4 Old 06-19-2019, 10:00 AM
DT4

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 39
According to Dolby:

Quote:
An ideal listener-level setup will include monopole or bipole speaker designs. Dolby does not recommend the use of dipole speakers for use at the listener level; the highly diffuse sound patterns of dipole speakers interfere with the accurate positioning of sounds in the three-dimensional soundstage that is Dolby Atmos.
Reference: https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolo...me-theater.pdf
fill35U likes this.

5.4.4 - Subs: SVS PB16-Ultra x 4 | AVR: Denon AVR-X4200W | Ext Amp: Emotiva BasX A-150 | L&R: Polk RTiA7 | F&R Heights: Polk RTiA3 | SL&SR: Polk RTiA7 | C: Polk CSiA6 | Display: Sharp LC-70UH30U | UHD Source: Sony UBP-UX80
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-21-2019, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the replies - I will plan to go with something like the Klipsch R-5800-W for installation. Also considering the low-profile RP-240D but not sure how they'd sound compared to the R-5800-W
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page