Samsung Q6 ARC limitations? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-24-2019, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Samsung Q6 ARC limitations?

I have a 5.1 setup and a Denon x3400h receiver which streams my movies from PLEX.

Am I losing any quality by streaming from my TV vs something like an Nvidia shield etc? I've already found a limitation on 4k where I have to change from 7.1 TrueHD to 5.1 AAC or it won't stream.

I'm not sure what my setup should be to ensure I'm getting the absolute best audio quality from my movies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-25-2019, 12:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 137
ARC doesnt do uncompressed audio like Dolby TrueHD yet, its supposed to with the new eARC thats on the way. So for now you will need something to connect directly to the receiver for the best sound.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #3 of 9 Old 06-25-2019, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeliemix View Post
ARC doesnt do uncompressed audio like Dolby TrueHD yet, its supposed to with the new eARC thats on the way. So for now you will need something to connect directly to the receiver for the best sound.

Thanks for the reply. I've just realized a couple of my favorite movies were converted to AAC Stereo and I had no idea so I've been listening to these not even in surround?? x_x Just re-ripped them and using the raw MKV file and using DTS-HD MA 7.1 now instead.

So to get this straight I need to buy an Nvidia Shield in order to be sure my PLEX server can stream my content over without deteriorated compression AND stop using my ARC channel? I have a 5.1 setup with JBL 590s/290s/520 so no 7.1, but all my content is in AC3 5.1.... am I losing out in 2 places?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-25-2019, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majicpanda View Post
Thanks for the reply. I've just realized a couple of my favorite movies were converted to AAC Stereo and I had no idea so I've been listening to these not even in surround?? x_x Just re-ripped them and using the raw MKV file and using DTS-HD MA 7.1 now instead.

So to get this straight I need to buy an Nvidia Shield in order to be sure my PLEX server can stream my content over without deteriorated compression AND stop using my ARC channel? I have a 5.1 setup with JBL 590s/290s/520 so no 7.1, but all my content is in AC3 5.1.... am I losing out in 2 places?

I dont know the capabilities of Nvidia Shield or PLEX as i use discs and 4kAppleTv but both can probably handle uncompressed dts hd ma and dolby true hd. ARC can only handle Dolby Digital (ac3) so works for that but not the better quality uncompressed tracks.
7.1 vs 5.1 doesnt really matter much, the rear surround tracks get sent to the normal surrounds (or other way around if you use rear surrounds) so you dont loose any sound information as such.

post #5 of 9 Old 06-25-2019, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I dont know the capabilities of Nvidia Shield or PLEX as i use discs and 4kAppleTv but both can probably handle uncompressed dts hd ma and dolby true hd. ARC can only handle Dolby Digital (ac3) so works for that but not the better quality uncompressed tracks.
7.1 vs 5.1 doesnt really matter much, the rear surround tracks get sent to the normal surrounds (or other way around if you use rear surrounds) so you dont loose any sound information as such.

If I'm streaming a DTS 5.1 track from my Samsung Q6 and fed to my receiver through ARC am I going to notice a difference if I instead got a Shield/AppleTV or something compatible that would actually handle the DTS track or would $200 basically be a waste at that point? I'm going to be a "tad" upset if I've been hindering my $5000 sound system the past year.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-25-2019, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If I'm streaming a DTS 5.1 track from my Samsung Q6 and fed to my receiver through ARC am I going to notice a difference if I instead got a Shield/AppleTV or something compatible that would actually handle the DTS track or would $200 basically be a waste at that point? I'm going to be a "tad" upset if I've been hindering my $5000 sound system the past year.

A lossy normal dts 5.1 i think ARC can handle, its the higher bitrate HD-MA that is too much.
The display on your receiver should show what its getting.

post #7 of 9 Old 06-25-2019, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
A lossy normal dts 5.1 i think ARC can handle, its the higher bitrate HD-MA that is too much.
The display on your receiver should show what its getting.

I just got the below list off Samsung's website for my Q6 as to what it supports, so it seems as though all my DTS tracks possibly get transcoded to AC3 and from reading.. AC3 and DTS really aren't that different in audio quality (though some seem to disagree).

My biggest problem then is I do have some movies like Thor: Ragnarok which plays in TrueHD 7.1 and it won't play at all and I have to change it to AC3 5.1 and then The Last Jedi has DTS-HD MA 7.1 which plays but you're saying it possibly is getting transcoded I bet by PLEX down to something horrible. This is unacceptable =/ Guess I'll be looking for a real blu-ray player or other device to stream my content in supported formats.

AC-3
AC-4
LPCM
ADPCM (IMA, MS)
AAC
HE-AAC
WMA
DD+
MPEG (MP3)
MPEG-H
G.711 (A-Law, µ-Law)
Opus
post #8 of 9 Old 06-25-2019, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I just got the below list off Samsung's website for my Q6 as to what it supports, so it seems as though all my DTS tracks possibly get transcoded to AC3 and from reading.. AC3 and DTS really aren't that different in audio quality (though some seem to disagree).

My biggest problem then is I do have some movies like Thor: Ragnarok which plays in TrueHD 7.1 and it won't play at all and I have to change it to AC3 5.1 and then The Last Jedi has DTS-HD MA 7.1 which plays but you're saying it possibly is getting transcoded I bet by PLEX down to something horrible. This is unacceptable =/ Guess I'll be looking for a real blu-ray player or other device to stream my content in supported formats.

AC-3

AC-4

LPCM

ADPCM (IMA, MS)

AAC

HE-AAC

WMA

DD+

MPEG (MP3)

MPEG-H

G.711 (A-Law, µ-Law)

Opus

Plex might not transcode to lesser quality if streaming to a device that can support it but i dont know, hopefully someone else will chime in who does know. Or you might find some information if checking out the nvidia shield.

post #9 of 9 Old 06-26-2019, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

So... I got an Nvidia Shield and just realized you can monitor your PLEX stream and see what it's playing because the receiver sometimes isn't accurate when streaming and I realized some movies were being transcoded AAC...... FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! Others were playing AC3 5.1 but the ARC channel did not have enough bandwidth and while playing Iron Man 2 I am getting very consistent bass in a scene I knew should have more but could never figure it out.

tldr; Don't ever use ARC... ever, and if you need to stream anything do NOT use your Smart TV if you value your audio at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page