• 1 Post By Squirrel!
  • 1 Post By Skinfax1

post #1 of 16 Old 07-12-2019, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Center channel placement

Just started setting up my first PJ screen and now looking at speaker setup. The issue I have is a tight space (7' ceilings) and the PJ screen leaves only about 1' maybe a few more inches. Is this going to be too low for a center channel or is it not too noticeable? I have the Emotiva c1. Looking for input, would consider maybe downsizing the screen if needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-12-2019, 05:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 3589 Post(s)
Liked: 2023
I always want my center speaker as close to eye level as I can get...if I must I have it lower and aim a bit higher. havent had a problem with boston acoustics, klipsch, or focal centers.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #3 of 16 Old 07-12-2019, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
I always want my center speaker as close to eye level as I can get...if I must I have it lower and aim a bit higher. havent had a problem with boston acoustics, klipsch, or focal centers.
Yeah, I just did a bit of reading. I can place lower if I need just sounds like suggestions to angle up toward head level.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 07-12-2019, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Being that low, you will definitely want to angle it up toward the listening position. I would say to try that first before getting a smaller screen. I think you'd have to go quite a bit smaller with the screen to make any real difference. For example, the height difference between a 110" 16:9 and a 100" 16:9 screen is only about 5".

Another option, not sure if it's feasible for you, is to get an acoustically transparent screen and place the speaker(s) behind the screen.
ChromeJob likes this.

Pre/Pro: Anthem AVR 60 | 5.2.4 Config: MartinLogan ElectroMotion ESL X FL/FR, ESL C Center, Motion LX16 Surrounds, Motion 4i Atmos | Subs: Velodyne DD-15, Martin Logan Dynamo 1100x | Amplification: Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1 FL/C/FR, Emotiva A-700 Surrounds and Atmos

Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
post #5 of 16 Old 07-12-2019, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyRider View Post
Being that low, you will definitely want to angle it up toward the listening position. I would say to try that first before getting a smaller screen. I think you'd have to go quite a bit smaller with the screen to make any real difference. For example, the height difference between a 110" 16:9 and a 100" 16:9 screen is only about 5".

Another option, not sure if it's feasible for you, is to get an acoustically transparent screen and place the speaker(s) behind the screen.
Dont think acoustically transparent will work with my setup. Do you have any recommendations for some sort of wedge or mount that can tilt the speaker up? I am thinking something like this otherwise might work on each end with the back on the floor.

https://www.worldwidestereo.com/prod...BoCfmYQAvD_BwE
post #6 of 16 Old 07-12-2019, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Scrap the center and go phantom. You'll enjoy it more.
Skinfax1 likes this.

Main: Mitsubishi 73736|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|1-1000watt & 1-500watt DIY 12" Subs|2 Bass Shaker|APC H15 Power Conditioner|Harmony Hub|Sennheiser RS 160|SMSL B1 BT Rx|Linksys SE2500
MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTV3|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Dayton SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin PF30|Harmony 550
post #7 of 16 Old 07-12-2019, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel! View Post
Scrap the center and go phantom. You'll enjoy it more.
Why would I enjoy it more?
post #8 of 16 Old 07-12-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Flaherty View Post
Dont think acoustically transparent will work with my setup. Do you have any recommendations for some sort of wedge or mount that can tilt the speaker up? I am thinking something like this otherwise might work on each end with the back on the floor.

https://www.worldwidestereo.com/prod...BoCfmYQAvD_BwE
I don't see why that wouldn't work. Short of building something yourself, the only other thing I would suggest is something like this that's used to angle a guitar amp:

https://www.americanmusical.com/Item...-AMPWEDGE-LIST

The nice thing about this one is that it allows for some angle adjustment. It's not quite as wide as your speaker, but you still might be able to get by with just one. But you might want to cover it so you don't have to look at the "WWW.AMPWEDGE.COM" advertisement stamped across the front...

Pre/Pro: Anthem AVR 60 | 5.2.4 Config: MartinLogan ElectroMotion ESL X FL/FR, ESL C Center, Motion LX16 Surrounds, Motion 4i Atmos | Subs: Velodyne DD-15, Martin Logan Dynamo 1100x | Amplification: Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1 FL/C/FR, Emotiva A-700 Surrounds and Atmos

post #9 of 16 Old 07-12-2019, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I don't see why that wouldn't work. Short of building something yourself, the only other thing I would suggest is something like this that's used to angle a guitar amp:

https://www.americanmusical.com/Item...-AMPWEDGE-LIST

The nice thing about this one is that it allows for some angle adjustment. It's not quite as wide as your speaker, but you still might be able to get by with just one. But you might want to cover it so you don't have to look at the "WWW.AMPWEDGE.COM" advertisement stamped across the front...
I actually just found this. Like it much better than both if it will work. Thanks for the suggestion though.

https://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Uni-...s%2C148&sr=8-3
post #10 of 16 Old 07-12-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
I actually just found this. Like it much better than both if it will work. Thanks for the suggestion though.

https://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Uni-...s%2C148&sr=8-3
I'm not sure that's going to work. Looks like it's made for speakers/amps that are 18" to 32" tall. Your C1 is only about 8.5" tall. I don't think the angles are going to work out right.

post #11 of 16 Old 07-12-2019, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm not sure that's going to work. Looks like it's made for speakers/amps that are 18" to 32" tall. Your C1 is only about 8.5" tall. I don't think the angles are going to work out right.
Hm okay. Ill have to look into it more. Any recommendation for bookshelf speaker stands? I thought the b1's were wall mountable but it doesnt seem like they are. Should have done my research
post #12 of 16 Old 07-12-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Hm okay. Ill have to look into it more. Any recommendation for bookshelf speaker stands? I thought the b1's were wall mountable but it doesnt seem like they are. Should have done my research
Yeah, your B1's are rear ported, so you don't want them up against the wall. Need to give them some room for the ports to breathe. I've used Sanus stands in the past. Relatively inexpensive, decent quality for the price. Most stands are over-priced, in my opinion.

Before you buy anything, measure your ear height when you're sitting in the main listening position. Then go to your B1 and measure the height of the tweeter from the bottom of the speaker. Subtract that from your first measurement and that's around the height of the stand you want. When you place the speakers on the stand, you want the tweeters to line up at ear height as closely as possible.

Check out what Crutchfield has. Something like the Natural Foundations stands that come in several heights and a couple different finishes. I like these because they have a larger top plate than some of the others, approx. 7.5" X 7.5".

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_051NF1...k-lacquer.html

post #13 of 16 Old 07-12-2019, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 6359 Post(s)
Liked: 5686
Quote:
If the CC is going to be on the floor and angled up, why not do the same with the FR/FL? To me, this would probably sound better than having such a large discrepancy in vertical space. Panning sounds that go from FR>CC>FL or FL>CC>FR wouldn't seem to move up>down>up.....
post #14 of 16 Old 07-12-2019, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Quote:
Why would I enjoy it more?
Well, it eliminates any concern you may have about location, angling, etc...Not to mention it will make your space sound more like an actual theater. It costs absolutely nothing as well.

Or you can insist on there HAVE to being more to it and listen to everyone else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Expert.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	2590148  
Skinfax1 likes this.

Main: Mitsubishi 73736|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|1-1000watt & 1-500watt DIY 12" Subs|2 Bass Shaker|APC H15 Power Conditioner|Harmony Hub|Sennheiser RS 160|SMSL B1 BT Rx|Linksys SE2500
MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTV3|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Dayton SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin PF30|Harmony 550
post #15 of 16 Old 07-23-2019, 05:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I have had to do a steep angle in the past on my center channel and generally found it to be just fine...it still looks like the voices are coming from their mouths as they should.

I also have found that when I experiment during movies by unplugging certain speakers to hear what's going on in the other channels, I am amazed both by what does, and what does NOT, come out of each one.

Phantom mode, assuming that means the voices are evenly split between the front RL speakers, is a very good option for people with excellent speakers that image well, and who don't have room or whatever for a center speaker.

Can't lose!

2-Channel Rig: Rogue Sphinx Integrated Amp, Energy RC-70 speakers, Energy ESW-C10 Sub, Sony BluRay/SACD, BlueSound Node 2i, Pro-Ject TT w/ Ortofon OM20 Cart

7.2 Home Theater: 3x Energy RC-LCR, Energy CB-20 (x4) surrounds, 2x Energy Power12 subs, Apple TV, PS4, Sony 7.2 AVR
post #16 of 16 Old 07-23-2019, 05:46 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel! View Post
Or you can insist on there HAVE to being more to it and listen to everyone else.

Man, do you suggest he doesn't receive best advice here?
Squirrel! likes this.

Good sound is always the result of engineering. And engineering always starts with measuring. Consumer industry and mainstream will never tell customers about that: improvements in room acoustics are worth roughly ten (10!) times the amount spent on equipment like speakers and receivers. For example: only $500 in room treatment is worth more than spending $5000 (fivethousand) on equipment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page