Power cord blind test - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 53Likes

post #31 of 64 Old 07-23-2019, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1075 Post(s)
Liked: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
Well that explains a lot ... I am on my own utility pole and transformer , underground from here to dual 200A circuit breaker boxes.

and get 124v consistently

When a squirrel decides to literally "fry itself" my power does go out, really, it's happened 7-8 times since I built in 2002.
You can see the breaker tripped here, utility guy comes out with his re-set pole and simply pushes that breaker back up and fixed, and we usually find the fried squirrel.

After same breaker is tripped 2-3 times then he replaces it.....
He tells me it's a common thing, I told him power company needs to re-design their circuit breaker to be squirrel proof ... guess there too much infrastructure already, and it's easy job security...

No three phase for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 64 Old 07-23-2019, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4920 Post(s)
Liked: 3635
Parts of our power distribution system can, and apparently frequently are [according to posts in this thread] compromised by common street rodents? What is this, 1930?

They can send a man to the moon but they can't figure out how to keep squirrels from causing blackouts?
post #33 of 64 Old 07-23-2019, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3436 Post(s)
Liked: 1910
all my power is underground by city...no telephone poles or stupid wires seen. only lost power twice in last 5 years.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 64 Old 07-23-2019, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2251 Post(s)
Liked: 2118
My city is underground, but we have ground squirrels.... so problem not solved. Stupid squirrels!

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #35 of 64 Old 07-23-2019, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
My city is underground, but we have ground squirrels.... so problem not solved. Stupid squirrels!

no poles, no squirrels...really...maybe a rabbit but they get smashed in roads.

post #36 of 64 Old 07-23-2019, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

when I bought my fv25hp sub from from rythmik I asked for custom power cord length....I got straight from that mega audi website parts plus or something...exactly the spec I needed...since then I have adjusted length of power cord which was originally 12ft requested....after much adjustment I use a 6ft cord now.

post #37 of 64 Old 07-23-2019, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
That's not a breaker. It's a fuse with explosive disconnect. Basically when the fuse blows, it sets off a bit of black powder that will shoot it off the connector. This ensures positive disconnection even in severe overload conditions (the fuse is sand filled, and it's not unusual for the sand to turn into glass - a heavy overload occurs, the fuse blows but the arc maintains the connection. The pyro charge is set off which aims to blow the fuse off the holder. Of course it doesn't fall to the ground but pivots away from the top contact.

It's why it sounds like a gun going off when it blows - because that's what's happening.
That's not how it is constructed or works.

A line dropout high voltage expulsion fuse cartridge contains a fusible element, a spring-loaded arc rod, and a deionizing compound. When the fusible element melts because of a fault condition, the spring-loaded arc rod is released and draws the arc, formed by the melting fuse element, up through a cylindrical shaped compressed, powdered, deionizing compound. The deionizing compund is hydrated boric acid.

The boric acid decomposes from the heat of the arc into water vapor (steam) and boric acid anhydride quenching the arc and breaking the circuit. The decomposition of the boric acid into steam results in a high pressure condition inside the fuse cartridge. The high pressure steam blows out the exhaust seal at the bottom of the fuse.

As the arc rod is propelled upward by the force of the spring, it exits through a seal at the top of the cartridge where it strikes the trigger at the top of the assembly. The trigger releases the ejector assembly which causes the fuse element to swing out 180 degrees to its dropout position. The circuit is now interrupted.

Westinghouse first started manufacturing fuses of this type back in the 1930's. Fuses of this type have been in continuous use in power distribution systems since they were first introduced.
GIEGAR likes this.

Last edited by sam_adams; 07-23-2019 at 03:36 PM.
post #38 of 64 Old 07-24-2019, 12:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 1496
Well I defer to others on my utility pole transformer and the squirrels and the what I called "breaker" - fuse, sharing what happened and when the utility serviceman came out and my casual conversations with him.

Yes - when power did go off there was a loud "boom", at least a few times I heard it but other times asleep or not around.

There were a few times he just swung it back up after a visual inspection, other times he did get a new one, I was not around every time for the service call.

Knock on wood, it's been about 2 years since we've lost power due to the "squirrel factor", maybe they evolved and learned ?
sidebar: My dogs go bonkers when they see squirrels, it's a hoot when I let them out and they chase them off our property... it's like the movie Up!, seriously.
>>The underground dogfence does work, were on 2.2 acres, they don't cross it, as posted here it also works indoors for me
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...erference.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_adams View Post
That's not how it is constructed or works.

A line dropout high voltage expulsion fuse cartridge contains a fusible element, a spring-loaded arc rod, and a deionizing compound. When the fusible element melts because of a fault condition, the spring-loaded arc rod is released and draws the arc, formed by the melting fuse element, up through a cylindrical shaped compressed, powdered, deionizing compound. The deionizing compund is hydrated boric acid.

The boric acid decomposes from the heat of the arc into water vapor (steam) and boric acid anhydride quenching the arc and breaking the circuit. The decomposition of the boric acid into steam results in a high pressure condition inside the fuse cartridge. The high pressure steam blows out the exhaust seal at the bottom of the fuse.

As the arc rod is propelled upward by the force of the spring, it exits through a seal at the top of the cartridge where it strikes the trigger at the top of the assembly. The trigger releases the ejector assembly which causes the fuse element to swing out 180 degrees to its dropout position. The circuit is now interrupted.

Westinghouse first started manufacturing fuses of this type back in the 1930's. Fuses of this type have been in continuous use in power distribution systems since they were first introduced.
Quote:
That's not a breaker. It's a fuse with explosive disconnect. Basically when the fuse blows, it sets off a bit of black powder that will shoot it off the connector. This ensures positive disconnection even in severe overload conditions (the fuse is sand filled, and it's not unusual for the sand to turn into glass - a heavy overload occurs, the fuse blows but the arc maintains the connection. The pyro charge is set off which aims to blow the fuse off the holder. Of course it doesn't fall to the ground but pivots away from the top contact.

It's why it sounds like a gun going off when it blows - because that's what's happening.

Breakers are dull looking grey boxes, often with a control panel closer to the ground. The control panel allows the lineman to open or close the breaker on the pole, but there is also a manual override on the breaker itself. You want these because they are known as re closers. Basically if the breaker trips, it will start a timer and after about a minute, it will reset itself. If it trips immediately then the breaker will stay off. If the fault clears (fried squirrel drops to the ground) then it will stay on. Re closers are why the power can go out, then briefly come on again before dying. It turns out a lot of faults simply clear themselves because the fried animal or branches or whatever stops shorting the lines and power can be turned on. Customers like it because it causes short outages rather than hours long ones, and utilities like it because it saves rolling a truck to investigate.

Last edited by mtbdudex; 07-24-2019 at 05:49 AM.
post #39 of 64 Old 07-24-2019, 12:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post
No three phase for you!
Yep - my home is single phase, here's my manual transfer switch for the 200A non GeoThermal service panel for generator supply.

Man you made me re-learn some about three-phase vs single-phase, I'm a ME not a EE.
Seems a safe bet 99.9% of home are "just" single-phase right?

https://www.elprocus.com/difference-...-power-supply/
Key Differences between Single Phase and Three Phase Supplies

The key differences between single phase and three phases include the following.
  • The definition of the single-phase power supply is, the power supplies through a single conductor
  • The definition of the three-phase power supply is, the power flows through three conductors.
  • The single-phase power supply has one distinct wave cycle whereas; three phase has three distinct wave cycles.
  • Single phase requires the single wire to connect the circuit whereas; 3-phase needs 3-wires.
  • The voltage of the single phase is 230V, whereas three phase voltage is 415V.
  • The phase name of the single phase is split phase, whereas three phase has no other name.
  • The capacity of power transfer in the single phase is minimum, whereas three phase has the maximum.
  • The connection of single phase is simple whereas in 3-phase is complicated.
  • The power failure happens in a single phase, but not occurs in three phase.
  • The loss in single phase is maximum whereas in three phase is minimum.
  • The single-phase efficiency is less whereas in three phase is high.
  • The single-phase is inexpensive whereas the 3-phase is expensive.
  • The single-phase AC power supply is utilized for home appliances and three phase power supply is used in huge industries to run heavy loads.
post #40 of 64 Old 07-25-2019, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Nearly 6 years ago - 12-11-2013 .. power cords should be a banned topic, and nothing fruitful comes from it
"AVS endorsing "worlds finest in AC power Cords""
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...wer-cords.html
post #41 of 64 Old 07-25-2019, 12:41 PM

You have probably overlooked a few dozen more threads on the same topic over the years after your thread was posted.
m. zillch likes this.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #42 of 64 Old 07-25-2019, 01:14 PM

Billion dollar industries always manage to keep their head above water no matter what. [Not to imply every single vendor is a snake oil merchant but many, perhaps in terms of most profitable retail dollars earned, even the majority, are, IMHO].
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...olesale-sales/

Last edited by m. zillch; 07-25-2019 at 01:20 PM.
post #43 of 64 Old 07-26-2019, 05:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
Nearly 6 years ago - 12-11-2013 .. power cords should be a banned topic, and nothing fruitful comes from it
"AVS endorsing "worlds finest in AC power Cords""
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...wer-cords.html
The JPS Aluminata is among the best interconnects and power cords out there. I never tried the speaker wire version. It beat just about all other base and high end wire that I personally have compared them against. It’s a great wire to compare to “in the box” included PC wire and base XLR wire to determine if you hear a difference... because the disparity is very obvious.
audiofan1 likes this.

Last edited by G-Rex; 07-26-2019 at 05:29 AM.
post #44 of 64 Old 07-26-2019, 07:14 AM

At those prices... they should improve the sound of anything. *if you believe in unicorns
m. zillch and Out-Of-Phase like this.

post #45 of 64 Old 08-04-2019, 12:26 AM

Quote:
I'm skeptical purely because they expect the differences to survive YouTube audio encoding (at best, 128kbps AAC)
Trust me, advertising, flim flam, deception, and the power of persuasion* all easily survive Youtube audio encoding.
---

This con has existed since the dawn of the audio industry:

“People will hear what you tell them to hear” - Thomas Edison

*Not to imply his persuasion is necessarily rooted in malfeasance: he may very well believe in his mind everything he says.

Last edited by m. zillch; 08-04-2019 at 12:41 AM.
post #46 of 64 Old 08-04-2019, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Believe in high end cables or not... an interesting read:

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussio...of-electricity

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...gh-end-cables/

Last edited by G-Rex; 08-04-2019 at 07:04 AM.
post #47 of 64 Old 08-04-2019, 10:16 AM

Not
m. zillch likes this.

post #48 of 64 Old 08-16-2019, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 845 Post(s)
Liked: 431
I enjoy my nice power cords from audio art cable. To each their own I guess.
audiofan1 likes this.
post #49 of 64 Old 08-17-2019, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 246
emcdade, how specifically does the 'Deep Cryogenic Treatment' contribute to the overall sonic characteristics of the product?
post #50 of 64 Old 08-17-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-Of-Phase View Post
emcdade, how specifically does the 'Deep Cryogenic Treatment' contribute to the overall sonic characteristics of the product?
Why bother asking?

Barney? Could you not poke the body with a stick, please?

post #51 of 64 Old 08-17-2019, 09:25 AM

^^^ Well, I think the answer could be interesting.
m. zillch likes this.
post #52 of 64 Old 08-17-2019, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcdade View Post
I enjoy my nice power cords from audio art cable. To each their own I guess.
Emcdade, don’t get sucked in to the usual suspects. They want to strike up a conversation to collect some reciprocal “likes” with insults. Really, you guys should give each other Gold stars instead. ⭐️ You could at least wear those proudly on your foreheads throughout the day. Must be very rewarding.
Ratman and emcdade like this.
post #53 of 64 Old 08-17-2019, 01:04 PM

^^^ Another audio art cable customer.
Ratman likes this.
post #54 of 64 Old 08-17-2019, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Liked: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
Billion dollar industries always manage to keep their head above water no matter what. [Not to imply every single vendor is a snake oil merchant but many, perhaps in terms of most profitable retail dollars earned, even the majority, are, IMHO].
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...olesale-sales/

Do you get a commission from Statista? It is well known that Statista allows few accesses, zero for me in this case, without demanding a fair amount of coin for their services. Links to sites that are free or offer a reasonable number of accesses per month, would be better than links to these pay sites.
post #55 of 64 Old 08-17-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguyca View Post
Do you get a commission from Statista?
Nope. Sorry, I should have been clearer that there's no reason to pay anything and open the detailed page. All you need is to see the title of the chart to get my whole point and that shows up for free:

"Sales of audio and video accessories to retail dealers in the United States from 2012 to 2018 (in million U.S. dollars)"

and on the side of the page:

"In 2018, audio and video accessories wholesale sales in the United States were estimated to amount to 1.79 billion U.S. dollars. "
post #56 of 64 Old 08-19-2019, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-Of-Phase View Post
Well it does void the 'UL' listing of any AC power product.

Kevin
post #57 of 64 Old 08-19-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post
Well it does void the 'UL' listing of any AC power product.
It does? Where'd you hear that?
post #58 of 64 Old 08-19-2019, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
It does? Where'd you hear that?
AC power products have a storage temperature range. Typical low temperature limit is often about -60 degrees. Cool an item below the limit temperature and it loses it's 'UL' listing and very well may damage the unit.

Kevin
post #59 of 64 Old 08-19-2019, 01:20 PM

Where'd ya hear that? [link, please] Also we are talking about AC wires, not components.
post #60 of 64 Old 08-19-2019, 01:36 PM

Do these companies that claim to cryo freeze their AC power cords have images or better yet videos of it being done or are we forced to take it on faith?
---

"These cables have been flown by NASA to the outer atmosphere to receive gamma ray radiation treatment for recrystallized phase coherency and are then gently parachuted back down to our factory where we carefully package them and send them to you!" [not a real quote]

Last edited by m. zillch; 08-20-2019 at 12:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page