HTPC Loses Audio After Source Switch - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-20-2019, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question HTPC Loses Audio After Source Switch

Here is what is happening:
1. I have a HTPC hooked up to my AV Receiver via HDMI. PCM sound comes out fine.
2. I switch the AV Receiver to play sound and video from my cable DVR. No problem.
3. I switch the AV Receiver back to the HTPC and there is no sound. Receiver doesn't say PCM - rather it says Stereo.
4. Note: I can get sound from the receiver using Zone 2 - so sound is getting to the receiver from the HTPC.

This used to work, so I am not sure what changed. I am using an Nvidia video card in my HTPC hooked to a Pioneer SC-1522-K via HDMI. I wonder if the HDMI is not getting initialized properly? Windows and drivers are fully updated to the latest versions.

Any help or clues would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

blinker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-03-2019, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

??

Would anyone like to help me out with a reply here?

Thanks!

blinker
post #3 of 7 Old 08-03-2019, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 83
It sounds like a HDMI handshake issue or something, i dont know that much about it but it could be that the htpc and reciever have some communication problems when switching inputs. Maybe the htpc (or reciever) doesnt reinitialize the connection properly. I assume everything works when htpc and/or the reciever have been off and are turned on again?(while source is the htpc hdmi input)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-03-2019, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 4820 Post(s)
Liked: 3098
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinker View Post
Here is what is happening:
1. I have a HTPC hooked up to my AV Receiver via HDMI. PCM sound comes out fine.
2. I switch the AV Receiver to play sound and video from my cable DVR. No problem.
3. I switch the AV Receiver back to the HTPC and there is no sound. Receiver doesn't say PCM - rather it says Stereo.
4. Note: I can get sound from the receiver using Zone 2 - so sound is getting to the receiver from the HTPC.

This used to work, so I am not sure what changed. I am using an Nvidia video card in my HTPC hooked to a Pioneer SC-1522-K via HDMI. I wonder if the HDMI is not getting initialized properly? Windows and drivers are fully updated to the latest versions.

Any help or clues would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

blinker
So what I suspect is happening is this. When you switch HDMI sources, the PC detects a change in HDMI and the capabilities of the system change. The output source no longer is an audio capable device. If you have another audio device then the default audio changes to that.

I'd try this. Go into your audio devices (start, run, mmsys.cpl). What audio devices are listed? Make sure you force the HDMI device to be default device then actually disable the others. This at least prevents switch over. Test and see if that solves it.

If not, after switching away from the PC then back and having no sound, go into mmsys.cpl and reconfigure your audio device and see if you can get sound via the test in that.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-03-2019, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
So what I suspect is happening is this. When you switch HDMI sources, the PC detects a change in HDMI and the capabilities of the system change. The output source no longer is an audio capable device. If you have another audio device then the default audio changes to that.

I'd try this. Go into your audio devices (start, run, mmsys.cpl). What audio devices are listed? Make sure you force the HDMI device to be default device then actually disable the others. This at least prevents switch over. Test and see if that solves it.

If not, after switching away from the PC then back and having no sound, go into mmsys.cpl and reconfigure your audio device and see if you can get sound via the test in that.
markmon1 - Dude, I thought you were on to something. I did check and I did have three other devices (nothing plugged into them) that were enabled. I disabled them, rebooted, and proceeded to play some music. I then switched to cable TV with sound, then I switched back to HTPC and nothing. The PC is still playing sound, it is just not going through my receiver - however, remember from my earlier notes, I am able to listen to sound through Zone 2 of the receiver. To me, THAT'S weird.

Rebooting the PC fixes it until I switch inputs again - I haven't figured out any other way to reinitialize the HDMI to get it working again.

Way open for more suggestions. Could it be the HDMI cable? Or my receiver?

Thanks!

blinker
post #6 of 7 Old 08-03-2019, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 4820 Post(s)
Liked: 3098
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinker View Post
markmon1 - Dude, I thought you were on to something. I did check and I did have three other devices (nothing plugged into them) that were enabled. I disabled them, rebooted, and proceeded to play some music. I then switched to cable TV with sound, then I switched back to HTPC and nothing. The PC is still playing sound, it is just not going through my receiver - however, remember from my earlier notes, I am able to listen to sound through Zone 2 of the receiver. To me, THAT'S weird.

Rebooting the PC fixes it until I switch inputs again - I haven't figured out any other way to reinitialize the HDMI to get it working again.

Way open for more suggestions. Could it be the HDMI cable? Or my receiver?

Thanks!

blinker
No I think it's all in the way HDMI works. When switching sources, windows is told there's no HDMI audio device any longer.

So reproduce the problem, then load mmsys.cpl again and right click your HDMI device and select "disable". Wait a few seconds and right click and click "Enable". Restart your audio player after. Do you have sound after this?

Also, this is likely in the way the nvidia driver is handling the change events. What driver version are you running on what nvidia card? I have a 1080TI still running 390.65.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-04-2019, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
No I think it's all in the way HDMI works. When switching sources, windows is told there's no HDMI audio device any longer.

So reproduce the problem, then load mmsys.cpl again and right click your HDMI device and select "disable". Wait a few seconds and right click and click "Enable". Restart your audio player after. Do you have sound after this?

Also, this is likely in the way the nvidia driver is handling the change events. What driver version are you running on what nvidia card? I have a 1080TI still running 390.65.
I have an Nvidia GeForce GTX 660. My driver version is 431.60 (07/23/2019).

I tried disabling my main sound device (so all sound devices were disabled), waited a few seconds, and then re-enable the main sound device. No sound. I have also tried logging off and back on again with no luck.

I did find one simple work-around - unplug the HDMI from the computer and plug it back in. Much quicker than a reboot.

But for the life of me, I have no idea what has changed here - except drivers. I've had this problem for a few months now.

blinker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
hdmi audio , htpc , Pioneer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page