• 1 Post By CharlesJ
  • 1 Post By Ratman

post #1 of 18 Old 07-23-2019, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Equal length speaker wire?

I am about to open up my sheetrock and replace the tiny gauge speaker wire that our builder had installed, and have a question regarding cable length.

I realize that most receivers and pre-amps room correct, but with that software fix removed from the equation does speaker wire length need to be equal between a pair of speakers? As an example, my a/v gear is on the left side of my room. As such, I can go from the amp to the left mid-field surround with a 6’ run. But its mirror image speaker in the right side of the room would need 40’ or so. Would having two different length runs effect anything that could be heard by the ear only? Or do the electrons move so fast I’d need miles of cable before introducing issues (other than extra resistance 😉 )?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-23-2019, 04:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 201
It should not make a discernible difference to your ears or your electronics. Just make sure you are using speaker wire rated for in-wall use. It usually has a protective jacket around the wire to help prevent fire hazards.
wilbur_the_goose likes this.

Sharp LC-80LE844U | Marantz BD8002 | Marantz AV8003 | Marsh Sound Design A400s (FL/FR) | Marantz MM7055 (C/SL/SR) | Phase Tech PC 9.1 (FL/FR) | Phase Tech PC 3.1 (C/SL/SR) | Dual PSA S1811 Subs
post #3 of 18 Old 07-23-2019, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter

Yup, it is cl-2 rated.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 07-23-2019, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked: 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexmasterPEB View Post
Would having two different length runs effect anything that could be heard by the ear only? Or do the electrons move so fast I’d need miles of cable before introducing issues (other than extra resistance 😉 )?

Thanks
The speed of electrons through wire is, at it's slowest around 7/10ths the speed of light. The speed of light is around 186,000 miles per second or 300,000 kilometers per hour so at worst, the electricity will move at around 125,000 miles per second through wires. . IF you could hear the delay of 0.1 mS or 1/10,000ths of a second... that would mean you should keep the length difference less than 12.5 miles. Generally speaking, humans don't have a problem with 1mS delays so you can stretch that to 125 miles if you like.

It would be hard to do a listening test though--the speed of sound is 690 miles per hour so a fraction of an inch difference between your speakers and ear drums would require a highly sophisticated measuring system and putting your head in a vice.

Back to reality, no--it won't make a difference as far as electron delay goes. What would make more of a difference is the voltage drop across 40 feet of wire VS the shorter cable. Use the proper wire guage to eliminate that problem and you'll be fine.

Good question though, I've seen people have 25 feet of speaker cable wrapped in a coil to make the cables "even". Tightly wrapping speaker wire in a coil creates additional issues that would impact the sound than the speed of electrons but I can't blame people to try. For the record, generally it is not a good idea to go past 50 or 60 feet with speaker cable so no worries about different lengths. Generally speaking, shorter is better be it speaker cables, power cords or interconnects--no need to keep them all the same length.
post #5 of 18 Old 07-23-2019, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Hurts View Post
Quote:
Would having two different length runs effect anything that could be heard by the ear only? Or do the electrons move so fast I’️d need miles of cable before introducing issues (other than extra resistance 😉 )?

Thanks
The speed of electrons through wire is, at it's slowest around 7/10ths the speed of light. The speed of light is around 186,000 miles per second or 300,000 kilometers per hour so at worst, the electricity will move at around 125,000 miles per second through wires. . IF you could hear the delay of 0.1 mS or 1/10,000ths of a second... that would mean you should keep the length difference less than 12.5 miles. Generally speaking, humans don't have a problem with 1mS delays so you can stretch that to 125 miles if you like.

It would be hard to do a listening test though--the speed of sound is 690 miles per hour so a fraction of an inch difference between your speakers and ear drums would require a highly sophisticated measuring system and putting your head in a vice.

Back to reality, no--it won't make a difference as far as electron delay goes. What would make more of a difference is the voltage drop across 40 feet of wire VS the shorter cable. Use the proper wire guage to eliminate that problem and you'll be fine.

Good question though, I've seen people have 25 feet of speaker cable wrapped in a coil to make the cables "even". Tightly wrapping speaker wire in a coil creates additional issues that would impact the sound than the speed of electrons but I can't blame people to try. For the record, generally it is not a good idea to go past 50 or 60 feet with speaker cable so no worries about different lengths. Generally speaking, shorter is better be it speaker cables, power cords or interconnects--no need to keep them all the same length. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Best. Reply. Ever. Thanks for the info and the laugh!

Also, 186,000miles/sec is not equal to 300,00km/hr. Slacker! 😉
spyboy and 18Hurts like this.
post #6 of 18 Old 07-23-2019, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Guilty!

It is something like 299,000 miles and change. However, you noticed I said "around 186,000 miles or 300,000 KM" That legally makes my statement vague
and covers the slight variances in rough math equations. I then made a rough guessimate of the speed of light VS the speed of electrons through copper
wire which further added poop to the punch bowl.

Even with the slop in my math, you are golden so enjoy your build.
post #7 of 18 Old 07-23-2019, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Guilty!

It is something like 299,000 miles and change. However, you noticed I said "around 186,000 miles or 300,000 KM" That legally makes my statement vague
and covers the slight variances in rough math equations. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG] I then made a rough guessimate of the speed of light VS the speed of electrons through copper
wire which further added poop to the punch bowl.

Even with the slop in my math, you are golden so enjoy your build. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
186,000 miles/sec = 1,077,614,062 km/hr. Your time unit changed between US and metric. That’s all I was sayin! 😉

Build will begin soon. Thanks!
18Hurts and liffie420 like this.
post #8 of 18 Old 07-23-2019, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 3592 Post(s)
Liked: 2027
all this science....if I have my speakers 1/10 of an inch off measured by laser, I can hear the difference. easiest way to hear is by imaging location of instruments/voice. is it still accurate...sure I guess, but its easy to hear when speakers arent setup correctly. now with speaker cable length, I use same length as thats what was sold to me as a pair for L/R....but my center and surrounds all have different lengths/custom. what sucks is if you move and those custom lengths dont work in new place.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #9 of 18 Old 07-23-2019, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2522 Post(s)
Liked: 2154
Is it possible he said all that with a straight face?

Michael
18Hurts and Ted99 like this.

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...l#post22789786
post #10 of 18 Old 07-23-2019, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked: 2214
😉

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #11 of 18 Old 07-24-2019, 08:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1100 Post(s)
Liked: 928
Quote:

Good question though, I've seen people have 25 feet of speaker cable wrapped in a coil to make the cables "even". Tightly wrapping speaker wire in a coil creates additional issues that would impact the sound than the speed of electrons but I can't blame people to try. For the record, generally it is not a good idea to go past 50 or 60 feet with speaker cable so no worries about different lengths. Generally speaking, shorter is better be it speaker cables, power cords or interconnects--no need to keep them all the same length.
Quote:
Best. Reply. Ever. Thanks for the info and the laugh!

The net speed of electrons n a wire for an AC signal is zero. For DC the speed very low. See Electric drift the Wikipedia article below or do your own search on the subject:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_electricity

The speed of sound is about 767 miles per hour. See the Wikipedia article below or do your own search:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_sound

The additional issues are caused by the inductance of the wire, which is greatly increased in a coil of wire.
18Hurts, CharlesJ and FargateOne like this.
post #12 of 18 Old 07-25-2019, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguyca View Post
h
The speed of sound is about 767 miles per hour. See the Wikipedia article below or do your own search:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_sound

The additional issues are caused by the inductance of the wire, which is greatly increased in a coil of wire.
Thanks for the clarification,

I pondered where the 690 MPH number came from, read the information and now I remember. I took a course in aviation and the 690 MPH number came from calculating the mach speed of jets as sound slows down at high altitude and very cold temps. That makes sense, I don't think people will be listening to their systems at 40,000 feet up in brutally cold temps. 767 MPH at 59F at sea level, good to know...thanks!

I'm sure Nordost and Audioquest is pondering producing "altitude adjusted cables" the "LA" version for low alttitude and the "Denver" version for higher altitude cables. For an extra charge (of course) they can custom build them to match your altitude. Coming soon!
post #13 of 18 Old 07-25-2019, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 1534
Quote:

Yep - way back in 2007 while I was a newbie, and "trusted" those with x,xxx's posts, someone named "IrritateGuy" and "COF" or similar grumpy name on the Sound and Vision HT forum advised me speaker wire for long runs needed to be within 10% so the resistance/impedance was close enough for the amp to see similar load...
https://web.archive.org/web/20080208...rd?board.id=57

I bought that hook/line/and sinker!

My7.1 layout back in 2007

the AV closet is front RH side, so the left side and left rear surrounds were much longer runs than their right counterparts ...
Hence I did this ...
Now, I made the loops random to mitigate EMC reception as much as possible

In then end ... I wasted $$'s ... live and learned ....
18Hurts and Mashie Saldana like this.

Last edited by mtbdudex; 07-25-2019 at 11:13 AM.
post #14 of 18 Old 07-25-2019, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
Thanks for the clarification,

But, you are correct about the Velocity of propagation.
https://www.scte.org/TechnicalColumn...ropagation.pdf
m. zillch likes this.
post #15 of 18 Old 07-25-2019, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1100 Post(s)
Liked: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesJ View Post
But, you are correct about the Velocity of propagation.

https://www.scte.org/TechnicalColumn...ropagation.pdf

The link you have posted describes velocity of propagation. The original post described the velocity of electrons, which is a very different quantity.
post #16 of 18 Old 07-26-2019, 05:42 AM

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2522 Post(s)
Liked: 2154
I've seen the velocity of my propagation decrease dramatically over the years. I wonder if electrons experience the same phenomenon.
Maybe I need shorter wires. Size DOES matter.
Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...l#post22789786
post #17 of 18 Old 07-26-2019, 07:06 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked: 2214
18Hurts likes this.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #18 of 18 Old 07-27-2019, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguyca View Post
The link you have posted describes velocity of propagation. The original post described the velocity of electrons, which is a very different quantity.
Yes, I know, thanks. Added info, that the propagation velocity is near light speed. I'd consider 0.7 near enough.
Now he knows both.

Last edited by CharlesJ; 07-27-2019 at 11:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page