Dedicated 2 channel room questions - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Locoliberty
  • 1 Post By JimMeader

post #1 of 3 Old 07-30-2019, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dedicated 2 channel room questions

Im toying with the idea of putting together a system for dedicated music listening.

The room has two large doorways into it, is this a huge liability for sound quality? I do plan to carpet the room and add treatments to the walls and ceilings.

Ive google searched dedicated room. Some ppl seem to have cabinetry made to store vinyl and CDs. Are there any companies that make a product specific to this purpose? Im looking for something above the IKEA level, budget isn't my biggest concern.

There isn't a huge difference in length and width of the room, is it necessary for the speakers to fire down the long axis of the room?

There seems to be a huge number of companies producing acoustic panels. Is there any consensus on who the better companies are?

Any general notes or wisdom from those who have done this before is gratefully received.

By Grabthar's hammer.......... What a savings.

Last edited by luvthefloyd; 07-30-2019 at 01:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-31-2019, 05:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Personally, im no expert, I would rather setup down the long axis of the room.

Do the doorways have doors? is yes, then they arent a big deal if they are open it will affect things.

For acoustic panels GIK seem to be very popular for panels, there are plenty of other brands but I see the most GIK panels on store walls and in setups here.
luvthefloyd likes this.

System: Cambridge 851A, Revel M126be, SVS SB2000, Cambridge DACMAGIC 100, JVC XL-Z1050TN, Rega RP6, Vincent PHO-8. A bunch of monster power conditioning junk V: Samsung NU8000, Nvidia Shield TV
hipped
post #3 of 3 Old 08-02-2019, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthefloyd View Post
Im toying with the idea of putting together a system for dedicated music listening.

The room has two large doorways into it, is this a huge liability for sound quality? I do plan to carpet the room and add treatments to the walls and ceilings.

Ive google searched dedicated room. Some ppl seem to have cabinetry made to store vinyl and CDs. Are there any companies that make a product specific to this purpose? Im looking for something above the IKEA level, budget isn't my biggest concern.

There isn't a huge difference in length and width of the room, is it necessary for the speakers to fire down the long axis of the room?

There seems to be a huge number of companies producing acoustic panels. Is there any consensus on who the better companies are?

Any general notes or wisdom from those who have done this before is gratefully received.
Something to try is get a 4X8 sheet of sheetrock, cut it in half and prop it up along both sides of your long wall. To start try about 2/3rds down the long wall.

Now listen to your system and move your speakers around. While odd, it made a big difference for me. If it makes no difference your out the price of the sheetrock, but if it does make a difference it is a cheap way to find out.

BTW I also have French Doors in my listening room so a big opening and the doors have glass panels, all sub optimal but wife approved.

Take the time to deal with your room, while time consumer it does make a major difference.

Good Luck
luvthefloyd likes this.

Jim Meader
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page