New construction - 2 vendor "setups" - thoughts/feedback? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By giomania

post #1 of 8 Old 07-30-2019, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New construction - 2 vendor "setups" - thoughts/feedback?

Hi folks,

Occasional lurker, amateur diy-er, looking for expert advice and honest feedback regarding my next project. Scouring the internet has raised more questions than answers. It doesn't help that there is no good retail review/rating system out there where I can pit some of these components against each other.

Background
New construction (blown-in insulation), large backyard with a shop out back (relevant for network at least)
I met with 3 vendors and narrowed it down to 2.
I've asked for:
- decent HT system in the great room (vaulted ceiling)
- multi-zone audio throughout first floor (kitchen, dining, office, breakfast nook, great room) & outside with some bass (patio, backyard)
- some surveillance
- de-cluter and remotely access (rack)
- good network throughout house/yard/shop

I'd like your feedback on the 2 proposed setups from the 2 vendors, and perhaps in the process you can answer some of my questions:
Q1: vendor 2 is running speaker wire all the way back to the rack, while vendor 1 is going with sonos amps - thoughts?
Q2: vendor 1 claims an Atmos setup, vendor 2 says not really possible and atmos gets thrown around as marketing - thoughts?
Q3: Focal vs B&W... I got to hear the B&Ws and liked them, Focals weren't readily available to demo however Vendor 2 says the ones spec-ed are better than 600s, somewhere between 600s-700s - I know this is highly personal but perhaps someone has some thoughts on this?
Q4: MusicCast? Yay or Nay?

Thanks in advance for taking a look at this and letting me know your opinions.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vendor comp.png
Views:	18
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	2596674  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-31-2019, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

Did I post this in the wrong sub-forum?
post #3 of 8 Old 07-31-2019, 02:28 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Vendor 2 should be removed from the competition because they are wrong about Atmos. Done correctly, it is fabulous, not marketing.

Your funds will go much further if you purchase your own electronics, like JTR speakers, for example. You said you are an amateur DIY’er, so embrace that, and just hire a vendor to wire the place.

That said, if you are looking for a turn-key solution, then you are stuck with what they sell.

My $.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
18Hurts and SouthernCA like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-31-2019, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post
Vendor 2 should be removed from the competition because they are wrong about Atmos. Done correctly, it is fabulous, not marketing.

Your funds will go much further if you purchase your own electronics, like JTR speakers, for example. You said you are an amateur DIY’er, so embrace that, and just hire a vendor to wire the place.

That said, if you are looking for a turn-key solution, then you are stuck with what they sell.

My $.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks for your thoughts! I considered going the DIY route but honestly, this project is way too big and time-consuming for me to research and get right - I'm accepting my limitations and definitely do not want to complicate this more than necessary, particularly placement of things, purchase of material, buying the right tools, and getting in the way of the contractor and construction schedule. I have to go with a 2-3 day pro install that gets built into the project plan.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-31-2019, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4mt3k View Post
Hi folks,

Occasional lurker, amateur diy-er, looking for expert advice and honest feedback regarding my next project. Scouring the internet has raised more questions than answers. It doesn't help that there is no good retail review/rating system out there where I can pit some of these components against each other.

Background

New construction (blown-in insulation), large backyard with a shop out back (relevant for network at least)

I met with 3 vendors and narrowed it down to 2.

I've asked for:

- decent HT system in the great room (vaulted ceiling)

- multi-zone audio throughout first floor (kitchen, dining, office, breakfast nook, great room) & outside with some bass (patio, backyard)

- some surveillance

- de-cluter and remotely access (rack)

- good network throughout house/yard/shop

I'd like your feedback on the 2 proposed setups from the 2 vendors, and perhaps in the process you can answer some of my questions:

Q1: vendor 2 is running speaker wire all the way back to the rack, while vendor 1 is going with sonos amps - thoughts?

Q2: vendor 1 claims an Atmos setup, vendor 2 says not really possible and atmos gets thrown around as marketing - thoughts?

Q3: Focal vs B&W... I got to hear the B&Ws and liked them, Focals weren't readily available to demo however Vendor 2 says the ones spec-ed are better than 600s, somewhere between 600s-700s - I know this is highly personal but perhaps someone has some thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance for taking a look at this and letting me know your opinions.

A few suggestions:

1. HT room with vaulted ceilings will have a lot of echo and reverberations. So make sure your vendor does some sound treatment . Google to find companies that sell those material and have your vendor select and install. Or choose another room for HT.

2. Atmos is not a marketing gimmick. But we still have limited content that has height info in them.

3. Make sure speaker wires used are with required gauge. 14 gauge for short runs and 12 gauge for long runs.

4. AVR chosen must have some type of room correction, preferably Audyssey xt32 or Dirac, or Anthem.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-01-2019, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCA View Post
A few suggestions:

1. HT room with vaulted ceilings will have a lot of echo and reverberations. So make sure your vendor does some sound treatment . Google to find companies that sell those material and have your vendor select and install. Or choose another room for HT.
good call, I will start researching

Quote:
2. Atmos is not a marketing gimmick. But we still have limited content that has height info in them.
I think what he meant was that it's achievable with very specific geometry and a purpose designed room but that to say it'll happen in an open concept area with vaulted ceiling is not possible... I mean - I kinda get it?

Quote:
3. Make sure speaker wires used are with required gauge. 14 gauge for short runs and 12 gauge for long runs.
I'll keep an eye out for this

Quote:
4. AVR chosen must have some type of room correction, preferably Audyssey xt32 or Dirac, or Anthem.
Thanks - will do some research here as well
post #7 of 8 Old 08-01-2019, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4mt3k View Post
I'll keep an eye out for this
Just specify it in the contract then it is his liability if he doesn't use it.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-05-2019, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Bumping this... The thing I'm having most difficulty finding out about is the sonos vs musiccast ecosystem, usability, known limitations.... any comments on the questions from my op?

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page