1Likes
  • 1 Post By Leeliemix

post #1 of 6 Old 07-31-2019, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Setup Input Question

Hey everyone. Noobie setup question related to inputs. I am trying to decide between some amps and in this process I am trying to understand what inputs are required for my needs, which are:

Turntable: Phono connection (no further info needed)
Playstation 4: ?
TV: ?
Chromecast Audio: ?
CD: CD input

The amps I am looking at has 6 Analog inputs, 1 optical digital and 1 coaxial digital. (Yamaha A S 501 https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022AS5...k.html?tp=4353)

I read chromecast has 3 options to connect (3.5mm stereo cable, 3.5mm to RCA cable, TOSLINK optical cable). So optical would be an option, but I dont want to use the limited optical digital on this. Would one of the analog inputs work for the chromecast (not sure if rca cable can go in one of the analogs).
Also for the TV and PS4, would only the optical digital be able to be utilized, or does the coaxial also support this?
Basically I want to understand how I can use the 1 coaxial and 6 analog inputs.

Would appreciate any input. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-31-2019, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 83
What speakers/sub are you using with this. Will tv/movies/games be used a lot?

A reciever with more inputs and HDMI in particular would probably be a good idea unless its overwhelmingly or almost exclusively 2 channel music use.

Analogue from chromecast is pretty garbage, more of less need optical on that if its to sound good. From CD its usually best to go optical or coax also (or HDMI if its a dvd/bluray player)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
starblazer likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-31-2019, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Apologies forgot to mention about the speakers.
I will be using Dynaudio Emit M10 Passive Bookshelf speakers.

I plan a 2.0 system. I do not plan to extend to 5.1 or 7.1 in the near future. Movies/games are a secondary concern, but would like to hook them up to the speakers anyhow when I am watching movies and PS4.

I am also considering the receiver option, but do not want to lose music quality from that. And since the main aim will be music, was focusing on Amps more. A receiver I had also considered was Yamaha R-N303BL.
Budget for this amp/receiver is 500.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-31-2019, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by starblazer View Post
Apologies forgot to mention about the speakers.
I will be using Dynaudio Emit M10 Passive Bookshelf speakers.

I plan a 2.0 system. I do not plan to extend to 5.1 or 7.1 in the near future. Movies/games are a secondary concern, but would like to hook them up to the speakers anyhow when I am watching movies and PS4.

I am also considering the receiver option, but do not want to lose music quality from that. And since the main aim will be music, was focusing on Amps more. A receiver I had also considered was Yamaha R-N303BL.
Budget for this amp/receiver is 500.
What is the TV? You can think about using some HDMI inputs and maybe it has optical, coax or analog output to come back to external sound. In this case you will use the TV to cycle through and decode the secondary concern devices, the high quality CD player could have coax or some analog output for direct ocnnection
post #5 of 6 Old 08-01-2019, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeliemix View Post
What speakers/sub are you using with this. Will tv/movies/games be used a lot?

Analogue from chromecast is pretty garbage, more of less need optical on that if its to sound good. From CD its usually best to go optical or coax also (or HDMI if its a dvd/bluray player)

Do you know if there a way to use chromecast audio through the available coaxial? Or would it need to be through the optical?
post #6 of 6 Old 08-01-2019, 05:01 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by starblazer View Post
Do you know if there a way to use chromecast audio through the available coaxial? Or would it need to be through the optical?

There might be some converters out there but probably not worth it, optical is the best from it. That said some of the newer 2ch integrated amps do have streaming capability, might be some with chromecast integrated, yamaha has music cast or something and some other brands use the heos streaming system. I dont know a lot about this class of gear bt probably are some who do on here also who can give better/more specific advice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page