Extending Bose Soundtouch 700 5.1 to 7.1.4 using a A/V receiver - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Leeliemix

post #1 of 4 Old 07-31-2019, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Extending Bose Soundtouch 700 5.1 to 7.1.4 using a A/V receiver

I have a bose soundtouch 700 5.1 sound system and I am looking at extending it to 7.2.4 system. I am thinking of getting an A/V receiver with Dolby Atmos, connect the receiver HDMI out to the bose HDMI in. Get extra speakers for the ceiling and the sides and connect them to the respective receiver speaker out channels. The idea is to have the soundbar decode for 5.1 and have the receiver for the rest of the channels. This sounds very unorthodox, but would like to know that if this setup would work? Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-06-2019, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1229 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
more thundering silence . ..

after watching portions of a video review of the product
predictably subjective - something like a Steve Gutenberg clone drone
also the phrase 'premium sound bar" -
yeah- maybe- maybe not-
but it's got a subwoofer too!
and ATMOS!!

but the marketing machine at Bose has been effective in the arena of consumer compromise . . . and diminished expectations- i.e.: seems good enuf
except when it comes to abusing the WAF factors . .

so buy a low end ATMOS AVR and BD that will play ATMOS
and hook up all that stuff yuo want , up

an issue here is that the REQ in the AVR that wants to give you a semblance of an as optimal ATMOS immersion as possible
might have issues with individual settings as far as the speakers in the sound bar are concerned
how much can each speaker be tweaked?
will you be able to put the sub where it plays best?
how you gonna test that?

adding a 2nd subwoofer- effectively- wrt improving bass response / smoothness in the room . . .
people have made careers out of that kind of stuff

If you set it up and can tweak it and and the Dolby ATMOS demo disks still aren't kicking it for you-

sell the sound bar
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8 pieces ATMOS Cloud20160613_162349[1].jpg
Views:	4
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	2599360   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160723_132512[1].jpg
Views:	4
Size:	2.05 MB
ID:	2599362  

DIY FAN Denon X4400 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS Sammy 82" 4K/HDR
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS V2, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x 6000DSP
post #3 of 4 Old 08-06-2019, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 83
It probably wont work for a few different reasons. One of them is that most AVRs often dont send the sound out through HDMI, some do/can but you will probably have big timing problems. Sounds wont come from the right place either because they will be duplicated in both the base and atmos layers. Timbre matching between the base layer and the atmos layer isnt very critical but bose have their own very different from neutal sound and will most likly be very different from the other speakers, it might work ok but impossible to say beforehand.
That said it might work and be ok but might be expensive to find out and there are many hurdles on the way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
asarose247 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 08-06-2019, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 2729 Post(s)
Liked: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anandbabu Rajaretnam View Post
I have a bose soundtouch 700 5.1 sound system and I am looking at extending it to 7.2.4 system. I am thinking of getting an A/V receiver with Dolby Atmos, connect the receiver HDMI out to the bose HDMI in. Get extra speakers for the ceiling and the sides and connect them to the respective receiver speaker out channels. The idea is to have the soundbar decode for 5.1 and have the receiver for the rest of the channels. This sounds very unorthodox, but would like to know that if this setup would work? Any help is appreciated.
Nope. Not going to work. Sell the Bose and use a receiver that can decode 11 channels (you can save a few bucks with 9 amplifiers on-board and a separate amp for 2 channels).

Too many timing issues having two processors. If you want Atmos, time to move on from the Bose world.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page