New house, new setup, How to configure for my new home? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-25-2019, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
New house, new setup, How to configure for my new home?

Hi everyone,

My family recently downsized to a smaller home. While our old house had a bonus room to support a theater setup, the new house is much smaller, so all the equipment that was once in the bonus room is now quietly sitting in a corner of our family room. With a new home and new, more lax requirements, I would like to hear thoughts on how we should setup what we have.

While I enjoyed 5.1 and 7.1 setups, I have not really been into getting those configurations working for quite a while. I find that most times (in our old house) that gaming and movies were watched in the family room an not theater/bonus room. I used Left, right and center, in a "all Stereo" audio output on the receiver. In the new house, I am feeling that I would like to go the same way or at least get some ideas of what I can setup with what I have. I am just not as picky as I used to be regarding audio stuff, mainly because we have a 5 year old that absorbs all excess monies. We mainly prioritizing room aesthetics over performance at this time in our lives. Our primary uses are 1. TV... 2. Kid Movies... 3. Gaming...

So Here is what I have to work with:
- 2019 Samsung Q80R 75" TV

- Onkyo TX-SR705 (Selling)
- Marantz NR1509 - to replace the Onkyo. We needed a slim receiver to fit in our new TV console table. Standard receivers are too tall to fit, and... aesthetics...

- Pair Polk Monitor 70's
- Pair Polk Monitor 40's
- Polk CS2 Center
- Sony Sub - SA-WX700 with a replacement amp as the original blew out

The new room is 12' deep by 16' wide. TV will we wall mounted, with the console table below. The room is wired for front and rear rear ceiling mounted surrounds and a sub near the wall. I am currently leaning towards a 2.1 or 3.1 setup. I do not have small rears to hang on the ceiling, and putting the Polk 40s would look silly. Some questions:

- One of the big questions I have is whether I use the center channel or not, or just go stereo? I would need to mount the TV a few inches higher to make sure it is optically out of the way so I would like to know before mounting the TV.

- With only 50W per channel on the SR1509, should I even use the 70's and stick with the 40's?
- Is there a ceiling rear speaker solution that would be worth while to go back to 5.1?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190825_224457.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	748.1 KB
ID:	2607198  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-25-2019, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 2853 Post(s)
Liked: 2620
First, be sure that there is plenty of air flow for that new receiver. If you have an open back and front, with about 2" of space above the receiver, you will probably be OK. Otherwise look into getting some sort of heat removal system, such as:

https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-F...SIN=B078PQJSRY

Use the 70s, as they are probably more efficient than the 40s. Yeah, it's counter-intuitive, but the larger speaker is typically the more efficient speaker. The Marantz has a true 50 watts, it's not marketing fantasy, as so many receivers advertise (100 watts! Yeah, right! ). It will be plenty of power as you are not sitting that far away, and with the kid, you won't be cranking it up to deafening levels, anyway.

Use the center channel if you have any folks sitting on the side couch. Having a center will maintain the sense that the sound is coming from the TV, even when seated off to the side.

If those rear surrounds are already wired and ready to go, no reason not to try them out and see if they add anything to the movie experience.

Lastly, that sub is the weak link in your system, so look into replacing it at some point in the future, when funds are not so tight.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 08-25-2019 at 09:04 PM.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-26-2019, 02:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 135
A 3.1 setup works very well and as RayGuy said make sure the reciever gets enough air or it wont last long.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 08-26-2019, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks for the great advice! I appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page