Are the two rear speakers with 7.1 source mono? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By Alan P
  • 1 Post By ChromeJob
  • 1 Post By Alan P
  • 1 Post By Alex F.

post #1 of 18 Old 08-29-2019, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Are the two rear speakers with 7.1 source mono?

Are the two rear speakers in a 7.1 system/speaker setup being fed a mono rear channel when a movie soundtrack is 7.1?

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-30-2019, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 6366 Post(s)
Liked: 5689
No. That would be if you were listening to a 6.1 mix.

That being said, there may be some movies that are mixed in 7.1 but have duplicate audio in both rear channels. Is there a specific reason why you asked?
Thebarnman and SeeMoreDigital like this.
post #3 of 18 Old 08-30-2019, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
No. That would be if you were listening to a 6.1 mix.

That being said, there may be some movies that are mixed in 7.1 but have duplicate audio in both rear channels. Is there a specific reason why you asked?
Thanks, I was starting to wonder. With something like 45 views with no answers made it seem to me that not too many people knew the answer. What you said makes perfect sense and I figured that might have been the case anyway. I forgot about 6.1 with the single speaker in the back. And yes I agree that there are probably some 7.1 mixes where the backs are mono, but hopefully not too many of those.

Without getting complicated with a long explanation as to specifically why I was asking; I wanted to keep the question simple. My system set up is 7.1, but when I play 5.1 sources, the two rears also play audio. When I first bought the receiver, it used to be when I played 5.1 audio, only the surround speakers in the rear reproduced audio...and the two back speakers (including the surrounds) reproduced audio when I was playing a 7.1 audio source. Then I had my system professionally calibrated...and now for some reason when I play 5.1 audio, the two back speakers also produce sound. I guess that wouldn't be too bad, but when I'm listening to something other than a movie such as any one of the 5.1 audio discs I have, (or a quad mix...) the two back speakers also create audio which I feel messes with the stereo imaging in the rear.

I've discovered if I set the back speakers to a setting like I only have one back speaker, 5.1 plays as 5.1, but with 7.1 sources...only one of the back speakers creates audio. When it's set in the receiver that I have two back speakers, they will always play even when I'm just trying to listen to a 5.1 audio source.

I'm not getting into the specifics about what receiver I have, nor do I want to ask questions about what setting to use etc. I've asked in the thread of the brand receiver I own, with an answer that would certainly work, but would require too many button pushes depending if I'm listening to either 5.1 or 7.1 audio sources. It should just work automatically regardless of what audio source I'm listening to 5.1 or 7.1. I've also reached out to the manufacture's technical help department and their first suggestion didn't help, but I've started a email case and I'll be checking to see if they come up with anything.

If all 7.1 sources were mono in the back, I could probably do a simple wire setup so that both back speakers played the same audio while my receiver was set as if I did in fact only have one back speaker. Again, when it's set as if I only have one back speaker...5.1 audio plays correctly with the surrounds reproducing audio while the back speakers are silent.

Thanks for your answer!

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 08-31-2019, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 88
@Thebarnman

You have a problem but you don't name the source format and the chosen upmixer/playback mode. Good luck solving your problems...

Good sound is always the result of engineering. And engineering always starts with measuring. Consumer industry and mainstream will never tell customers about that: improvements in room acoustics are worth roughly ten (10!) times the amount spent on equipment like speakers and receivers. For example: only $500 in room treatment is worth more than spending $5000 (fivethousand) on equipment.
post #5 of 18 Old 08-31-2019, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinfax1 View Post
@Thebarnman

You have a problem but you don't name the source format and the chosen upmixer/playback mode. Good luck solving your problems...
would that be the equivalent of like going to see the Doctor and telling him you want a cure for your sickness but refuse to tell him any symptoms you're having/ experiencing?
post #6 of 18 Old 08-31-2019, 07:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by the7mcs View Post
would that be the equivalent of like going to see the Doctor and telling him you want a cure for your sickness but refuse to tell him any symptoms you're having/ experiencing?
That's exactly right. It's the same problem I had with my kids while in the Neo-Natal Intensive Care Unit. Doctors have a hard time finding out what's wrong with your baby since, unlike an adult, they can't respond with verbal language.

While it's possible to eventually find out why your baby is feeling bad, sometimes it's impossible.

Humans are interactive for a reason. Like the other guy said, good luck with your quest, but flippant responses like that make others not care what you have to say, and are less likely to help.
post #7 of 18 Old 08-31-2019, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Well with these kind of responses, I'll go ahead and fill you in on the rest. My answer was not meant to be "flippant" or refusing to tell what the symptoms are" in case you didn't see, I already mentioned that in my 2nd post above, and the source does not matter since all 5.1 programs are 5.1 and all 7.1 programs are 7.1. The chosen up-mixer or playback mode does not matter either since I'm playing straight through 5.1 audio or 7.1 audio. I felt the question I had was answered correctly and there was no reason to go any further than what I was curious about. Also, regardless of playback mode; 5.1 should only reproduce 5.1 audio and 7.1 should reproduce 7.1 audio. If a up-mixer or playback mode does more or less than that, I can usually compensate by adjusting something on my system to get it how I want it to work...or not work. I wanted to spare you guys from what I usually do when I post since I usually create unnecessarily long messages when my question is usually something very simple.

Also, since this area is titled "Audio Theory, Setup and Chat," I wanted to keep the question short and simple since talking about particular brands or features usually leads one to say the obvious, "why not post in the owners thread" or "why not contact the manufacturer," or the one I like the best "why not look in the owners manual." I did all three of those and there was nothing in the manual or from any other thread for that matter that could prepare me for the answer I received directly from Yamaha. Mainly I came here to get a little bit of extra information. There's nothing wrong with my setup, and the only Audio Theory I wanted to ask about is if the back speakers are being fed a mono signal if the audio source is 7.1. Thanks to Alan P. I received the answer to the question I had.

As far as the rest of the story, I recently found out through Yamaha Support that my receiver the Yamaha RX-A3060 works as designed. Here's the response I just received...

"Thank you for contacting Yamaha Support. Unfortunately this receiver, when surround back is set to small x2, will always up mix the signal coming in to fit the number of speakers enabled. The work around, as you've found out, are to either set it to small x1 or set the surround back to none in configuration."

That's it guys. My receiver does not automatically play just 5.1 when the back speakers are set at small x2, but it does when it's set on small x1, but I don't listen to 6.1 audio sources. So my solution will be to set the back speakers to none when I want to listen to 5.1 audio, (or even quad) and then set the back speakers to small x2 when I want to listen to 7.1 audio.

Crazy isn't it guys? Yamaha at least on my receiver designed it so if there's only one back speaker for 6.1 audio, 5.1 plays as 5.1; but if there's two back speakers, the receiver will play 5.1 as 7.1; not good since listening to 5.1 or quad discs with two extra speakers playing messes with the rear imaging.

Now, since this area is called Audio Theory, Setup and Chat...I just asked Yamaha 2 other questions maybe you guys might already know something about. You're welcome to ring in if you'd like since I probably won't get a response from Yamaha till sometime on Monday. Here goes...

Thanks for your answer. I have two more questions...

1. Is it technically possible in the future there can be an update for the RX-A3060 so that small x2 works like small x1 where in that case there is no up mix to fit the number of speakers enabled? Maybe even add an option so the user can select if they want a up mix or not?

2. When you say "up mix," does that mean there's different information going to the back speakers (such as a matrixed back based on what's playing in the surrounds,) or are the back speakers playing the same as what's in the surrounds?

Thanks,

post #8 of 18 Old 09-01-2019, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2087 Post(s)
Liked: 1094
Are the two rear speakers with 7.1 source mono?

Number of “topic views” without an answer doesn’t mean people don’t know the answer. It means those folks who viewed don’t understand the problem, or don’t want to answer. I wouldn’t draw conclusions, particularly if your post is < a day or two old.

Whether the Surround Rear channel is mono or stereo depends upon the content. These days, I’m not even sure a lot of media will disclose that. It annoys me that the newer Yamaha AVRs (maybe all AVRs?) no longer support a 6.1 or single surround rear speaker setup. I don’t have a huge room, and don’t need two back there. I seems the manufacturers are now presuming that you either have a large enough room for two speakers in back, or don’t need any at all. I have some DVD-based 6.1 ES and EX content with distinct channel content for a single rear speaker, but I recall only noticing the difference a few times. Not enough to think I’m “missing” something without rears.

Back in the says of VHS-based Dolby Surround home video content, the surrounds were indeed “ambient” or background sounds, I remember being impressed by mixes that specifically put distinct sounds there (Japanese anime comes to mind), but those days are over. Contemporary content definitely puts distinct sounds in all channels when appropriate (and occasionally inappropriate; I can’t stand when music is played in four channels, a personal preference).
Thebarnman likes this.

"Exceedingly odd," said the butler.
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 09-01-2019 at 12:15 PM. Reason: singular or plural, it really matters in THIS thread
post #9 of 18 Old 09-03-2019, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
Number of “topic views” without an answer doesn’t mean people don’t know the answer. It means those folks who viewed don’t understand the problem, or don’t want to answer. I wouldn’t draw conclusions, particularly if your post is < a day or two old.
Your right about that. Though I did take that into consideration as to when someone might respond, I also figured (though I might be wrong about this) that this forum "Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat" probably does not have the kind of traffic like other threads that talk about the latest projectors, flat panel displays, and/or new speakers. Funny, I was starting to think all back content on 7.1 mixes was mono, but I totally forgot about 6.1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
It annoys me that the newer Yamaha AVRs (maybe all AVRs?) no longer support a 6.1 or single surround rear speaker setup.
I don't know what you mean by newer, but my Yamaha RX-A3060 which came out around 2016 is what I would think as newer...it does support 6.1 or a single rear speaker setup. When it's setup with the setting that there's only one back speaker, 5.1 will play as 5.1 and 6.1 will play as 6.1. In other words, 5.1 sources does not get up-mixed to 6.1.

And as you know (at least with my receiver) when it's selected that there's two back speakers, 5.1 gets up-mixed to 7.1. Currently the only way I can listen to 5.1 sources is to temperately change the setting like there's no back speakers. Then when I want to listen to 7.1 audio, I can then change the setting back to let it know I have two back speakers.

post #10 of 18 Old 09-03-2019, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

For those who may be reading this, I just found out through Yamaha technical support...

It turns out technically there can be a update that can make 5.1 audio sources play as 5.1 (even though the system is set up with two back speakers for 7.1 audio.) But in asking that, I discovered..."the feature you're requesting isn't something that most general users need or request I doubt they'll be a update released enabling that."

And at the same time I found out when 5.1 is upmixed to 7.1, the audio created for the back speakers is not the same as what's being played in the surround speakers. "the receiver is generating it's own audio signal from the source that it thinks should be routed to those (back) speakers."

I guess that's find and dandy for most people, but I also enjoy listening to high resolution multichannel albums remixed as DVD-A, SACD and BD-A. With the back speakers playing when there should only be surround speakers playing, it does mess with the rear imaging and also changes the quality (tone) of the audio signal.

So I think the best thing for me to do is I'm going to have to go into the receiver's menu and turn off the back speakers every time I want to listen to a true 5.1 audio source. That, or upgrade to a newer receiver that does not automatically up-mix 5.1 sources to 7.1. Currently I've asked Yamaha if they have a newer receiver that would be able to do just that.

post #11 of 18 Old 09-03-2019, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 899 Post(s)
Liked: 513
Instead of going into the Yamaha's menu, which can be annoying if done often, you could use the back-channel preamp outputs and connect them to an inexpensive power amp, integrated amp, or receiver (or one sitting in a closet, if available). If I correctly understand the Yamaha's 5.1 and 7.1 modes, then you need only power on and off the outboard unit as needed and keep the Yamaha permanently on 7.1 for music. Much less costly than buying another top-end AVR.

Edit: It occurred to me that you could use simply an outboard speaker switchbox to turn on/off the back channels.

Music room: Cary SLI-80 tube integrated amplifier, McIntosh MA6500 integrated amplifier, Quad 99 preamp, Quad 909 power amp, Acoustic Research AR9 loudspeakers, Yamaha CD-N500 CD player, Teac UD-503 DSD DAC, Phase Linear 8000II linear-tracking turntable.
Theater room: Panasonic 65S60 plasma television; Yamaha RX-A2020 (preamp section); Adcom GFA-5503 and GFA-5400 amplifiers; Polk LSi25, LSiC, and LSiF/X loudspeaker system; Velodyne FSR-18 servo-subwoofer.

Last edited by Alex F.; 09-03-2019 at 06:28 PM.
post #12 of 18 Old 09-04-2019, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex F. View Post
Instead of going into the Yamaha's menu, which can be annoying if done often, you could use the back-channel preamp outputs and connect them to an inexpensive power amp, integrated amp, or receiver (or one sitting in a closet, if available). If I correctly understand the Yamaha's 5.1 and 7.1 modes, then you need only power on and off the outboard unit as needed and keep the Yamaha permanently on 7.1 for music. Much less costly than buying another top-end AVR.

Edit: It occurred to me that you could use simply an outboard speaker switchbox to turn on/off the back channels.

That would be a very simple solution if it wasn't for the upmixing. To quote Yamaha's technical support; ""the receiver is generating it's own audio signal from the source that it thinks should be routed to those (back) speakers." In other words, turning off the audio to back speakers while playing a 5.1 audio source will not provide all the audio signals to the surrounds. I've heard it myself...while playing 5.1 content, there are sounds that are matrixed (for a lack of a better term) that takes some signals from the surrounds and directs them to the rears. One time I heard an electric guitar playing in the back speakers while other sounds were coming from the surrounds...and again that was with 5.1 content.

It's like if and when (very rarely) when I take a stereo (two channel source) and select one of the surround modes. In that case, certain audio signals such as the vocals usually gets directed to the center channel.

The technical support team at Yamaha does have their own work around which would be easier. Here's what they suggest...

"One work around that would be a bit easier is to use the Scene button.

You'll first want to create a Setting pattern that has the Surr Back speakers set to none. Once you have that saved you'll go ahead and select your input and dsp you want then do the following.

1. Press the On Screen button
2. Arrow down and hit enter on scene
3. Hit enter on Load
4. Then arrow down and make sure Speaker Setup is checked, you can check the other settings at your own discretion
5. Press the return button
6. Hit enter on Save

Now whenever you want to recall those settings you just press the Scene button you saved them under."

Of course I could do all that, but it just seems easier to me to go into the menu and select "x2 small back speakers" when I know I'm listening to 7.1 audio sources...and then turn it back off for the rest of my audio listening.

Thankfully, the receiver does not up-mix regular stereo signals to 5.1 or 7.1 just because I happen to have a 7.1 speaker setup.

post #13 of 18 Old 09-04-2019, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

We seem to be miscommunicating. If the Yamaha is set to 7.1 (i.e., back speakers are turned on) it will provide normal info to the surrounds and matrixed sound to the back speakers. If you turned off the back speakers with an outboard switchbox (the AVR remains set for 7.1), you will still hear normal info from the surrounds because the Yamaha does not know the back speakers are shut off.

The suggestion by Yamaha to program a Scene button is an excellent and easy solution. Pressing one button on the front panel or on the remote is far simpler than scrolling through the menu time and again. Kudos to Yamaha.

Music room: Cary SLI-80 tube integrated amplifier, McIntosh MA6500 integrated amplifier, Quad 99 preamp, Quad 909 power amp, Acoustic Research AR9 loudspeakers, Yamaha CD-N500 CD player, Teac UD-503 DSD DAC, Phase Linear 8000II linear-tracking turntable.
Theater room: Panasonic 65S60 plasma television; Yamaha RX-A2020 (preamp section); Adcom GFA-5503 and GFA-5400 amplifiers; Polk LSi25, LSiC, and LSiF/X loudspeaker system; Velodyne FSR-18 servo-subwoofer.
post #14 of 18 Old 09-04-2019, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I may be misunderstanding what's sent to the back speakers while playing 5.1 audio sources. In stereo where a there is an identical vocal on the left and right speaker to create a phantom center channel (illusion,) and then when that same signal is matrixed through a decoder, that vocal gets sent to the center channel. At that point if I was to disconnect the wires from the center channel, then theoretically there would not be any vocal signal. There may be a hint of it, but it would be mostly gone.

What I'm understanding what Yamaha is saying about the back speakers when they type "the receiver is generating it's own audio signal from the source that it thinks should be routed to those (back) speakers." I'm assuming it's taking information from the two surrounds and sending some of those signals to the backs. If I turn off the back speakers, some of the audio originally in the surround mix gets will totally disappear.

If your saying it's taking some of the information from the front speakers and sending it to the back speakers, then there's still a problem since what ever signals are sent to the back speaker (and then turning off the back speakers) would also result in lost audio signals.

At least that's the way I'm reading into it.

At the same time however I totally agree that what Yamaha is suggesting to do might be the way to to about it. I'm just worried to do it because to me there's more than just setting up a "scene" button for 7.1 back speakers and using another "scene" button for 5.1 surround. There's the equalization (I had the system professionally calibrated) distance, audio levels etc that I'm not sure would carry over to those "scene" buttons. If so I could give it a try. If not, I think going into the menu to temporarily turn on the back speakers now and then for 7.1 audio would be fine with me.

Of course I would like it better if I didn't have to do any of that. In that case I really wouldn't mind getting a updated receiver to avoid all this button pushing as I feel it should happen automatically. It currently works that way when the system is set up for 6.1 audio, but not when it's set up for 7.1 audio. And of course I have a 7.1 setup.

Quote:
We seem to be miscommunicating. If the Yamaha is set to 7.1 (i.e., back speakers are turned on) it will provide normal info to the surrounds and matrixed sound to the back speakers. If you turned off the back speakers with an outboard switchbox (the AVR remains set for 7.1), you will still hear normal info from the surrounds because the Yamaha does not know the back speakers are shut off.

The suggestion by Yamaha to program a Scene button is an excellent and easy solution. Pressing one button on the front panel or on the remote is far simpler than scrolling through the menu time and again. Kudos to Yamaha.

post #15 of 18 Old 09-04-2019, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 6366 Post(s)
Liked: 5689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post
As far as the rest of the story, I recently found out through Yamaha Support that my receiver the Yamaha RX-A3060 works as designed. Here's the response I just received...

"Thank you for contacting Yamaha Support. Unfortunately this receiver, when surround back is set to small x2, will always up mix the signal coming in to fit the number of speakers enabled. The work around, as you've found out, are to either set it to small x1 or set the surround back to none in configuration."

That's it guys. My receiver does not automatically play just 5.1 when the back speakers are set at small x2, but it does when it's set on small x1, but I don't listen to 6.1 audio sources. So my solution will be to set the back speakers to none when I want to listen to 5.1 audio, (or even quad) and then set the back speakers to small x2 when I want to listen to 7.1 audio.

Crazy isn't it guys?
That is ridiculous and there is no way I would live with that limitation. I listen to a lot of multi-channel music as well and that would annoy the p*ss out of me. Although, I do use an upmixer (PLIIz, Neo:X) with MultCh music a lot of the time and never noticed any horrible anomalies.

Are you absolutely certain that if you select the STRAIGHT surround mode and do NOT select an upmixer, it will still play 5.1 as 7.1?? If this does not work, I agree that that is crazy.

Just FYI, Denon/Marantz don't do it this way.
Thebarnman likes this.
post #16 of 18 Old 09-04-2019, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post
I may be misunderstanding what's sent to the back speakers while playing 5.1 audio sources. In stereo where a there is an identical vocal on the left and right speaker to create a phantom center channel (illusion,) and then when that same signal is matrixed through a decoder, that vocal gets sent to the center channel. At that point if I was to disconnect the wires from the center channel, then theoretically there would not be any vocal signal. There may be a hint of it, but it would be mostly gone.

What I'm understanding what Yamaha is saying about the back speakers when they type "the receiver is generating it's own audio signal from the source that it thinks should be routed to those (back) speakers." I'm assuming it's taking information from the two surrounds and sending some of those signals to the backs. If I turn off the back speakers, some of the audio originally in the surround mix gets will totally disappear.

If your saying it's taking some of the information from the front speakers and sending it to the back speakers, then there's still a problem since what ever signals are sent to the back speaker (and then turning off the back speakers) would also result in lost audio signals.

At least that's the way I'm reading into it.

At the same time however I totally agree that what Yamaha is suggesting to do might be the way to to about it. I'm just worried to do it because to me there's more than just setting up a "scene" button for 7.1 back speakers and using another "scene" button for 5.1 surround. There's the equalization (I had the system professionally calibrated) distance, audio levels etc that I'm not sure would carry over to those "scene" buttons. If so I could give it a try. If not, I think going into the menu to temporarily turn on the back speakers now and then for 7.1 audio would be fine with me.

Of course I would like it better if I didn't have to do any of that. In that case I really wouldn't mind getting a updated receiver to avoid all this button pushing as I feel it should happen automatically. It currently works that way when the system is set up for 6.1 audio, but not when it's set up for 7.1 audio. And of course I have a 7.1 setup.
See underlined type. No, I never said or implied that at all. I am stating that you could simply leave the Yamaha in 7.1 permanently and shut off the back speakers with a switchbox for 5.1 music listening. The result is apparently identical, based on your posts, to telling the Yamaha to turn off the back speakers via the menu (i.e., a 5.1 speaker configuration).

But the Scene option is the best idea yet. It is easy to press Scene 1 for video and Scene 2 for music. It saves well over $1k and having to disconnect everything and re-connect it all again if you purchase a new AVR, plus having to re-enter all the menu settings.

PS: I suggest you write down all the calibration info should anything be lost due to a catastrophic power surge or other event.
Thebarnman likes this.

post #17 of 18 Old 09-04-2019, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Are you absolutely certain that if you select the STRAIGHT surround mode and do NOT select an upmixer, it will still play 5.1 as 7.1?? If this does not work, I agree that that is crazy.

Just FYI, Denon/Marantz don't do it this way.

Thanks, and yes...that is how it works. When set to STRAIGHT, with no upmixer at all, it plays 5.1 as 7.1. And I agree, that's pretty crazy. According to Yamaha while asking if it would be possible for a update so it will play 5.1 as 5.1 (even though I have a 7.1 setup) their response was

"Given that the feature you're requesting isn't something that most general users need or request I doubt they'll be a update released enabling that." From that response, I guess my desire to listen to 5.1 as 5.1 must be kind of weird!

Next spring I plan to have four in ceiling speakers installed for Atmos. A new question I asked Yamaha (though I feel I probably shouldn't even have to ask this question) was "Next spring when I add four in ceiling speakers for Atmos, will 5.1 audio automatically be also upmixed to those ceiling speakers, or will those in ceiling speakers only be active when playing from a true Atmos source?"

I know...dumb question right? But maybe not! If Yamaha's reasoning is most people don't mind listening to 5.1 as 7.1, then what's stopping Yamaha from automatically upmixing 5.1 or 7.1 as Atmos? If that's the case, I'm going to have to either set up another "Scene" button, or just turn off the option that I have Atmos speakers by going into the menu system.

post #18 of 18 Old 09-04-2019, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I get it now, I see where you're coming from. From all the options talked about, yes I agree setting up a "Scene" button for 5.1 and another "Scene" button for 7.1 would probably be the easiest (and least expensive.) From what you could tell from my above post, when I finally get set up for Atmos next spring, I've got my fingers crossed that a 5.1 or 7.1 audio source does not automatically get upmixed to Atmos. If so, it looks like I'll be setting up another "Scene" button for Atmos.

By the way, when I had my system professionally calibrated, all settings were typed out, and I was given a Backup/Recover file so everything could be automatically recovered/downloaded back to the receiver if needed.

Quote:
See underlined type. No, I never said or implied that at all. I am stating that you could simply leave the Yamaha in 7.1 permanently and shut off the back speakers with a switchbox for 5.1 music listening. The result is apparently identical, based on your posts, to telling the Yamaha to turn off the back speakers via the menu (i.e., a 5.1 speaker configuration).

But the Scene option is the best idea yet. It is easy to press Scene 1 for video and Scene 2 for music. It saves well over $1k and having to disconnect everything and re-connect it all again if you purchase a new AVR, plus having to re-enter all the menu settings.

PS: I suggest you write down all the calibration info should anything be lost due to a catastrophic power surge or other event.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page