AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-audio-theory-setup-chat/)
-   -   HELP w/ Room Correction and Calibration (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-audio-theory-setup-chat/3088014-help-w-room-correction-calibration.html)

Gus Rodeen 08-31-2019 10:22 AM

HELP w/ Room Correction and Calibration

Hello all,

I hope this is the correct area to post this...

I am interesting in getting the most out of my system, so I purchased a UMIK-1 and intended to do some calibrations and room correction. Now, I'm learning more about it through reading and it seems I need a DSP to apply corrections (filters) to each audio channel.

My system is a 5.1.4 Atmos setup. The 4 atmos speakers are mounted/hung on the ceiling (not in-ceiling). I've read that the only way to calibrate a setup like this, is to use two separate DSPs. A DSP for the mains + sub and another DSP for the 4 height speakers.

My question, is.... is this all true? Is there room correction that can be accomplished with only a UMIK1 mic and REW software? Or is a DSP needed to provide the correction?

I've seen a video online of someone doing room correction via only the AVRs distance setting, but only for the subwoofer. Basically, he would take measurements in REW at 10ft, 15ft, 20ft, and etc... until the curve was flatter and with fewer extreme peaks/valleys.

Just looking for a little guidance to ensure that what I'm seeing/reading is accurate online. To summarize, I have a UMIK1, a laptop w/REW, and a 5.1.4 Atmos system... what are my options?

Thanks

Leeliemix 08-31-2019 10:58 AM

Which reciever do you have?

REW and umik is usually used to check/confirm while using other room correction software, but can be used with dirac capable devices.

Gus Rodeen 08-31-2019 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leeliemix (Post 58496742)
Which reciever do you have?

REW and umik is usually used to check/confirm while using other room correction software, but can be used with dirac capable devices.

My AVR is : Onkyo NR787

Leeliemix 08-31-2019 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gus Rodeen (Post 58497170)
My AVR is : Onkyo NR787

Onkyo does have its own room correction so you can use umik/REW to check how well its doing before considering other boxes.

Many seem to use umik/REW with minidsp for better sub integration but others know more about that then me so might chime in. Either way umik/REW will help you figure out problem spots if you have any serious ones.