Analog vs. SPDIF vs. HDMI - for 7.1 Surround - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 09-03-2019, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Analog vs. SPDIF vs. HDMI - for 7.1 Surround

Hi there,
So, my setup is -
AVR-Denon X8500H, having digital in, hdmi in and analog 7.1 in free.
Movies and Music player: Windows 10 PC with Asus Essense STX II soundcard that is having 7.1 analog + digital SPDIF outputs.
Video Card: Gigabyte 2080 TI with HDMI out
Speakers: 7.1 setup - 2 fronts, 2 high fronts, 1 center, 2 sides and 1 sub (Monitor Audio Silver)

I really prefer to connect my PC video card straight to the TV and not to the receiver (long story, can be discussed why in a different thread).
Doing so, I've been left with either connect the SPDIF cable from the sound card to the X8500H or get high quality RCA cables to analog connect the sound card to the receiver.

Will the analog 7.1 connection will give a better overall quality in music and movies playing? will it be able to decode new movies with Atmos and such? If not, i will have to give up the HDMI direct to TV connection or to use an SPDIF which i already aware is not supporting all decoding and music quality as analog connection.

Any tip is appreciated, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-03-2019, 04:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 135
SPDIF you wont get uncompressed multichannel through.
You wont get Atmos from the analogue 7.1

HDMI is the only way you will get the best sound performance.
Could there be a way to do dual HDMI like some bluray players have, one to AVR and one to the TV?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #3 of 10 Old 09-03-2019, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeliemix View Post
SPDIF you wont get uncompressed multichannel through.
You wont get Atmos from the analogue 7.1

HDMI is the only way you will get the best sound performance.
Could there be a way to do dual HDMI like some bluray players have, one to AVR and one to the TV?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Oh.. i now understood that also the Audessey automated configuration will not work trough 7.1 analogs. Wish there were a sound card or other way as you mentioned to use one HDMI to pass audio and another to pass video, but there is nothing out there that i could find.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 09-03-2019, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3271 Post(s)
Liked: 3356
There are stand-alone devices sold on Amazon (and undoubtedly elsewhere) to do that but they are pricey and I have no idea how well they work.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #5 of 10 Old 09-03-2019, 10:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked: 567
You can use a dual HDMI solution. It's easy as your video card has multiple outputs. You will need an appropriate displayport to HDMI adapter, but I believe a passive adapter is sufficient.

Use the HDMI output to your tv. Use the adapter to your receiver - you don't need to set it any higher than 720p60 for full audio bandwidth. Then make it your audio output device.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-04-2019, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
You can use a dual HDMI solution. It's easy as your video card has multiple outputs. You will need an appropriate displayport to HDMI adapter, but I believe a passive adapter is sufficient.

Use the HDMI output to your tv. Use the adapter to your receiver - you don't need to set it any higher than 720p60 for full audio bandwidth. Then make it your audio output device.
Thanks, i thought about that and it is a solution but not a perfect one. There are various issues in cloning, mainly losing performance when you are gaming.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-04-2019, 11:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Don't clone. Just extend. Your receiver only has to be set to 720p for every supported audio format. Stick the display in a corner for minimal overlap. Your games won't render on the secondary screen.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-05-2019, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Don't clone. Just extend. Your receiver only has to be set to 720p for every supported audio format. Stick the display in a corner for minimal overlap. Your games won't render on the secondary screen.
Sound good actually. Have you tried that? asking since it makes me think now to sell my video card and get one with dual hdmi's so i can do this without adapters and such (i'm using Audioquest Coffee HDMI cable and do not want anything to disturb them in the way).

Thanks!
post #9 of 10 Old 09-05-2019, 10:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah, I use this configuration. Display port to monitor, HDMI to receiver purely because it's an older card so DisplayPort goes to a 4k monitor, and HDMI to receiver set at 720p. The monitor is primary and the receiver attaches to the main monitor at the bottom right corner. It almost never wanders over to that display, but if it does, I always go up and left. Useful too if I lose the cursor on the 4k expanse of pixels.

Cloning is something I rarely do - even when projecting I use extend which lets me keep embarrassing or private notifications, window titles and other windows on my private display while the crowd sees only what I want them to see.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-06-2019, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 150
How about using eARC on the TV to send the audio signal to your receiver? Just use an HDMI port other than the eARC HDMI port on your TV when connecting the PC to the TV.

Sony MASTER Series | harman/kardon AVR | Klipsch Reference Premiere | KEF UniQ | PlayStation | Mohu Leaf | Hue Play | MediaLight | logitech Harmony | CyberPower PFC UPS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page