Dual subs that differ in type and size - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-09-2019, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dual subs that differ in type and size

So I just got a new avr that has independent dual subwoofer outs with Audyssey XT32 room correction. I currently have an old Polk audio psw650 with dual 10s. Since this is a fairly old sub I don’t have any interest in finding an identical 2nd one to pair together. I primarily watch tv and movies and I have a very odd shaped room. It is 13.6x 14.8. TV is on the 14.8 wall. One side of the 13.6 wall is completely open to the rest of the house. In addition the ceiling is high and sloped starting around 11 feet to 17 feet.

What would be the general consensus on getting a new different sub to pair with it? Good idea bad idea? If you like the idea would you limit yourself to new 10’ models? Or would it be better to get a different size since the independent sub controls could blend them together by setting specific crossovers, levels etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-09-2019, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The only limitations are that it might not play as loud as the new one.
But that is easy to adjust. Just use a lower gain.
And if possible put it on the other side of the room.
Play a little with phase adjustment. You might get a more even bass in the room.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-09-2019, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I'm sure there are a million audiophile reasons why this is a bad idea, but I recently did this in my dedicated theater and the results have been awesome.

For me, the impetus was also an amp upgrade to add ATMOS to an existing 7.1 speaker setup. I have PARADIGM monitor series all around with a 20 year old PS-1000 downward firing sub. My prospects for adding a second sub were limited as my funds were depleted with the unexpected AMP upgrade.

I decided to go with a temporary solution and purchase something cheap off KIJIJI. I ended up with a 12' ENERGY sub.

Long story short, I have paired a 10' downward firing ported sub with a 12' forward firing sealed sub. After some experimenting with placement (floor crawl) and allowing the amp to do it's thing (ONKYO AccuEQ ADVANCED), the results are so good that I've decided that this temporary fix will be permanent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-14-2019, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Cool that it worked out. My concern with some pairings is that one might discover how muddy and distorted a crappy sub might be, depending on where one is in the room able to detect between the two playing, yes more critical with music, kind of like a cheap unturned double bass next to a fine made one in the orchestra, only the back row musicians might notice!

Music, more music.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-15-2019, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 219
What's your goal? Are you looking for louder output, or lower extension, or just smoother bass response. If the latter, what are the main issues with the current subwoofer response? Are there any bad room modes or deep cancellation nulls that you hope to address?

In my experience, two subs are definitely better than one when it comes to producing flatter bass response. There are placement tricks you can use to cancel an axial mode, fill in a null, etc. I think that in most rooms, the benefits from adding another sub outweigh the concerns over matching. But if you're already getting pretty flat response from your current sub, then it might be better to just replace it with a more powerful model that can reach lower.

HT: Dynaudio C2, Contour S CX, 2x BM14S, Aperion surrounds, Simaudio Titan, Marantz AV8801, Oppo 103, Linn Majik DS, and a Pioneer Kuro
Stereo: Dynaudio Focus 160, Simaudio W-5 LE or Luxman M-600A, Linn Akurate DSM, 2x Rythmik F12G
Other interests: motorcycling, skiing, being active
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
dual subs; different

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page