What type of filter do receivers use to crossover speakers to subs - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-21-2019, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What type of filter do receivers use to crossover speakers to subs

I am building some speakers and trying to model the woofers in WinISD, and I was wondering how to model the receiver crossover to the LFE channel. I have tried searching online but I cant find a definitive answer of what type of filter they use.

I have a Denon x4400h and plan on setting the speakers to small with a 40hz crossover. WinISD default filter is a second order butterworth with a Q of .707, so that is what I used in my preliminary modeling, but I wasn't sure how accurate this is. Can anyone confirm what type of filter Denon uses to cross over speakers to LFE channel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-21-2019, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 5369 Post(s)
Liked: 3881
" With a standard “small” 80Hz setting for all channels, the high pass filter (HPF) for the satellite speakers maintained the correct 80Hz -3dB pt with a 12 dB/octave slope. The sub out did not maintain the 24dB/octave slope we’ve been accustomed to seeing with Denon A/V receivers and THX certified products in general. Instead, I measured --8dB at 80Hz with a 19dB/octave slope. "

https://www.audioholics.com/av-recei...w/measurements

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original master, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".
post #3 of 3 Old 11-04-2019, 05:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1149 Post(s)
Liked: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Clark View Post
I am building some speakers and trying to model the woofers in WinISD, and I was wondering how to model the receiver crossover to the LFE channel. I have tried searching online but I cant find a definitive answer of what type of filter they use.

I have a Denon x4400h and plan on setting the speakers to small with a 40hz crossover. WinISD default filter is a second order butterworth with a Q of .707, so that is what I used in my preliminary modeling, but I wasn't sure how accurate this is. Can anyone confirm what type of filter Denon uses to cross over speakers to LFE channel?

The LFE channel is a channel that contains bass information that plays only from the subwoofer. In, for example, a Denon AVR-X8500H the default setting for the low pass filter for the LFE channel is 120 Hz. This low pass filter likely has a 24dB per octave slope. This slope can't be set. This setting is likely the setting for most of at least the higher level Denon equipment. To clarify, if you set all your speakers to large then the subwoofer channel will only play the LFE channel.

If you download the online manual in PDF format from here:

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX8500H/NA/EN/index.php

You'll find the AVR-X8500H Bass information on page 251.

The LFE channel crossover setting should not be confused with the crossover setting between speakers (channels) set to small and the subwoofer. This is a separate subject. The crossovers between the speakers set to small and the subwoofer are separate settings.

The LFE channel crossover frequency can be changed, however in a proper soundtrack there should be essentially nothing above 120Hz and lowing the crossover will lose whatever was intentionally recorded between 120 Hz and the new, lower crossover frequency. You can read numerous opinions on this subject on this forum if you have a lot of spare time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page