Whole Home Audio Setup - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-22-2019, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Whole Home Audio Setup

I'd like to change my whole home audio setup.

Currently, I have google home's, google home mini's, and google chromecast audio's feeding outdoor speakers to provide whole home audio, but I would like to change this setup. I've grown to prefer in ceiling sound vs audio from a google home. More resort quality than consumer quality.

I plan on installing 2 speakers per room and multiple speakers outside. I have a limited understanding of ohms and how I need to wire these speakers, so any additional input would be appreciated (Such as: can I daisy chain speakers or does each speaker need to connect back to the receiver).

Outdoors is the only area that will require 4 or more speakers for one area. How would you wire these?

My Ultimate Goal:
Zone1: TV will output to Living Room with the option of Kitchen and outdoor deck speakers.
Zone2: Outdoor Speakers around pool (input is either google audio's or some other network connected device)
Zone3: All common areas and outdoor speakers. (input is either google audio's or some other network connected device)

I've done a little research and get sidetracked easily. I've found that Sonos will do what I want, but it's extremely expensive. Are there other alternatives? Can I buy a preamp and distribute via an external amp or are there other alternatives?

Do you guys have any basic ideas I can use to start the process or is Sonos the best option?

Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-22-2019, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Seems like you're building off of your livingroom home theater so do you have a receiver yet? Most have their own proprietary system to do whole home audio. Denon/marantz for example have their Heos system (which also has stand alone wireless speakers similar to sonos).

Option #1 : You'll likely need a 3 zone receiver to build around (denon's avr-x4500h, for example). Your main zone will be your livingroom. Zone 2 is your kitchen and deck (run off of a second amp using the zone 2 preamp output). Zone 3 is for your pool speakers, and again will likely need it's own amp. You can combine main zone and zone 2 to have same input and have zone 3 with a different source. You can have all 3 zones on the same source or different sources for each zone (unlikely if it's an open floorplan).

Option #2 : you can start with a smaller 2 zone receiver for your main zone and zone 2. For your pool speakers, use another cheaper receiver that also has heos (like the Denon avr-x1500h currently $285 at Crutchfield). This a a cheaper route than buying the Heos amp. This receiver can be placed closer to the pool to shorten your wire runs.

You can daisy chain if needed (to a point) but home runs for each speaker would be ideal. Wiring a pair of speakers in parallel will put more stress on your amp, and wiring in series will reduce output (which you'll need especially for your outdoor speakers). It'll depend on the sensitivity (how easy it is to drive) of your speakers.

On a separate point, you said you were gonna put 2 ceiling speakers per room. If your livingroom is only going to have 2 speakers, I wouldn't put them in the ceiling if they will be used for tv/movies as well. You really should create at least the front soundstage with a LCR setup. If you still want ceiling speakers, use them as the surrounds or even better, as the Atmos speakers with proper surrounds.

In any case, sounds like quite the wiring project you're taking on. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewhiggs View Post
I'd like to change my whole home audio setup.

Currently, I have google home's, google home mini's, and google chromecast audio's feeding outdoor speakers to provide whole home audio, but I would like to change this setup. I've grown to prefer in ceiling sound vs audio from a google home. More resort quality than consumer quality.

I plan on installing 2 speakers per room and multiple speakers outside. I have a limited understanding of ohms and how I need to wire these speakers, so any additional input would be appreciated (Such as: can I daisy chain speakers or does each speaker need to connect back to the receiver).

Outdoors is the only area that will require 4 or more speakers for one area. How would you wire these?

My Ultimate Goal:
Zone1: TV will output to Living Room with the option of Kitchen and outdoor deck speakers.
Zone2: Outdoor Speakers around pool (input is either google audio's or some other network connected device)
Zone3: All common areas and outdoor speakers. (input is either google audio's or some other network connected device)

I've done a little research and get sidetracked easily. I've found that Sonos will do what I want, but it's extremely expensive. Are there other alternatives? Can I buy a preamp and distribute via an external amp or are there other alternatives?

Do you guys have any basic ideas I can use to start the process or is Sonos the best option?

Thanks for any help!

Marantz SR7013
Polk Signature S60's
Polk S30
Polk S15's
Polk HTS12's
post #3 of 3 Old 10-23-2019, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the multiple options!

My old audio receiver died a couple of years ago and I decided to take a more streamline approach and replace the entertainment center (surround sound and all) with a wall mounted tv and sound bar. This is coming back to bite me now that I want to expand the living room sound. I wasn't aware of the HEOS ecosystem, so I'll definitely look into those receivers.

For the living room, I do not plan on using in-ceiling speakers, those would be used in the "extra" zones.

Again, thanks for the options. I'll see if I can draw this out once I make a decision on equipment and follow up if I run into any logic problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page