Are GIK 244 bass traps supposed to be solid in the front? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By ereed
  • 1 Post By anjunadeep
  • 1 Post By Craig Peer
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-05-2019, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Miami Beach, FL
Posts: 391
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Are GIK 244 bass traps supposed to be solid in the front?

Probably a dumb question incoming:
I ordered a kit of GIK 244 bass traps, and I was planning to use them behind my mains as just large absorbers...but I noticed upon taking them out of the box they are solid in the front. Like... you can knock on their face and it's solid. I didn't order any range limiter thing or anything special, just a pair of black 244s. SKU 244.

Before I make myself look like a fool, is it normal to have a solid face? They just absorb through the back and you have to space them off the wall? It's not a scatter plate or something on these, it's completely solid. I can't feel any holes or slats.

I have a feeling I'm just asking a really dumb question, but, I figure you guys won't judge . If I were to mount this thing on the wall, it would completely block the insulation inside from being exposed to air...

Same shipment I got 224s and those are what I expected, they breathe through the front. Insulation behind it. When I talk into it, I can hear that it is absorbing. When I talk into the 244s, it shoots right back at me.
anjunadeep is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 11-06-2019, 09:48 AM
 
Skinfax1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Bass traps for low frequencies to fight room modes, like VPRs, even use metallic surface plates of 1 - 2 mm thickness. The heavier the mass, the lower the frequency they suck out. Bass traps are not working like broadband absorbers. They should dampen low frequencies the most. Wave energy is conducted from the surface plate into the trap's dampening material and eliminated there. The empty space behind the trap and the wall is to increase the low frequency energy destruction.

Last edited by Skinfax1; 11-06-2019 at 09:56 AM.
Skinfax1 is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 11-07-2019, 04:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Red MC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 437
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 242
There are three options when ordering the 244s:
- Full Range (no membrane)
- Range Limiter (with membrane to reflect the high frequencies)
- Scatter Plate (wooden plate with slots to partially absorb and partially diffuse the high frequencies)

https://www.gikacoustics.com/product...ge-technology/

Not sure how you missed these options when ordering. When you go to add a 244 to your shopping cart, the options are right there and they default to full range.

HT: Dynaudio C2, Contour S CX, 2x BM14S, Aperion surrounds, Simaudio Titan, Marantz AV8801, Oppo 103, Linn Majik DS, and a Pioneer Kuro
Stereo: Dynaudio Focus 160, Simaudio W-5 LE or Luxman M-600A, Linn Akurate DSM, 2x Rythmik F12G
Other interests: motorcycling, skiing, being active
Red MC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 Old 11-07-2019, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Miami Beach, FL
Posts: 391
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red MC View Post
There are three options when ordering the 244s:

- Full Range (no membrane)

- Range Limiter (with membrane to reflect the high frequencies)

- Scatter Plate (wooden plate with slots to partially absorb and partially diffuse the high frequencies)



https://www.gikacoustics.com/product...ge-technology/



Not sure how you missed these options when ordering. When you go to add a 244 to your shopping cart, the options are right there and they default to full range.


Thanks. Yeah I contacted support and they just sent me the wrong one accidentally. They shipped a replacement right away.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
anjunadeep is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 11-11-2019, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ereed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,505
Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2346 Post(s)
Liked: 1647
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjunadeep View Post
Probably a dumb question incoming:
I ordered a kit of GIK 244 bass traps, and I was planning to use them behind my mains as just large absorbers...but I noticed upon taking them out of the box they are solid in the front. Like... you can knock on their face and it's solid. I didn't order any range limiter thing or anything special, just a pair of black 244s. SKU 244.

Before I make myself look like a fool, is it normal to have a solid face? They just absorb through the back and you have to space them off the wall? It's not a scatter plate or something on these, it's completely solid. I can't feel any holes or slats.

I have a feeling I'm just asking a really dumb question, but, I figure you guys won't judge . If I were to mount this thing on the wall, it would completely block the insulation inside from being exposed to air...

Same shipment I got 224s and those are what I expected, they breathe through the front. Insulation behind it. When I talk into it, I can hear that it is absorbing. When I talk into the 244s, it shoots right back at me.
The solid hard feel is the range limiters which absorbs 400hz and below. IMO those are better than the full range option on front wall behind the speakers and absorb more low end. The mids/highs do not hit the front wall behind the speakers like low end does. Looks like GIK made a mistake with your order and looks like they did fix it. If they decide to let you keep it then use it on front wall and use the full range as first reflection point on side wall or rear wall so it absorbs mids/highs and not reflect back at you.
anjunadeep likes this.

Theater room: Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Outlaw Audio 976 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels

TV Room: Panny 60 inch | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Axiom Audio M60/VP150/QS8
ereed is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 11-11-2019, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Miami Beach, FL
Posts: 391
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
The solid hard feel is the range limiters which absorbs 400hz and below. IMO those are better than the full range option on front wall behind the speakers and absorb more low end. The mids/highs do not hit the front wall behind the speakers like low end does. Looks like GIK made a mistake with your order and looks like they did fix it. If they decide to let you keep it then use it on front wall and use the full range as first reflection point on side wall or rear wall so it absorbs mids/highs and not reflect back at you.
My room is pretty live and have limited wall space so GIK recommended full range absorption basically where ever I could. This works out to be the front wall, corners, and some spots on the sidewalls. I was pretty surprised at what a difference just leaning those against the wall makes, I haven't had a chance to measure yet but I noticed that when I turned on a few movies demos I could actually have the volume slightly higher comfortably, I imagine simply from that energy getting absorbed. Vocals are also sounding nicer.

I have to say, probably the best value of an upgrade I've seen in a while. GIK isn't the cheapest out there, but for 244s and 224s it's not so bad considering the improvement in my room.

The did let me keep the range limited one, but since it is just one I'm probably going to put it in my office opposite side of the room, opposite corner of the subwoofer, as I notice that has a lot of standing waves there. That room is the opposite of my listening room, and is pretty dead between the carpet and bookshelves and soft goods, so it is likely a great application for that panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-11-10 11.30.49.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	2639534  
Craig Peer likes this.
anjunadeep is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 11-15-2019, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 16,700
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7212 Post(s)
Liked: 8624
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjunadeep View Post
My room is pretty live and have limited wall space so GIK recommended full range absorption basically where ever I could. This works out to be the front wall, corners, and some spots on the sidewalls. I was pretty surprised at what a difference just leaning those against the wall makes, I haven't had a chance to measure yet but I noticed that when I turned on a few movies demos I could actually have the volume slightly higher comfortably, I imagine simply from that energy getting absorbed. Vocals are also sounding nicer.

I have to say, probably the best value of an upgrade I've seen in a while. GIK isn't the cheapest out there, but for 244s and 224s it's not so bad considering the improvement in my room.


The did let me keep the range limited one, but since it is just one I'm probably going to put it in my office opposite side of the room, opposite corner of the subwoofer, as I notice that has a lot of standing waves there. That room is the opposite of my listening room, and is pretty dead between the carpet and bookshelves and soft goods, so it is likely a great application for that panel.
It really is a good improvement. I installed three 242 acoustic panels at the first reflection points several years ago. I didn't tell anybody, and guests that had just been over to watch a movie a couple days prior turned to me and asked " did you get new speakers " ? Ha ! Now I'm installing GIK bass traps, and Gridfusers on my ceiling, which is making a big improvement in sound.
Craig Peer is online now  
post #8 of 9 Old 11-23-2019, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SJHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,630
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1155 Post(s)
Liked: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
It really is a good improvement. I installed three 242 acoustic panels at the first reflection points several years ago. I didn't tell anybody, and guests that had just been over to watch a movie a couple days prior turned to me and asked " did you get new speakers " ? Ha ! Now I'm installing GIK bass traps, and Gridfusers on my ceiling, which is making a big improvement in sound.
Craig, how are you deciding what to add to your room? I’ve sent in some info to GIK for room treatment advice, but not heard back yet. Today only have a single 24x48 panel in front of each of my main speakers. Thanks. SJ
SJHT is online now  
post #9 of 9 Old 11-23-2019, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 16,700
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7212 Post(s)
Liked: 8624
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post
Craig, how are you deciding what to add to your room? I’ve sent in some info to GIK for room treatment advice, but not heard back yet. Today only have a single 24x48 panel in front of each of my main speakers. Thanks. SJ
I contacted them and sent dimensions, multiple photographs of the room, and also explained that it's already pretty dampened in my theater. I remember Jeff of Accucal saying " it sounds pretty good in here, but I wouldn't add any more dampening ". I'm working with John Dykstra at GIK. He's been very helpful. I can tell the enclosed side of the theater needs more bass trap treatment - it's still a bit " boomy " on that side compared to the hallway side. The bass traps on the front wall have range limiters, but all the bass traps on the sides and rear of the room have scatter plates per John's recommendation, to keep the room from sounding too dead. Bass is sounding tighter overall.

Once I get the four 1' x 4' 244 Bass Traps that are coming ( among other bass traps ), and figure out exactly where I can fit them, I'll be able to determine exactly how many more I'm going to install.

This was interesting reading here - https://ethanwiner.com/basstrap_myths.htm
SJHT likes this.
Craig Peer is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off