1Likes
  • 1 Post By sdurani

post #1 of 6 Old 11-10-2019, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Help me understand Auro 3d

So I've been designing my theater upgrade specifically with atmos in mind and didn't think about Auro 3d at all until now. I'm more than likely going to do a 7.2.6 configuration like attached. Is Auro 3d as simple as a speaker mounted to the wall directly above the corner FL/R and SBL/R speakers and possibly one directly over the center of the seating area as the VOG? Could I get away with using the overhead Atmos speakers as the heights in Auro 3d?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13rume.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	2639332  

Last edited by mach250; 11-10-2019 at 05:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-11-2019, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 220 Post(s)
Quoted: 7373 Post(s)
Liked: 6452
Auro was intended to have a 5.1 base layer with 6 speakers in the height layer (5 of them high up on the walls rather than ceiling). The 4 most important height speakers are the ones above the front speakers and surround speakers. If your processor can do more height speakers, Auro can add a centre height (above the centre speaker) and a VOG (Voice Of God) speaker directly above the listeners.

Same height placement when doing a 7.1 base layer (surround heights go above the sides, not the rears).

With a 7.1 base layer, I would put the surround heights between the sides and rears. YMMV.
vn800art likes this.

Sanjay
post #3 of 6 Old 11-11-2019, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
Auro was intended to have a 5.1 base layer with 6 speakers in the height layer (5 of them high up on the walls rather than ceiling). The 4 most important height speakers are the ones above the front speakers and surround speakers. If your processor can do more height speakers, Auro can add a centre height (above the centre speaker) and a VOG (Voice Of God) speaker directly above the listeners.

Same height placement when doing a 7.1 base layer (surround heights go above the sides, not the rears).

With a 7.1 base layer, I would put the surround heights between the sides and rears. YMMV.

Would I need specifically placed speakers or can I get close enough with the atmos layout in my original post? This is what I'm unsure of and I'm thinking that trying to do both an atmos and auro setup would require more than 16 individual channels/speakers to do both formats. I think I get that auro needs speakers basically at each position above a floor speaker but do they really need to be placed there? I might just disregard auro 3d at this point as it would be a pricey undertaking to add it to my room update.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-12-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach250 View Post
Would I need specifically placed speakers or can I get close enough with the atmos layout in my original post?
Depends on how closely you are trying to adhere to Auro placement. This is not a problem for Atmos and DTS:X, since the two formats share overhead speaker locations that are pretty close (see below). Auro is odd man out.

Quote:
I think I get that auro needs speakers basically at each position above a floor speaker but do they really need to be placed there?
The designers of the Auro format think so.
Quote:
I might just disregard auro 3d at this point as it would be a pricey undertaking to add it to my room update.
When it comes to movies on BD & UHD released in the US, there are around 420 Atmos titles, roughly 125 DTS:X titles and 0 (zero) Auro titles. Is it really worth compromising Atmos/DTS:X placement for Auro?

Sanjay
post #5 of 6 Old 11-12-2019, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
When it comes to movies on BD & UHD released in the US, there are around 420 Atmos titles, roughly 125 DTS:X titles and 0 (zero) Auro titles. Is it really worth compromising Atmos/DTS:X placement for Auro?

If there isn’t media then why does Auro exist? I’m also learning that not many titles utilize the front wides so may not even mess with them.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-12-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach250 View Post
If there isn’t media then why does Auro exist?
Some people like their upmixer, Auro-Matic, especially for music. If it's already built into the receiver or processor you buy, then no harm using it (even with Atmos/DTS:X speaker placement).
Quote:
I’m also learning that not many titles utilize the front wides so may not even mess with them.
Wides aren't used often enough with Atmos soundtracks. But when they do get use, they're helpful in filling the big gap between the Fronts & Sides. Wides should get more use with DTS:X tracks when DTS lifts their current 11-speaker limit (DTS:X Pro). So they might be worth adding down the road. Wides are not part of the Auro speaker configuration.

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page