Help with surround speaker type and positioning - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Leeliemix

post #1 of 6 Old 11-12-2019, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Help with surround speaker type and positioning

Hey all! First real foray into setting up a HT audio so go easy on me. Our last home had an existing mediocre in-ceiling 5-speaker system we just used so trying to figure this out. Looking at an SVS Ultra 5 bookshelf speaker system to add to my PB-1000. Use is probably 80% movies/tv, 10% gaming, 10% music. Debating between getting Ultra surrounds (their bipole/dipole/duet option) or standard bookshelf speakers. Problem is we have an open living/kitchen area so no true back wall. Planning to have someone run speaker wire under the crown moulding to the positions and wall mount the surrounds. Due to windows on the "top" wall and closet/bathroom doors under Green A & B positions, the wall mounts for all surround positions would be about 7 feet high. Currently the main viewing couch is roughly level with the back edge of the "lower" wall but could move up a foot or two. Blue box = TV, red boxes = LCR, brown boxes = seating (couches, chair, barstools). Obviously not to scale ;-)

Spoke to a guy from SVS briefly who rec'd using Ultra Surrounds in Bipole mode mounted at both "A" positions at or just behind the listener. Any thoughts on if this is the best option? Other suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Speaker Layout.png
Views:	24
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	2640394  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-12-2019, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 162
I'd go with A, at 7 ft just tilt them down a little. Look at speakers in a theatre, same.
Other folks here can advise better on di vs bookshelf when there is no back wall.

Music, more music.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-12-2019, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Photos

A few photos of the room in question to help, tried to mark the approximate locations from the diagram. Pardon the mess, we are still unpacking. Priority is getting the theater set up ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yellow front.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	235.8 KB
ID:	2640440   Click image for larger version

Name:	yellow back.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	2640442   Click image for larger version

Name:	green back.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	260.1 KB
ID:	2640446   Click image for larger version

Name:	green front.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	225.4 KB
ID:	2640448  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-13-2019, 02:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 193
A is where they are supposed to be and if you are not going atmos the elevation is no problem at all, just tilt down a little as mentioned above.
Dipole or normal bookshelf is a preference question, some like them, some dont but its been a very long time(25 years or so) since surrounds were supposed to be dipoles, now i think the formats more or less assume its normals but it depends on what you want, more diffuse soundstage behind/to side or more pinpoint. No wrong choice either way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
altpensacola likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-13-2019, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter

As of now, I don't have an intention of doing anything beyond 5.1 setup, no Atmos ambitions.

The other option is wiring the bipole surrounds as a 7.1 set up, or Duet as SVS calls them not sure how that would play out without a rear wall to reflect the "back" half of the speaker off of.

Last edited by BlaugranaMD; 11-13-2019 at 06:21 AM.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-14-2019, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaugranaMD View Post
As of now, I don't have an intention of doing anything beyond 5.1 setup, no Atmos ambitions.

The other option is wiring the bipole surrounds as a 7.1 set up, or Duet as SVS calls them not sure how that would play out without a rear wall to reflect the "back" half of the speaker off of.
Agreed with location 'A' and run them in bipole mode, not duet mode - since you don't have a nearby reflective back wall.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page