Use a old pre pro and a modern AVR to get 4volts? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-13-2019, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Use a old pre pro and a modern AVR to get 4volts?

I was curious if this is logical or if its just incorrect. I have pro crown amps that really want a higher voltage input to sing. My av denon 3600 marks them at +12 for level and then I manually up the gains on the amps. They range from half to 75 % depending on my speakers.

Would it be worth picking up say a marantz 7702 that has 7 channel INs. Using the RCA outs from the 3600 to those ins for the 7 channels. Then using the 7702 preouts balanced to my crown amps and getting a full 4 volts.

My speakers are all 95db sensitivity or higher and I really dont need much power to be honest. Or do I say forget it all and just use the internal amps on the 3600 to power the 9 speakers and maybe use my old denon x4000 to power the spare two channels. I figured I could use one of those energy saver control power strips to auto turn the x4000 on.

The system works and sound good as it stands now. I do hear a slight hiss from the noise floor on the amps but I think that would stay the same regardless of what amp I use.

"we need more power" - My Wife.

Theater Build Thread - Wartooth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-14-2019, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 360
What Crown amplifier do you have that requires 4 volts?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Equipment List
"A nice mid-fi system," according to an audiophile acquaintance.

Reviews and Tech Articles
post #3 of 3 Old 11-15-2019, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 5546 Post(s)
Liked: 3986
I used to sell devices which converted lower voltage preouts into higher voltage preouts of 4V or more. Generically these devices are sometimes called "line amps" or "line drivers". Brands I would recommend include the Phoenix Gold PLD1 and AudioControl units. Although they were meant for car use I'm confident that with a 12VDC wall wart (transformer) they would work fine for home use. [I use other AudioControl gear this way with great success. Don't let the "car" aspect throw you. Their specs show they are state of the art.]

https://www.audiocontrol.com/car-aud...verdrive-plus/

Last edited by m. zillch; 11-15-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page