Please tell me which cables to buy for brand new mid-range home theater - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 11-17-2019, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Please tell me which cables to buy for brand new mid-range home theater

I am building a new home theater system from scratch in a new-construction home that will be completed in January.

I have not bought any cables since 2008 and used to sell home theater back in the late 90s so I was brainwashed with Monster Cable. LoL

I have read many threads in this forum (and on the internet) and it seems that Blue Jeans audio cables seem to be a popular choice for mid-line quality without going expensive. Their website isn't very user-friendly and a little confusing in their explanations.

Seems like the popular vote recommends Monoprice for HDMIs, and Mogami Cables for XLR.

So here is my list of equipment that will need to be hooked up. I will use my existing Monster Cable Z2 speaker cable for the L/C/R.

82 or 85 inch Samsung LCD TV
Marantz AV-7705 Pre/Pro
Parasound A51 running main 5 channels, Energy RC-70, RC-LCR, and another set of RC-70's for rears (LoL, overkill in the rear,. maybe....haha)
Outlaw Audio 5000x or 7000x for Atmos (if 7000x, it will run Zone 3 Energy RC-70's in my bedroom)
Parasound A21 Running a pair of Energy RC-70's in Zone 2 in my home office
Dual 12" Monoprice Monolith Subwoofers
Not sure on the video source and Blu-ray player yet, I currently use a PS3 for that but I will replace it

I will have one dedicated 20A line that will have the A51 and one other item plugged into it--not sure which other piece yet.

So, I need HDMI cables, XLR cables, and maybe RCA Interconnects if I go with the Outlaw 5000x for Atmos and would then run a separate Parasound 2125 v2 for Zone 3 in my bedroom.

I will make this easy.....Please tell me which mid-line HDMI/XLR/RCA cables to purchase. I do not need the cheapest option but I am not spending thousands of dollars on them. Please include links if you want!

(I am tempted to go against everything I have ever believed and go the cheap route and try all Monoprice just to see what happens but I am hesitant....)

Love this forum and looking forward to see your replies.

😎It's just life, dude. We are all gonna die sometime--Might as well try and have a kickass time while we're still here.😜

Last edited by 355F1; 11-17-2019 at 10:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-18-2019, 12:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Blue Jeans is the only compnay I ever saw plain talking about HDMI cable construction and eye tests. BINGO, that's what I buy for video. Can't go wrong for other cables from them, but for other stuff Monoprice should be fine too. As an electrical engineer, I mostly don't believe in magic cables* and that a lot of stuff barfed out by cable companies is pure bull****. I don't think there is much difference to be heard, certainly if your systems isn't tens of thousands of dollars, though as a scientist I must admit "not tested much."** And you can find many people who will swear some cables made a tremendous difference, the truth of which is complicated by the placebo effect.

By the way, since you are building from scratch I hope you're making that room offset-stud? That would let you soundproof it much better.

*Aside from shielding or grounding, which can make a difference in some situations.
**I did hear a demo where speaker cables clearly made a small difference. However, it was a very expensive Levinson setup feeding Apogee Scintillas, which are a very low 1 ohm. One of the cable sets was MIT which had attached passive networks which I'm 99.99999999684% sure were the cause of the sonic difference.
post #3 of 13 Old 11-18-2019, 03:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2243 Post(s)
Liked: 1784
All of my cables (HDMI, RCA, XLR) are from Monoprice and never had a single issue.

No reason to spend more on anything else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 11-18-2019, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 514
I second Monoprice for HDMI cables. Make sure they are Premium Certified (for 4k) wherever you get them. See link.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15427

Sony A9G, Oppo 205, Parasound JC2, Parasound A21, Sonus Faber Olympica IIIs
post #5 of 13 Old 11-18-2019, 07:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I would go Monoprice all the way, this is what I use for my A/V connections. I changed the sub cable to Amazon Basics, which seems to be more flexible that the Monoprice it replaced.

About XLR, unless you have long runs or use for microphone, mogami will only make you feel good about using mogami, which is how I felt after buying some for mics in my my home recording studio. Just my opinion. I have short runs, all in my office where things are setup. The big win with mogami (for me) is that the newer mic cables look better, but when I stop looking at them the difference goes away

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #6 of 13 Old 11-18-2019, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Monoprice!!!
post #7 of 13 Old 11-18-2019, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by head_unit View Post
.... I'm 99.99999999684% sure were the cause of the sonic difference.
That sure?
post #8 of 13 Old 11-18-2019, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 6587 Post(s)
Liked: 5981
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
All of my cables (HDMI, RCA, XLR) are from Monoprice and never had a single issue.

No reason to spend more on anything else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by viorel View Post
I would go Monoprice all the way, this is what I use for my A/V connections. I changed the sub cable to Amazon Basics, which seems to be more flexible that the Monoprice it replaced.

About XLR, unless you have long runs or use for microphone, mogami will only make you feel good about using mogami, which is how I felt after buying some for mics in my my home recording studio. Just my opinion. I have short runs, all in my office where things are setup. The big win with mogami (for me) is that the newer mic cables look better, but when I stop looking at them the difference goes away

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellaseni View Post
Monoprice!!!

I will have to respectfully disagree. My Monoprice subwoofer cables had some pretty flaky connectors. If I moved one of my subs a couple of inches (for instance, to access the controls) the Monoprice would cause a large and potentially dangerous THUD from the sub. Since I switched to Blue Jeans cables, I can literally spin my subs 180 degrees without so much as a peep.

I vote Blue Jeans.
post #9 of 13 Old 11-18-2019, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2243 Post(s)
Liked: 1784
As long as the cable is built fine, I still will always advocate Monoprice. I've never had a loose connector or bad cable. But it is bound to happen as no QA is 100%.
post #10 of 13 Old 11-23-2019, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your thoughts and posts.

😎It's just life, dude. We are all gonna die sometime--Might as well try and have a kickass time while we're still here.😜
post #11 of 13 Old 11-24-2019, 02:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by head_unit View Post

By the way, since you are building from scratch I hope you're making that room offset-stud? That would let you soundproof it much better.
No idea what that means.

This is all going in my extremely open 17+x23+floor plan living room area--not a dedicated room.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-11-24 at 7.18.28 AM.png
Views:	13
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	2644922  

post #12 of 13 Old 11-24-2019, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by 355F1 View Post
No idea what that means.

This is all going in my extremely open 17+x23+floor plan living room area--not a dedicated room.
Yep, that will not help in an open space.
Are you having it built to your specs or this is from a builder.
Offset or staggered stud construction. That is what I did in my home's exterior walls. You use a 2x6 wall plates with 2x4 studs, staggered, one on the inside, one on the outside a number of inches away so there is no real direct stud all the way through the wall. two layers of insulation, on outside space, the other inside space. Tremendous sound transmission reduction from outside noise and insulation from heat transmission.
If you add up all the stud surface area, outside wall is about 20%-30% wood that has an R1 per inch value, not much insulation.
Lots more labor but worth it for the longrun.
post #13 of 13 Old 11-25-2019, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesJ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 355F1 View Post
No idea what that means.

Yep, that will not help in an open space.
Are you having it built to your specs or this is from a builder.
Offset or staggered stud construction. That is what I did in my home's exterior walls. You use a 2x6 wall plates with 2x4 studs, staggered, one on the inside, one on the outside a number of inches away so there is no real direct stud all the way through the wall. two layers of insulation, on outside space, the other inside space. Tremendous sound transmission reduction from outside noise and insulation from heat transmission.
If you add up all the stud surface area, outside wall is about 20%-30% wood that has an R1 per inch value, not much insulation.
Lots more labor but worth it for the longrun.
Umm...yeah. This isn’t for a dedicated room so I honestly don’t care about those kinds of details.

Just a nice fancy house in a nice neighborhood of other new homes. 🙂

Not custom. But not basic.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page