Advice on Rear Speaker Placement - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-20-2019, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Advice on Rear Speaker Placement

So I'm looking for a little advice on rear speaker placement in an Atmos setup.
A couple of weeks ago I lowered all my surrounds for better separation. I was able to try it out a little and it sounded much better but just trying to see the best spot for my rears.
I put my right surround speaker out further and a little lower while my left is closer as you can see in the picture. The right surround tweeter is just above the armrest of the second aimed at the MLP.
I see conflicting recommendations for Atmos but is it better to have the rears closer or further?
If I put them further out they will be a little wider than my L/R speakers but don't know if that matters either. Plus I will be able to lower my sides closer to ear level, but only about 4 inches.
I know it will be personal preference and will hopefully try this weekend. Just wanted to see if there are any recommendations. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Theater 11.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	2643604  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-21-2019, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 34
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/speaker-...des/index.html

this will be a good start

My Humble HT: Integra 40.3 Audyssey Calibrated / Denon 1930Ci SACD/DVD-A Player / Sony 3600 3D blu Ray / Behringer iNuke 3000DSP / Mach 5 IXL 18.4 Subwoofer / Optoma HD142x 3D REady 1080P DLP Projector / 92" 16:9 Manual screen / miniDSP HD2x4
post #3 of 5 Old 11-22-2019, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Nephilim1 View Post
Thanks for the link, yeah looking at that it shows the rears slightly further in than the mains but I know many people have pushed them further out towards the corner even in an Atmos setup. I will have to play with the setup hopefully this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-22-2019, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked: 816
I like mine about 4 feet apart, but certainly experiment and see what sounds right to you.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-22-2019, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
I like mine about 4 feet apart, but certainly experiment and see what sounds right to you.
Wow, that’s a lot closer than what I was going to try. I have them set up at 14 feet apart and was going to try them tonight but will also try them closer like that as well.
My rears are about 8 feet from listening position so I calculated about 9 feet apart would put me at the Dolby limit but can give it a shot even closer.
If I move them closer I will have to raise all the surrounds so the rears can clear the back sofa but only about 4 inches which shouldn’t make a difference.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page