• 1 Post By Leeliemix

post #1 of 15 Old 11-21-2019, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Want clearer tv audio

I've got a challenge from my wife who wants clearer tv audio. We both find -some- tv audio muddy.. No problem watching local or network news from Comcast X1 box. But, when it comes to films or dramas also on X1 or from Apple TV, some dialog is more difficult. I know I can set the center channel of my receiver a bit louder than L+R. But, what's the best EQ setting for my receiver?

I have a four-year old Yamaha TSR-5790 with HDMI connections from X1 box, AppleTV and Oppo Blu-Ray Player. The Yamaha feeds video to my 10-year old Samsung 40" HDTV. Speakers are 15-year-old Polk bookshelf speakers.

Anyone got any suggestions? The Yamaha doesn't have anything labeled like Clear Voice or Clear Dialog.

Art Shotwell
Anacortes, Wash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-21-2019, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 112
is your seat against a wall or half wall?

if so, pull it out as far as you can, (even 6 inches will help) and get some absorbtion behind your head on the wall...

if that doesn't help, I'd look at the rest of your room/speaker positions, followed by the speakers themselves...
DonoMan likes this.

Have a question and want it answered in podcast format?
[email protected]
http://www.avrant.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/avrant
post #3 of 15 Old 11-21-2019, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2441 Post(s)
Liked: 2282
Rerun YPAO for EQ.
If you need "louder" center (dialog)... make it louder.

Also... not all programming or sources are equal. Also... take note of the what the AVR "detects or reproduces" from the incoming signal from each source. Is it DPL, DD5.1 DPLIIx, PCM stereo, etc. ?
DonoMan likes this.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 11-21-2019, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 820
What kind of center channel speaker do you have? Is it at ear level or tilted so it is pointing directly at ear level? Is it on a stand or shelf? Is it all the way forward or all the way back? I would look at these things first, then rerunning YPAO, then perhaps boosting the trim level by 1db, etc. If you are looking to buy a center channel, you might want to check out the Polk LSiM 704c.
post #5 of 15 Old 11-21-2019, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by artshotwell View Post
I've got a challenge from my wife who wants clearer tv audio. We both find -some- tv audio muddy.. No problem watching local or network news from Comcast X1 box. But, when it comes to films or dramas also on X1 or from Apple TV, some dialog is more difficult. ...
I noticed similar problems as well. Interesting that local and network news comes in clear yet the others as you stated do not. How could this be a speaker issue?
I don't think it is but recording and mastering of the audio on those programs. Music at times is overpowering the dialogue, especially when it is whispers, yet the music is way too loud.
Also interesting that in the same scenes, one person can be understood and the other cannot. Again, I posit it is the way the audio is recorded, not a speaker issue.
post #6 of 15 Old 11-21-2019, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
What kind of center channel speaker do you have? Is it at ear level or tilted so it is pointing directly at ear level? Is it on a stand or shelf? Is it all the way forward or all the way back? I would look at these things first, then rerunning YPAO, then perhaps boosting the trim level by 1db, etc. If you are looking to buy a center channel, you might want to check out the Polk LSiM 704c.
Hmmm and it's now half-off @ $375...thanks
My center channel is a Polk RM8. Not great speaker but it fits in front of the tv. I'll rerun YPAO...

Art Shotwell
Anacortes, Wash.

Last edited by artshotwell; 11-21-2019 at 09:25 PM.
post #7 of 15 Old 11-21-2019, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcr159 View Post
is your seat against a wall or half wall?

if so, pull it out as far as you can, (even 6 inches will help) and get some absorbtion behind your head on the wall...

if that doesn't help, I'd look at the rest of your room/speaker positions, followed by the speakers themselves...
Interesting point, but the prime sofa is 3 feet from the back wall.

Art Shotwell
Anacortes, Wash.
post #8 of 15 Old 11-21-2019, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Interesting point, but the prime sofa is 3 feet from the back wall.
That’s good then for sure... since it only seems to be certain content and there isn’t anything with your room that is a typical issue, it is likely the mix in the content as another poster commented... not much you can do other than try cycling listening modes... also advice you got from another poster...

[email protected]
post #9 of 15 Old 11-21-2019, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcr159 View Post
That’s good then for sure... since it only seems to be certain content and there isn’t anything with your room that is a typical issue, it is likely the mix in the content as another poster commented... not much you can do other than try cycling listening modes... also advice you got from another poster...
I am wondering if it has to do with the format. Everything from cable comes in the form of Dolby Digital. But may not have started out that way.

Wife is suggesting replacing my Yamaha and Polk speakers with a sound bar that promises clear dialog. Nothing could replace the receiver.

Art Shotwell
Anacortes, Wash.
post #10 of 15 Old 11-21-2019, 09:40 PM

Quote:
I am wondering if it has to do with the format. Everything from cable comes in the form of Dolby Digital. But may not have started out that way.

Wife is suggesting replacing my Yamaha and Polk speakers with a sound bar that promises clear dialog. Nothing could replace the receiver.
Yeah, probably right on the encoding mix up... up mixing might actually help as it will potentially mix content into the center that is missing cause it mixed into the L/R...

And unless you are going with a Yamaha sound projector or their $600+ dollar sound bars that need a receiver anyway, you’ll be pretty disappointed... could you potentially get better processing or better controls in the receiver to help? Maybe. But you are happy with a lot of your playback on other content which tells me it isn’t the equipment or room... if you had a serious compromise in listening position like against a wall, or deep in a corner it’s possible that room treatments or changes to the setup could help some because you might be exciting modes in the room or something. Not that treatments behind you wouldn’t help if you don’t have them... they likely would. But it’s more likely that bad signals are the culprit...

[email protected]
post #11 of 15 Old 11-22-2019, 04:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Most denon/marantz have ‘dynamic volume’ which is part of audyssey, i think yamaha also has something similar, it normalizes volume so lowers loud and increases soft, might work for you on those programs that are problematic.

Also a lot of dialogue is very badly recorded/mastered so we just have to make the best of it. A soundbar wont fix this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
m0j0 likes this.
post #12 of 15 Old 11-22-2019, 05:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 820
Quote:
Hmmm and it's now half-off @ $375...thanks
My center channel is a Polk RM8. Not great speaker but it fits in front of the tv. I'll rerun YPAO...

It's actually 299 at Amazon right now.

https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-LS.../dp/B0062PAWGY
post #13 of 15 Old 11-22-2019, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Might simply need a little EQ for the center channel. If the voices sound “boomy” or bass-heavy, try cutting some at 100Hz or so. Also, a small boost at ~2 kHz can add some presence.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Equipment List
"A nice mid-fi system," according to an audiophile acquaintance.

Reviews and Tech Articles
post #14 of 15 Old 11-23-2019, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne A. Pflughaupt View Post
Might simply need a little EQ for the center channel. If the voices sound “boomy” or bass-heavy, try cutting some at 100Hz or so. Also, a small boost at ~2 kHz can add some presence.
Wayne, Thanks, I'll try that.

Art Shotwell
Anacortes, Wash.
post #15 of 15 Old 11-26-2019, 05:51 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Set the center channel louder, remove the low frequency from the center channel, check the sound settings for your TV, check the sound settings for your cable box, buy a Sony center channel speaker (because even though hated by enthusiasts, these handle vocal frequencies better than other speakers) or bite the bullet and buy a new Onkyo receiver with “vocal” control on the remote.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page