Not sure which device I'm after - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Roseval

post #1 of 5 Old 11-23-2019, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Not sure which device I'm after

Hello all.
On behalf of my grandparents, I'm hoping to find out a bit of information concerning streaming audio from her computer to her stereo.
I'm not sure as to the exact model of it, but it's a Sony stereo and probably a bit older given the look of it (and the CD slot, haha).

Anyway, she had a USB device she plugged into her computer. With it plugged it, she can then stream the radio on her computer (some French channel we can't get locally here), and it will play on the stereo.

Or, that's how it used to go before one of the kiddos she was babysitting ruined the usb device. Now, if the device had any sort of brand or marking on it, that's the first thing I'd have looked up, but... nope. Nothing written on it at all save three different FM channels to choose from.

Anyway, I've been trying to figure out exactly what kind of device it is that she had, so that she can get back to listening to her radio stations (:
I've been poking around the web and I see fm transmitter this, bluetooth that, most of which seem to be explicitly for cars, and I'm pretty confused, to say the least!
Any help would be appreciated! Cheers~
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	76243359_2128723350767824_802061584632381440_n.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	797.2 KB
ID:	2644416  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-23-2019, 06:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Ask them what they do on the Sony to receive the signal.
If they use the tuner, the dongle is probably a FM transmitter.
RayGuy likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-23-2019, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 162
The USB is an audio out device in that scenario. The computer does the actual streaming.
Which device you need depends on the input on her stereo. If it was analog (rca jacks) you'll want one with a DAC, MUSE DAC (on amazon) makes some nice inexpensive ones. There are dozens of others.
If the input on the stereo is digital you can use a simple USB Audio splitter. I use one that sends HDMI to one receiver and analog to a receiver in another zone.

Music, more music.

Last edited by altpensacola; 11-23-2019 at 11:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-24-2019, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
roseval: they use the tuner, yes! so in theory, all I'd have to do is get my hands on an fm transmitter that can plug into the computer via audio jack or usb? (I think hers went into the audio jack...? but maybe Also used the USB? I'll have to drop by and confirm, I've gone and gotten myself a bit confused xwx)

Some fm transmitters mention bluetooth, while some don't seem to -- are they the same? Or should I shoot for one that doesn't/does have bluetooth as well? I don't see them really wanting to use it for anything other than the stereo in the kitchen...

altpensacola: the first part made sense, but ya lost me a bit on the second part haha. If she's just using the tuner, all the DAC stuff is probably a non-issue, right? (Although I'll try to keep it in mind for when I get around to my own more modern setup~ (: Cheers)

Thanks to the both of you for your time and replies so far. Much appreciated.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-25-2019, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 162
OK sounds like they were using an FM transmitter. That is really old school.
But if the Sony has an AUX input and is next to the computer (for wiring direct) a USB DAC would work and sound much better.

Music, more music.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page